By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One has another price cut in UK! Now £329.99

fluky-nintendy said:
walsufnir said:
Fusioncode said:
With all the free game bundles and temporary price drops I can't imagine how much money Microsoft is losing on the console right now.

Hmm, I doubt it's that much. I think both consoles have almost the same price in manufacturing, PS4 could be even higher. And I heard a while ago that Sony is starting to make money with PS4 hardware so MS could be on profit with the hardware, too.

Difference is that Sony makes most of their electronic parts for their consoles or co-make with their partners such as toshiba. MS has to pay others to make for them I think.

Which parts do they do for PS4? I guess the main parts are also bought (CPUGPU, RAM, HDD). I don't see much of a difference this gen.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
sully1311 said:
Turkish said:
sully1311 said:
Prices for consoles in UK are going to be very good this Xmas. This will force PS4 to drop the price.

Hahahaha no you must be out of your mind. PS4 will still sell more and they will not pricecut the console because they're not threatened by MS's action. You might see temporary black friday deals but thats about it, true price cut will not come until summer or fall 2015.

I'm on about the UK not US. PS4 consoles are already around the £329 price.

Then why would Sony drop the price? They're already outselling the XB1 in the UK.

Because they may not after this price cut. MS will be marketing the **** out of the X1 starting this week for FIFA, then SO + H2 and then COD, AC and HMCC. All those adverts are going to state the price. Parents will see the X1 cheaper + the marketing. It's going to have an effect.

sully1311 said:
binary solo said:
Sony will react with bundles if anything. I don't see any reason for them to cut price, even if Xb one draws even with this price cut, which I doubt they will.

Because it's weaker and therefore should be cheaper hardware MS shouldn't be losing money at a slightly lower price point than PS4.

Doesn't the ESRAM inclusion in the X1 make the APU bigger than the PS4, meaning overall its more expensive?

it does. but PS4 has a second CPU (not sure if XB1 has) and the GDDR5 ram which is expensive compared to the DDR3 the bone uses. though, without actual numbers from Sony and MS we might never know. 

also take into consideration Sony has produced like double what MS did, and MS had to slow production down. 

celador said:
binary solo said:
Sony will react with bundles if anything. I don't see any reason for them to cut price, even if Xb one draws even with this price cut, which I doubt they will.

Because it's weaker and therefore should be cheaper hardware MS shouldn't be losing money at a slightly lower price point than PS4.

Sony make better hardware than MS, as evidenced by having a more powerful machine without having a power brick.  It wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 was more cost efficient than the X1.

External power brick can also be a design choice by MS but I agree built-in is more convenient. If it is better from a technical look I don't know - it definitely keeps heat out of the case. But this doesn't have to relate in cost efficiency.

Still not as bad as the WiiU pricedrops in UK in the same timeframe. (I don't mean official ones, of course)

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
binary solo said:

Doesn't the ESRAM inclusion in the X1 make the APU bigger than the PS4, meaning overall its more expensive?

its slightly bigger. but 6t esram is perfect to fit for future shrinks. thats the reason why ms went that way.

http://www.redgamingtech.com/xbox-one-die-shots-revealed-apu-info-comparison-against-ps4/

ps4: 328mm²

xb1: 363mm²

im curious how this will look after the 20nm shrink

sully1311 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
sully1311 said:

Then why would Sony drop the price? They're already outselling the XB1 in the UK.

Because they may not after this price cut. MS will be marketing the **** out of the X1 starting this week for FIFA, then SO + H2 and then COD, AC and HMCC. All those adverts are going to state the price. Parents will see the X1 cheaper + the marketing. It's going to have an effect.

But you said the PS4 is already around £329 so MS are simply matching the price of the PS4. Parents won't go for the cheapest anyway, they'll go for the console their children want and clearly the PS4 is the console to buy in the UK.

The PS5 Exists. 

walsufnir said:
binary solo said:

I somehow agree but performance in hardware doesn't always correlate with price.

We all know the key difference  in base costs is the unique ESRAM in Xb one that has no direct comparison in PS4, how much that element changes the base cost of the console, and is offset by the cheaper less powerful components such as the RAM is the unknown quantity. But I believe bill of materials analyses at the start of the gen suggested that Xb one came in at just a bit less than PS4, once you remove Kinect. Or am I not remembering correctly?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

GribbleGrunger said:
sully1311 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
sully1311 said:

But you said the PS4 is already around £329 so MS are simply matching the price of the PS4. Parents won't go for the cheapest anyway, they'll go for the console their children want and clearly the PS4 is the console to buy in the UK.

The RRP of the X1 is now £329, so retailers can discount that even further. PS4's is still £349.

More price cut please. XD