By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Romantic Advice Thread

Tagged games:

NiKKoM said:
Mr Khan said:
Trying to vet local coffee shops, as i'm resolved to ask her "for coffee" (or some equivalent light meal/drink), next Wednesday, but it's a very dense college district, so I worry about overcrowding. Sadly something i can only ask local people about, and it's hard to do so without offing my hand.

Key is that i only have an hour, which is a good thing because it provides a safe, no-pressure exit from the scenario, keeping it light and casual, but then it doesn't do if we have to spend a lot of time searching for a venue.

Seriously.. Relax.. You're putting way too much thought into it.. You're over expecting things right now making it dissappointing whatever happens.. She could say: "maybe another time".. And then we have 20+ replies in a new thread about the meaning of that.. Just try to wing it.. Where ever you ask her, just point to a direction and say "lets go there".. Even a nice walk and talk is at this point a win for you.. your worried about overcrowding? You haven't even asked her for coffee.. xD 

And don't you go thinking about what you are gonna talk about in that hour.. Waste of time, its never ever gonna be how you imagine it.. If trashleg and I would say 5 things to talk about it would be 9 different thing and 1 common and that is your study. An hour could be long or short but you'll only know it then.. So don't put energy into thinking about that (which is easy for me to say cause I'm a easy smooth talker, but seeing you posting here i know you can wing it..)

Step by step.. Relax.. Go play videogames.. You're gonna drive yourself nuts before wednesday..

I had a few thoughts on ice breakers, but i agree that for the most part the conversation has to be organic. (ice breakers just plant the seed and then follow the conversation from there), especially since how the conversation goes is the best indicator of compatability (not necessarily of romantic interest, i get that too. But a good conversation means she could, at least, be a friend).

Egh, i've got a lot to distract me before next Wednesday. New job that has me working a "full" shift on Mondays and Fridays, plus a paper due for the class i have with her that i have to pound out early because of the wedding i mentioned (i'm losing a weekend's worth of homework time).

Although since then i have a better idea of where to try, so long as the weather agrees (forecast says sunny and hot, though that could change), one which could work incidentally, since i think it's in the direction she would walk to catch the bus.

(yes, i know, overthinking. I know that whatever happens, it will be quite different from what I imagine, but I always feel more comfortable with a plan, even when i know things are going to go off-script. What i'm actually doing this semester is quite different from what my plans were four months ago, for instance)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

I had a few thoughts on ice breakers, but i agree that for the most part the conversation has to be organic. (ice breakers just plant the seed and then follow the conversation from there), especially since how the conversation goes is the best indicator of compatability (not necessarily of romantic interest, i get that too. But a good conversation means she could, at least, be a friend)

Although since then i have a better idea of where to try, so long as the weather agrees (forecast says sunny and hot, though that could change), one which could work incidentally, since i think it's in the direction she would walk to catch the bus.

(yes, i know, overthinking. I know that whatever happens, it will be quite different from what I imagine, but I always feel more comfortable with a plan, even when i know things are going to go off-script. What i'm actually doing this semester is quite different from what my plans were four months ago, for instance)

lol.. You checked out the weather.. Thats awesome.. You see.. Lets say i would take trashleg on a picnic on wednesday but suddenly it would start to rain.. What to do? Now we could do a raincheck.. Or like i actually did irl.. I break into one of the classrooms and we'll have our picnic right there on the floor of the class.. With a few students walking by thinking: Wut? And saying: sorry for distrubting you.. Now trashleg might think i'm insane but it would be a fun memory to have and might be one of the most romantic thing she has experienced.. Indoor picnic.. 

What i'm trying to say is that there are 2 persons involved and you will be unprepared on how the other will react and act no matter how you planned it.. Its good to have a general idea aka picnic/coffee..  But go with the flow.. Be surprised.. Enjoy the time with her instead of knowing which way her busstop is..(yeah that part, don't tell her that)

And only break in, into on of the classes after you are graduated for a few days.. This way they can't ban you and won't call the cops

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Mr Khan said:

I had a few thoughts on ice breakers, but i agree that for the most part the conversation has to be organic. (ice breakers just plant the seed and then follow the conversation from there), especially since how the conversation goes is the best indicator of compatability (not necessarily of romantic interest, i get that too. But a good conversation means she could, at least, be a friend)

And only break in, into on of the classes after you are graduated for a few days.. This way they can't ban you and won't call the cops

I agree with all of that, just wanted to add that i don't *know* where her bus stop is. I'm taking an educated guess because she lives in the same neighborhood as i do, and there are only two options. Unless she's driving.

Aside from seeing her in the neighborhood grocery store once, i've never managed to bump into her anywhere, and because my job's at our school, that's surprising. I see everyone at my job, it's great for socializing.

Meh.. You probably just didn't notice her before.. It happens.. Heck i missed my then gf when i was going up the escalator and she went down.. They ran paralell to each other.. Just remember this.. She could say "no" wednesday.. Work/parents/prior appointments.. Just learn to say a sentence which keep the door open.. Don't say: "Maybe some other time.." but say something like: "next week it is.." or "thats ok, we'll grab one later this week"

Do show interest in her.. You really want that coffee with her.. Its in the details how you speak to a women to win her heart.. But thats for later.. Otherwise trashleg would learn too much right now.. And she might leak our secrets to women over the world.

So this is either a dumb idea or a brilliant one that I wanted to run by you guys.

As i said before about the bus thing, she lives in the same neighborhood as I do (i forget which street, though, but perhaps only half a mile distant), but i've never run into her on the morning bus to school. There are 4 buses in 2 pairs of routes that I can take to get to school, of which i always (at least in the morning getting there) choose the two closest to my house. Unless she's driving, she's taking the other bus two blocks away. Ergo, i simply switch routes Wednesday morning, and i have a 50/50 shot of sharing a bus with her, giving us a chance to talk a bit before class, which sets things up for the easier ask afterwards.

Or would that be too transparent to work since i never ride that bus usually?

Around the Network

What did i say about overthinking things? You already know she will be in class.. Thats enough for now..
Dumb? Brilliant? Its borderline Desperate on a slim chance she takes the bus... Like i said.. Relax.. Save your energy.. At this point i'm 100% sure you'll have a sleepless night that Tuesday, which ain't good but there is nothing we can do about only you can. So.. Don't waste energy on thing you don't know how to handle with too many variables: does she take the bus, what if she's with a friend, there is a .001 chance you'll sit next to her etc..

We need you sharp for that hour of coffee drinking. The rest of the day doesn't matter. Be grumpy, mean, evil for the rest of the day, but that moment: be the man

Eh, you're right. No sense in fucking around with my morning cycle. Shit's sacred.

Plus that bus is probably why she was five minutes late for class last week... rather don't need that.

NiKKoM said:

lol.. You checked out the weather.. Thats awesome.. You see.. Lets say i would take trashleg on a picnic on wednesday but suddenly it would start to rain.. What to do? Now we could do a raincheck.. Or like i actually did irl.. I break into one of the classrooms and we'll have our picnic right there on the floor of the class.. With a few students walking by thinking: Wut? And saying: sorry for distrubting you.. Now trashleg might think i'm insane but it would be a fun memory to have and might be one of the most romantic thing she has experienced.. Indoor picnic.. 

Hiya, I'm Scottish. I was born and bred in the rain. Rain ain't putting me off a picnic.. xD but ohmigosh you're so romantic <3

Khan, stop thinking. 

Schhhhtop it. 

And don't change your schedule just to meet her. Bordering on infatuation rather than just wanting to get to know her. Be cool, buddy. Don't get so caught up in this. We got your back!

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
trashleg said:

Khan, stop thinking. 

Schhhhtop it. 

And don't change your schedule just to meet her. Bordering on infatuation rather than just wanting to get to know her. Be cool, buddy. Don't get so caught up in this. We got your back!

Well... that depends.. i don't know the time difference with Mr Kahn.. We europeans could be sleeping.. I wish I could be his wingman on this.. I regularly slap friends in the face when they are acting silly.

Do you need any last minute tips Mr Kahn? Just dress nice but don't be dressing too differently as normal.. thats a dead give away.. remember smints.. clean your nails, that one is important.. don't talk about anime, videogames unless she brings it up.. Breath.. and relax.. we all have been there before.. except Kirby007, he just leaves the money on the table..

NiKKoM said:
trashleg said:

Khan, stop thinking. 

Schhhhtop it. 

Well... that depends.. i don't know the time difference with Mr Kahn.. We europeans could be sleeping.. I wish I could be his wingman on this.. I regularly slap friends in the face when they are acting silly.

Do you need any last minute tips Mr Kahn? Just dress nice but don't be dressing too differently as normal.. thats a dead give away.. remember smints.. clean your nails, that one is important.. don't talk about anime, videogames unless she brings it up.. Breath.. and relax.. we all have been there before.. except Kirby007, he just leaves the money on the table..

Y'all should be at dinner 5-6 at night, depending on whether you're running on Daylight Savings (i know Trashleg in the UK is, the Dutch are not?)

I've got normal clothing (though my best-looking pair of shorts in the pile), and i know well better than to reveal my "power level" (as my old college roommate calls it when nerds interact with non-nerds, your nerdy references show your Power Level), but it's easier to do. We share academic interests to a broad degree, though i did find out she wasn't in my major, still in my degree program, which is quite close enough. I'm also going to grab some cash today, just in case.