By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Romantic Advice Thread

Tagged games:

Sometimes, friends, the sky opens up, and a ray shines down and a voice comes and says "hey you, yeah, you, down there with the umbrella. You know what? Today's gonna be your day."

I was on the way back from the bathroom when i caught her leaving her noon class (closer to three. We have three hour classes here!), she seemed distracted, so i just said "hi," and kept on going.

Back at my desk in the dean's office, she then comes in but minutes later, asking for my boss. She had a form and she was apparently trying to get a research position with the school. My boss happened to sneak out just before we approached her, so I told her she could just leave the form with my bosses mailbox, which she seemed reluctant to do as it had personal information (SSN, etc), so i took her into my boss' office, put the form on her desk and attached a sticky note. I almost tipped my hand when i was about to write her last name (which i would have no good reason to know right now, but happened to find. She's not using her proper last name on facebook), and she also complimented me on spelling her first name correctly, and simply asked about her last name.

So we walk and talk back to my desk near the door, then she passes on to leave. Stops, then, apparently with a stray thought, turned back and asked me about one of our assignments for the class we share, and we ended up talking for another five minutes or so.

*This* is what i was looking for, precisely, with that "bus plan" i had mentioned earlier, a chance meeting, a chance to talk.

I feel much more confident now in at least asking her. Or approaching to talk again.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

See.. go with flow.. no need trying to force anything.. Was it better then anything you could think about? yes it was.. go ask her for coffee.. Now normally I would say try to read her body language but freck that.. even trashleg doesn't know why she fiddles with her hair, why would a guy know.. just enjoy your time...

just remember if she says no: "thats ok, we'll grab one later this week" of when she says yes, you finish with: "we should do this again next week"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

15 minutes into class and she's a no-show so far. C'mon fate, you were kind to me yesterday

haha.. fate is saying you should have asked her yesterday.. xD

So did she showed up? if no, don't you go stalking her..

Around the Network

She did, sat right next to me which was why I could no longer communicate (showed up extra late, next to me was one of few remaining options)

Made the ask, got a "not today," so made a hard ask for next Wednesday which she agreed to, quite informally. She was busy typing an email on her phone so I didn't stay to chat.

So I got my "further into October" after all, but don't feel especially good about it for some reason. Perhaps because i wanted this to be over by today (one way or another, mini-date or flat rejection). Postponement prolongs the stress.

Oh well, Smash Bros this weekend, and my cousin's wedding. Won't be at home climbing the walls.

O/ hurrreaaaah.. At least she agreed to get a coffee with you..
Thats step 1... But now we have to keep the thread alive for another week...

Heh, this thread reminds me all too much of when I first met my girlfriend (coming up to two years now). Fates weren't as kind to me, though. First time we met, I dropped my lunch all over my suit.

Second time, the whole "gun rights" thing came up, and we got into an argument (she's come around after two years thought ).

You're braver than me, though, actually getting to ask her out like that. I had to initially ask her out... via a message... whilst out drunk with some friends. The message was flagged as "seen" within five minutes of asking... she didn't respond for hours. Fortunate for me, she said yes. Unfortunately for me, she picked a pricey Japanese restaurant (I should have known then what this thing would cost me), and doubly-unfortunately for me, I found out the reason why she took so long to respond was because she was contacting mutual people we knew to find out if I was safe to go out with... meaning that, essentially, everybody who knew us, knew that I asked her out, before I even knew the answer.

SamuelRSmith said:
Heh, this thread reminds me all too much of when I first met my girlfriend (coming up to two years now). Fates weren't as kind to me, though. First time we met, I dropped my lunch all over my suit.

Second time, the whole "gun rights" thing came up, and we got into an argument (she's come around after two years thought ).

You're braver than me, though, actually getting to ask her out like that. I had to initially ask her out... via a message... whilst out drunk with some friends. The message was flagged as "seen" within five minutes of asking... she didn't respond for hours. Fortunate for me, she said yes. Unfortunately for me, she picked a pricey Japanese restaurant (I should have known then what this thing would cost me), and doubly-unfortunately for me, I found out the reason why she took so long to respond was because she was contacting mutual people we knew to find out if I was safe to go out with... meaning that, essentially, everybody who knew us, knew that I asked her out, before I even knew the answer.

Precisely the kind of thing i'm hoping to avoid, because i hate people asking questions about stuff like this, unless they're someone i'm really tight with who i know really cares about me (so very close friends, or my parents. That's basically it on that front).

Jobs are in the same category. There were a lot of relatives in my family that you just couldn't talk about job prospects with, because then this or that happens, you don't get the job, then you endure a battery of "you didn't get the job, huh, well why not?" or similar well-meaning questions (they weren't being mean about it) that still made you feel bad about what happened. Relationships would be much the same way, though this is the closest i've come to even the general vicinity of a relationship in the last four years, so i don't  have any experience on that front.

Plus in this case i wanted to avoid putting her on the spot. She left class talking with a group of people, and i hung back (ended up talking to my project partner anyway,) waited until she split with them and got on an elevator, got on the same elevator (though still one more person in there), then was able to get a moment "alone" (still in a very public place, mind, not like i'm trying to corner her or anything) to make the ask. Just for something to drink or lunch, i said, vaguely motioning towards the open-air park outside our grad school building.

She hasn't unfriended me yet on facebook, so i know i haven't freaked her out

SamuelRSmith said

You're braver than me, though, actually getting to ask her out like that. 

Lol.. His original plan was sit closer to her in class and wait till mid october.. We had to persuade him for 100 posts to get to this point.. But anyway. Its good that Mr. Kahn did it so he can see for himself its ok to ask a girl to go for coffee.. Cause while we can talk about what he should do, its still himself who has to believe in our words and do it himself... Now he just has to learn to drink coffee..