By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who thinks the Halo franchise is over rated?

darklich13 said:
I see a common thing going on with the hate toward Halo. Most people that hate it suck at FPS. Just because you suck at a game dosen't make it overrated. Get some skill and quit being so biased.

I don't suck at FPS's at all :P It's just I take a look at Halo 3, then I take a look at Unreal 3.

Graphics, They both excel at the environments they aimed for.

Vehicles, UT3's vehicles are entirely better, like... all of them.

Weapons (this is a shooter) Halo's weapons are boring and very linear, they all pretty much handle and perform the same, Unreal s offer mods, and have secondary modes of fire which can REALLY spruce up frantic combat. Plus all the weapons in Halo sound terrible ><. Unreal takes this by a landslide :/

Stage Design, this is another area that Unreal just beats the sh*t out of Halo in, not only can you have modded stages, but there are so many unique things about the stages in unreal, this area isn't even comparable :( Did anyone see that Lego stage some dude created? :P

Every time I hear about Halo 3, I hear about how amazing it's multi-player is, and I PERSONALLY found it to be a very lacking experience by comparison :/ and Halo 3 gets perfect 10's thrown all over the place yet Unreal 3 (which I found to be a much better game) never garnished half of the attention. And believe it or not I say all of this without Bias :/ Unreal 3 and Halo 3 were the first of the series's that I got to play. I was actually looking forward to Halo 3 much more than I was Unreal also.

Halo does have 4 player split-screen though, which is awesome :) But it would be more awesome if the game it'self had the caliber of quality that I see out of Unreal :/

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I don't think Halo is overrated, its a great FPS, it just gets hated cause it gets pushed through everyones throat.

I think it's overrated in the sense it actually trailed FPS on PCs but got plaudits due to standing out on consoles. I also felt the story and iconic status was hyped beyond what the material really supports.

It is a very good game nonetheless, and very polished, but for me it trailed games like Half Life, etc. and PC online games in just about every way. Still does really. It's like all the excitement over the Forge in Halo 3 - hell years ago you got the level editor and could make entire new levels/content for PC FPS.

So overrated, yes, but still a good game and worthy seller.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Lots of series are overrated or over hyped for one reason or another.

Take the Metal Gear Solid series for example. It's filled with obnoxiously long dialogue especially with the codec for example and the storyline is pretty bad in places. I guess Kojima has or had dreams of being a movie director but it's obvious why he isn't one (at least to me). Anyways these things seem to detract a lot from the game, at least in my opinion.

Or take Super Smash Brothers Brawl, a game that is getting hyped to death. If Sakurai had instead made the game with Sony characters would Nintendo fans be so hyped? Would they even care about the game? Shouldn't a game as hyped as Brawl stand up regardless of what characters are used? Exactly and the reason in my opinion that it doesn't is because nostalgia plays a big part in many of Nintendo's games. Super Mario Galaxy, imagine if the exact same game had been made by EA but with non-Nintendo characters and enemies. Would it be at over 5 million sales right now? Doubtful. Would Nintendo fans be calling it the "other" greatest game ever? Not likely.

Oh and before anyone accuses me of trolling I'm just pointing out that the same situation exist with many franchise titles and characters, obviously it's okay to do with Halo so it should be okay to do with any series. To me games like Portal that really deserve a lot of hype (and which it got thankfully) are not as common as a lot of people would like to think.

I'd just like to state that if your complaint is that you don't like Console FPS's than that's not a complaint about the Halo series, it's a complaint about console FPS's.

If I say "I think Madden is so over rated because it's more fun to actually play sports" Then I'm actually complaining about sports games in general.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

@Legend, but the thing with MGS series is that people LIKE the story, I know for a fact I do, some people out there like games that play more like movies, myself included. Halo's story is by no means bad, in fact I wish they had more cut-scenes. Plus it plays exactly how they intended it to be played, there is lots of sneaking, and the story's are extremely well crafted with plot-twists and truly dynamic cinematic experiences.

Smash brothers I can more or less agree with even though I love the series, but thats just the way Nintendo does things :x

Halo at it's core is supposed to be a Sci-Fi shooter, and I've personally played many games that do everything Halo's done but better, yet never garnish a fraction of the hype or praise.

Halo 1 and 2 are great games, the third is incredibly overrated.

Overrated? Hell yes.
Great? Yes.

ChronotriggerJM said:
@Legend, but the thing with MGS series is that people LIKE the story, I know for a fact I do, some people out there like games that play more like movies, myself included. Halo's story is by no means bad, in fact I wish they had more cut-scenes. Plus it plays exactly how they intended it to be played, there is lots of sneaking, and the story's are extremely well crafted with plot-twists and truly dynamic cinematic experiences.

Smash brothers I can more or less agree with even though I love the series, but thats just the way Nintendo does things :x

Halo at it's core is supposed to be a Sci-Fi shooter, and I've personally played many games that do everything Halo's done but better, yet never garnish a fraction of the hype or praise.
 thats b/c they were not make or break games for a system 

@Mesotato, just because it may have been the first "Great game" on the Xbox doesn't mean that it deserves the praise it got >_> It should have stayed at that "Best game for the Xbox" not "Best game evar, period". After reading one of about a million reviews for Halo 3, it stated that this game should be the benchmark all other FPS creators should strive for, and that to me, is a stab in the face considering I don't think it's all that good of a game -_-; Great compared to similar titles that were released on that console, at that time, but just another drop in the pond if you ask me.