By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mojang: Yes, we’re being bought by Microsoft (confirmed for $2,5 Billion)

MohammadBadir said:
I doubt anybody would refuse a 2.5$ buyout for a single game.
Though the so-called "reasoning" behind Notch selling the company doesn't seem all that smart to me. Why would anyone feel pressure for owning one of the most famous games of the decade? Doesn't make sense IMO.

I think it does.  People get tired of working on the same project for years, especially when it was never supposed to be that way.  Minecraft took over their studio and their lives.  It's obvious that they want to work on other ideas and concepts but didn't have the time.

I know the feeling.  I've owned two businesses.  I worked hard to build them up and was excited by that.  However, when I sold them off, years down the line, it was a relief, as running a business takes over your life.  Nothing like getting a phone call at 4am because someone has smashed your windows and broken into your store or at 6am on a monday because the employee who is supposed to open is "sick".  I can't even imagine what it's like with a company that's suddenly worth billions of dollars.  They're developers who probably spent a lot more time running their business than actually developing.

I'm betting they wanted their freedom back and most likely already have concrete ideas about what they want to do.  It will be really interesting to see if Microsoft bought Mojang's other projects or if they'll basically just be a Minecraft management team.

Around the Network
FATALITY said:
Aerys said:
Worst decision ever...

The price of Capcom + 20 AAA as ambitious as TLOU ( 4 AAA each year...) + 20 AA with 10M budget

they have a lot billions to spend. they wouldnt spend 2.5b in mc if they didnt have a lot more to burn

I dont think they will ever spend 2,5b in exclusives for their console anyway, they could have done it a long time ago if they wanted to.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

my guess would be a free version with ads, or simply migrating the accounts system to xbox live.

theres no way, at all, theyre going to just leave it as is and upgrade it across all platforms equally.
theyre just not going to admit that right now in favor of not suiciding the pr

zarx said:

Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

Pretty much what I figured and I don't blame him in the slightest.

Aerys said:
Worst decision ever...

The price of Capcom + 20 AAA as ambitious as TLOU ( 4 AAA each year...) + 20 AA with 10M budget

yea, it seems this deal will see a pretty bad return of investment for MS

I don't doubt they can make another $1billion by continued sales of all versions of Minecraft + merchandise over the years, but $2.5billion now ofcourse is much more money in some years (inflation), especially if they had invested in something with pretty much guaranteed worth growth otherwise

so, MS is probably counting on a Minecraft 2 with similar success, although it might only come to MS platforms .. and I doubt that will happen

there will be a big fraction of people that simply don't need anything more than Minecraft 1; many will refuse to migrate to a different platform; a good chunk will migrate to the Minecraft clones with different/more features that pop up and will continue to be released; and lastly quite a few will not buy a Minecraft-like game again, because they got bored by that kind of game

In my opinion the situation will be similar to Nintendogs which lost ~85% of it's userbase on the 3DS, but I guess it won't be like Wii Fit, which lost ~98%

Around the Network
Aerys said:
FATALITY said:

I dont think they will ever spend 2,5b in exclusives for their console anyway, they could have done it a long time ago if they wanted to.

the game changed. sony is leading now they will have to do something.

its starting already

xbox bundle with 2 free games

tomb raider

minecraft

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Aerys said:
FATALITY said:
Aerys said:
Worst decision ever...

they have a lot billions to spend. they wouldnt spend 2.5b in mc if they didnt have a lot more to burn

MS will probably spend billions on exclusives for X1 throughout the generation. They said they were going to spend a billion on X1 exclusives during launch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Good news it stays on other platforms, if it didn't though they would have got some serious bad press etc so I never thought they would do that but all the same well done MS. The talent taking the money and leaving! Really should have asked for a discount! A waste of $2.5billion imo.

Financially, I don't see the value behind this acquisition. $2.5b when most of the revenue from Minecraft has been made. If MSFT eventually retools the series which they will, it most likely will not hit all platforms which is even less money. This is definitely for the mobile environment but I would love to see the logic behind the insane price tag.

Mr Puggsly said:
Aerys said:
FATALITY said:
Aerys said:
Worst decision ever...

MS will probably spend billions on exclusives for X1 throughout the generation. They said they were going to spend a billion on X1 exclusives during launch.

and that was when thought they had this generation on their pocket

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)