By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mojang: Yes, we’re being bought by Microsoft (confirmed for $2,5 Billion)

green_sky said:

It happened. 

"This is a game that has found its audience on touch devices, on phones, on iPads, on consoles, and obviously, at its true home on PC. Whether you're playing on Xbox, whether you're playing on Playstation, and on an Android & iOS device, our goal is to continue evolve and innovate with Minecraft across all those platforms."

i've been avoiding posting but...

...for ms to not play the take-away game with minecraft is pretty cool.   i mean,. it probably would have destroyed the franchise but to publically commit to keeping their newly aquired 1st party franchise on playstation, android, and iOS when they are in direct competition with those platforms is awefully generous of them.   no idea how ms is going to re-coup 2.5 Billion dollars on this purchase, i really think this is a terrible purchase for ms, but props for still supporting the existing userbase dispite the conflict in interest.

Around the Network

Sucks for Wii U fans. Vita version still coming because Microsoft knows that the system isn't a threat and it's just extra money in their pockets. Wii U version won't come even though it'd do very well.

A lot of uncertainties and "don't know"s there..

Worst decision ever...

The price of Capcom + 20 AAA as ambitious as TLOU ( 4 AAA each year...) + 20 AA with 10M budget

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

MohammadBadir said:
I doubt anybody would refuse a 2.5$ buyout for a single game.
Though the so-called "reasoning" behind Notch selling the company doesn't seem all that smart to me. Why would anyone feel pressure for owning one of the most famous games of the decade? Doesn't make sense IMO.

If I owned the GTA IP I wouldn't sell it for $2.5billion :p

Around the Network

Absolutely insane. I genuinely can't believe they've paid so much money for it.

Still, props to them for keeping Minecraft coming to other platforms. Vita version will be mine if it still comes.

They aren't too bad with that kinda stuff really. Fable releases on PC. They let Rare work on some DS spinoffs of their franchises.

Reminds me of Sony in the PS1 days letting Psygnosis develop for the Saturn.

kitler53 said:

"This is a game that has found its audience on touch devices, on phones, on iPads, on consoles, and obviously, at its true home on PC. Whether you're playing on Xbox, whether you're playing on Playstation, and on an Android & iOS device, our goal is to continue evolve and innovate with Minecraft across all those platforms."

i've been avoiding posting but...

...for ms to not play the take-away game with minecraft is pretty cool.   i mean,. it probably would have destroyed the franchise but to publically commit to keeping their newly aquired 1st party franchise on playstation, android, and iOS when they are in direct competition with those platforms is awefully generous of them.   no idea how ms is going to re-coup 2.5 Billion dollars on this purchase, i really think this is a terrible purchase for ms, but props for still supporting the existing userbase dispite the conflict in interest.

I think that's the main reason why MS isn't pulling the Minecraft plug on Playstation platforms. The PS3's userbase is a bit larger than the 360's and the PS4 has sold twice as much as the X1. That's a lot of customers MS will be missing out and consequently, hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

badgenome said:
Fusioncode said:

Vita version still coming

Wow. Microsoft supports the Vita more than Sony does.

That's.......very sad actually. :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Aerys said:
Worst decision ever...

The price of Capcom + 20 AAA as ambitious as TLOU ( 4 AAA each year...) + 20 AA with 10M budget

they have a lot billions to spend. they wouldnt spend 2.5b in mc if they didnt have a lot more to burn

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

From notch

I'm leaving Mojang

I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!