By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mojang: Yes, we’re being bought by Microsoft (confirmed for $2,5 Billion)

This is the second time MS bought a big games maker as the talent behind it left. I think this will fare better than Rare because Minecraft is so huge and a sequel would probably make a fortune, but the real value in Mojang would be the guys behind it, and the hope that they could make the "next" Minecraft. And now they have all left.

Around the Network
FATALITY said:
Aerys said:
FATALITY said:

I dont think they will ever spend 2,5b in exclusives for their console anyway, they could have done it a long time ago if they wanted to.

the game changed. sony is leading now they will have to do something.

its starting already

xbox bundle with 2 free games

tomb raider

minecraft

Well i think they could have beat sony at least in US and increase their sales in Europe ( and Japan with the good games )if they had 8 big exclusives games coming each year , with all that money...

Tomb Raider wont really help i think, since people know it will end on other platforms ( and is a multiplatform with 360)

Minecraft, same thing, mostly played by PC gamers and it's a multiplatform on console, exclusives updates wont help so much

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Teeqoz said:
"The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don’t know what they’re planning. It won’t be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool."

I found that interesting. The original creators of minecraft are leaving with all the money. 1,75 BN for Notch, ~ 0,36 BN each for Carl and Jeb (Jakob Bergstein).

Jeb is not one of the founders.  The Jakob they refer to is Jakob Porser.  Jeb = Jens Bergensten and he's still at Mojang.

thewayofthepath said:
Teeqoz said:
"The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don’t know what they’re planning. It won’t be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool."

I found that interesting. The original creators of minecraft are leaving with all the money. 1,75 BN for Notch, ~ 0,36 BN each for Carl and Jeb (Jakob Bergstein).

Jeb is not one of the founders.  The Jakob they refer to is Jakob Porser.  Jeb = Jens Bergensten and he's still at Mojang.

Oh, thanks for letting me know, I wasn't sure that Jakob was Jeb, I just assumed so, because his name started with J  

Mr Puggsly said:
Aerys said:
FATALITY said:
Aerys said:
Worst decision ever...

The price of Capcom + 20 AAA as ambitious as TLOU ( 4 AAA each year...) + 20 AA with 10M budget

they have a lot billions to spend. they wouldnt spend 2.5b in mc if they didnt have a lot more to burn

I dont think they will ever spend 2,5b in exclusives for their console anyway, they could have done it a long time ago if they wanted to.

MS will probably spend billions on exclusives for X1 throughout the generation. They said they were going to spend a billion on X1 exclusives during launch.

Yes for timed exclusive like Tomb Raider, Titanfall, exclusive marketing on COD, Madden, Fifa, ...

We still wait to see more; with such money, they could have done so much.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

Not a bad deal.
if they sell 10m copies at thirty bucks a hit they'd easily make the money back.

MohammadBadir said:
badgenome said:
Fusioncode said:

Vita version still coming

Wow. Microsoft supports the Vita more than Sony does.

LMAO!!!

bananaking21 said:
Teeqoz said:

and thats why this is such a stupid move. the real talent behind the game left! 2.5 billion !! 

The real talent did not left because the real talent was the community. Notch was an idiot ripping of other games and making a horriblly optimized mess that was runnin on java.
His team even started to copy community stuff (instead of just asking the community for permission) and made e.g NPCs that are not even 1/100th of the quality of the community NPCs etc etc.   Notch as nothing else than an idiot that got lucky.

theprof00 said:
Not a bad deal.
if they sell 10m copies at thirty bucks a hit they'd easily make the money back.

You need a new calculator

Also, Phil Spencer claims the deal will break even by the end of FY 2015, as far as accounting department is concerned... 

theprof00 said:
Not a bad deal.

Check your math.  10m x $30 is only $300M.

They would need to sell 84 million copies at $30 each to reach $2.5 billion

I am expecting Minecraft Harry potter, Minecraft Star Wars, Minecraft Lord of the rings, Minecraft Batman... etc.