By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

Ya but that is only in NA, globally 3DS is about 4m ahead of the PSP in the same time frame

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

I too don`t want Nintendo to be in that high price range.

Something in between might be the best way to tell parents that it`s cheap enough for their kids but also good enough for them to use aswell, so they feel more comfortable when thinking about buying one.

To be honest, they could sell a pretty kick ass tablet for $179-$199 if they were willing to use more off-the-shelf/heavily mass produced components. They could initially take a somewhat smaller profit margin/unit (maybe $5 profit/system). 

But as costs scale down over time that $5 would turn into $10-$25/unit profit if they could hold the same MSRP. 

Could a tablet of, let`s say 250$, work with a better console than PS4?

Unless Nintendo feels confident that they can sell several million tablets, that profit might be too low for them at first. Tablets tend to drop prices faster than consoles.

outlawauron said:
AZWification said:
leo-j said:
Tablets will kill Nintendo handhelds

Nah.. Nintendo handhelds will be affected by tablets, but not killed!

It's a slow death. 3DS will end around half of the DS' lifetime sales. How well will the successor do? 40-50 million lifetime?

There will be a bottom point for all that. iTunes and other sites sell MP3 etc. But companies still produce CD's for people. That's what will happen in the future. Nintendo could easily get fucked. If a lot of people abandon them, because of the 3rd party problem on top of all this.

DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

Something in between might be the best way to tell parents that it`s cheap enough for their kids but also good enough for them to use aswell, so they feel more comfortable when thinking about buying one.

To be honest, they could sell a pretty kick ass tablet for $179-$199 if they were willing to use more off-the-shelf/heavily mass produced components. They could initially take a somewhat smaller profit margin/unit (maybe $5 profit/system). 

But as costs scale down over time that $5 would turn into $10-$25/unit profit if they could hold the same MSRP. 

Unless Nintendo feels confident that they can sell several million tablets, that profit might be too low for them at first. Tablets tend to drop prices faster than consoles.

Short answer: if you're asking whether a tablet could be better than a PS4 hardware wise, the answer is no. Tablets are a ways off from that. 

The profit really needs to come from amiibo toys + game sales though, traditionally tablets have a larger profit margin because ASUS can only make money off the tablet sale itself, they don't have game sales or toys to fall back on like Nintendo would which is a huge advantage for Nintendo, the hardware sales are just gravy. 

I'd say as long as they're not losing money on the hardware, then there's no way such a device shouldn't be profitable. And I think if they start at a low price point to begin with (say $199) there isn't much of a need to continually drop the price. 

outlawauron said:
AZWification said:

It's a slow death. 3DS will end around half of the DS' lifetime sales. How well will the successor do? 40-50 million lifetime?

What Soundwave said. They are most likely going with a Fusion device during the 9th generation!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

Short answer: if you're asking whether a tablet could be better than a PS4 hardware wise, the answer is no. Tablets are a ways off from that. 

The profit really needs to come from amiibo toys + game sales though, traditionally tablets have a larger profit margin because ASUS can only make money off the tablet sale itself, they don't have game sales or toys to fall back on like Nintendo would which is a huge advantage for Nintendo, the hardware sales are just gravy. 

I'd say as long as they're not losing money on the hardware, then there's no way such a device shouldn't be profitable. And I think if they start at a low price point to begin with (say $199) there isn't much of a need to continually drop the price. 

You can stuff fans into a tablet. It'll be a little thicket, but still portable. So yes before the end of the PS4 lifecycle we will see tablets more powerful than it. Let that sink in. Considering we have tablets more powerful than an Xbox 360 and PS3 right now.

AZWification said:
outlawauron said:
AZWification said:

What Soundwave said. They are most likely going with a Fusion device during the 9th generation!

I'm skeptical of their ability to successfully develop and market that kind of device, but I'd really like to see them try.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

If I had time and energy right now, I'd go dig up old threads where I said the 3DS would go nowhere near the DS' success and that dedicated handhelds would take a massive hit from smart devices and go through all the naysayers' posts telling me how wrong I was.

Maybe another time, all I'll say for now is; I'm not in the least bit surprised. It's all as expected.

So, the 3DS is going to sell less than the PSP lifetime? That's...sad.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

I was asking if a tablet in the 199-299$ range would be powerful enough to stream games from a better PS4.

Yeah, they could even have amiibo work with the tablet aswell.
With a lower price point there might really be enough. That could work.