By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Super Smash Bros Wii U doesn't come out this Holiday, will it cripple the Wii U more?

It's pretty evident to me that Nintendo is focusing on the version of Smash Bros which is coming out first. After that game launches you'll see them focus the attention on Smash Bros Wiiu. I don't really see any evidence of it not coming out this year.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If Smash Wii U isn't out for this Black Friday, and I expect it won't be, Nintendo can kiss any chance of finishing second this gen goodbye.

Of course, they'd have to be absolute morons to do something so obviously suicidal, but hey, at this point I reckon a brain-damaged lemur could run the company better than the schmucks who do.

you do expect, you simply don't want to. it's called bias, haterism...

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

I hope it comes out this year, I am a die hard Nintendo fan since the SNES days, but Nintendo has pulled crap like this before (Spaceworld 2000 Zelda Gamecube demo anyone?). I really hope a week or two after Smash 3ds is release we heard a plethora of info solely on the Wii U version. If not, they can kiss 2nd place in this gen GOODBYE!

How the devil is the Zelda demo from 2000 remotely comparable to this situation?

As for second place this generation, unless amiibo takes off massively, Nintendo can kiss second place goodbye: they simply don't have the software support to maintain a higher global baseline than Microsoft, who will continue to receive large amounts of third party support. Nintendo, without a mass-market hook, and with Wii U having failed to make any meaningful headway so far, aren't going to turn the system around now.

As for Nintendo not announcing details on Smash U yet, it does make sense. Every reveal up until the last few weeks has largely composed of footage of the Wii U version. The majority of footage at E3 was for the U version. The 3DS version is getting attention now because its release is imminent, Nintendo can turn the spotlight onto the Wii U version once the 3DS version is out the door globally. 

As for Bayonetta 2, we're getting information now because the game is close to release, around 6 weeks away. If Smash U is debuting late November/early December, Nintendo should host a Smash U Direct sometime next month. There's clear precedent for Nintendo to do this; Aonuma wanted to reveal Zelda U at E3 2013, but held off because of Wind Waker HD and Link Between Worlds. Mario Kart 8 had a Direct one month before its release, Hyrule Warriors had a Direct last month. Wonderful 101 had a Direct a few weeks before release. 

Nintendo have announced pricing details for amiibo globally. Smash U is the launch game for amiibo, and amiibo is still coming this year. A delay isn't on the cards at this point.

vivster said:
So will less people buy WiiU LTD if Smash comes out a few months later?

Spoiler:
No.

Fewer people will buy the wiii u if they miss the holiday sales season in the West particularly if they miss Black Friday 

kust as importantly it will hurt their momentum

No, but it'll cripple my bet with Jizzbeard.

Around the Network

I think it's a huge opportunity that shouldn't be missed. December release at latest would be best. I think Smash will still sell amazingly regardless, but this is important.

Wildcard36qs said:
You all are crazy thinking it wont come out this year after all we have seen. This is like Nintendo's Watch_Dogs. They were focusing on the 3DS version and once it is released they will shift focus fully onto Wii U. Sakurai said this himself. It is coming November for sure.

Maybe it will come this holiday but miss black friday, is not like it has never happened before Melee was released on december 3rd, what will happen then? they are keeping their promise (winter 2014), but they are missing the push of the shopping spree... what will happen then?

They're promoting the 3DS version first because that's what's coming first. They're really just worried that Wii U will cannibalize the 3DS version, because the series has always been on consoles.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think this question is self explanatory. That would be a very very very hard, and almost impossible for Nintendo to stay second.

I really don't think its going to be delayed, Nintendo is treating the Wii U version as the Wii U's holiday flag ship title. If they delay it till next year you can cut Wii U sales this holiday season in half and Smash U sales by about a good 25%

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.