By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox One Suffers Worst Launch Sales In Recent History For A Home Console In Japan

Ninsect said:
Goatseye said:
Let Japan crumble under it's stubbornness to vary their taste or support Western games.
I mean how can a whole nation have a common taste for the same genre? Nintendo platformers, JRPGs and dating sims.

Eh, GTAV was the most popular PS3 game last year I believe (and probably this year as well).

Edit: But I'd love to see you "vary your taste" and buy what the japs gobble up.

I buy Platinum Games titles, Sonic, Street Fighter, Nintendo games when I buy their console etc...
More than your average Japanese gamer.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Goatseye said:
Let Japan crumble under it's stubbornness to vary their taste or support Western games.
I mean how can a whole nation have a common taste for the same genre? Nintendo platformers, JRPGs and dating sims.

And yet Destiny looks to be doing quite well in Japan, not to mention fighting games, musou titles, and open-world games like Yakuza and GTA.

Imagine that, a broad stereotype that turns out to be painfully inaccurate.

Goatseye said:

No pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously, do you know why they're not fond of Western titles?

It's not even an Asian thing, it's Japanese.

Outside of a simple matter of taste, I suppose there is still a lingering "yoge = kusoge" mentality from the days when Japan ruled the gaming roost. But that seems to be decreasing as big western games can now handily outsell most Japanese games, if only because console market in general is in the process of shitting the bed over there.

That's my guess, anyway. Why do you think it is?

Xbox One is dead in Japan and UK. US numbers are almost there. Microsoft needs a price-cut and offer free games.

badgenome said:
Goatseye said:

No pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously, do you know why they're not fond of Western titles?

It's not even an Asian thing, it's Japanese.

Outside of a simple matter of taste, I suppose there is still a lingering "yoge = kusoge" mentality from the days when Japan ruled the gaming roost. But that seems to be decreasing as big western games can now handily outsell most Japanese games, if only because console market in general is in the process of shitting the bed over there.

That's my guess, anyway. Why do you think it is?

I really don't know because modern Japan is a black hole to me.

They seem very closed to the world and "yoge=kusoge" just reinforces my suspicion.

The question that lingers in my mind though is, with internet and all other social media, why they haven't approached or let West approach them?

Do they want to remain an isolationist nation?

Around the Network

Yay the 3rd thread on this topic.

I bet ms doesn't care about Japan and is focusing on China

Goatseye said:
pokoko said:
Goatseye said:

And yet Destiny looks to be doing quite well in Japan, not to mention fighting games, musou titles, and open-world games like Yakuza and GTA.

Imagine that, a broad stereotype that turns out to be painfully inaccurate.

You might want to edit out that "or" in your first sentence or else your reply looks kind of silly.  You also seemed to imply that Japan is only interested in the three genres you listed, which is obviously far from true.  I was pointing that out for you.

As far as a whole nation having a common interest in the same genre, you know about FPS games, right?  I understand that Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Destiny do pretty well in many western countries.

Look, honestly, it really just seems that you're angry at Japan for not liking the Xbox One.  Don't you think that's a bit silly?  There are several western IP that do sell quite well in Japan--on Playstation.  It seems pretty logical to me that the console that has the most Japanese and western games combined would be the more popular. 

pokoko said:

You might want to edit out that "or" in your first sentence or else your reply looks kind of silly.  You also seemed to imply that Japan is only interested in the three genres you listed, which is obviously far from true.  I was pointing that out for you.

As far as a whole nation having a common interest in the same genre, you know about FPS games, right?  I understand that Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Destiny do pretty well in many western countries.

Look, honestly, it really just seems that you're angry at Japan for not liking the Xbox One.  Don't you think that's a bit silly?  There are several western IP that do sell quite well in Japan--on Playstation.  It seems pretty logical to me that the console that has the most Japanese and western games combined would be the more popular. 

Oh, I'm foaming right now. I have stocks on MS and they depend on X1 performance in Japan.

Spare me of this man. I just don't want to see my favorite publishers and devs from Japan suffer because of the receeding console market in there.

I want to see Platinum Games make Vanquish 2 and Sega publish more Foot. Manager and Virtua Fighter. Oh and Namco publish a proper Ace Combat.

sully1311 said:
Why do we need another thread on this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=190013

b/c posters need to know which section to post stuff in i only checked sales and latest chartz prior to submitting

Play Me

Goatseye said:

I really don't know because modern Japan is a black hole to me.

They seem very closed to the world and "yoge=kusoge" just reinforces my suspicion.

The question that lingers in my mind though is, with internet and all other social media, why they haven't approached or let West approach them?

Do they want to remain an isolationist nation?

The language barrier is quite a bit higher than between western nations, for one thing. Plus I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Japan has traditionally been such a large market with a population that dwarfed any western nation's save the US and Brazil that they've been able to afford to just cater to themselves. Now that they're in demographic free fall and facing seemingly terminal economic recession, it will be interesting to see if in the coming years they're more inclined to reach out or just become angry and ever more insular.