By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox One Suffers Worst Launch Sales In Recent History For A Home Console In Japan

Goatseye said:
Let Japan crumble under it's stubbornness to vary their taste or support Western games.
I mean how can a whole nation have a common taste for the same genre? Nintendo platformers, JRPGs and dating sims.

Resident Evil, GTA V, Gran Turismo, Hot shots golf, Yakuza, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, CoD, PES. All with an attach rate on PS3 of over 5%. Globally, in the globe a 5% PS3 attach rate is a game that sells over 4 million. So proportionally all those games have done well in Japan, and none of them fit in your condescending list.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Azerth said:
Yay the 3rd thread on this topic.

I bet ms doesn't care about Japan and is focusing on China

I guess focussing on a market for which they have permission, but no guarantee, to sell 5 million consoles is better than focussing on a completely open market that may not even sell 500K units. But I wonder if the return on effort for 5 million consoles is going to be worth it. Unless there is some assurance that they will get permission for another 5 million, or more.

China seems to be a focus for the hopes and dreams of a lot of Xbox fans here. But PS4 is coming to China, officially, and while Xb one might sell better than PS4, it's not going to be a Japan situation in reverse. For itself China might help Xb one to sell better over its lifetime than what it's looking like now, but to do that in any substantial way they realistically need permission to sell at least 10 million units during the course of the generation. Sony, on the other hand could completely ignore China and still look to cruise in to 100 million for the generation, wither Wii U and Xb one both eating dust.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Azerth said:
Yay the 3rd thread on this topic.

I bet ms doesn't care about Japan and is focusing on China

I guess focussing on a market for which they have permission, but no guarantee, to sell 5 million consoles is better than focussing on a completely open market that may not even sell 500K units. But I wonder if the return on effort for 5 million consoles is going to be worth it. Unless there is some assurance that they will get permission for another 5 million, or more.

China seems to be a focus for the hopes and dreams of a lot of Xbox fans here. But PS4 is coming to China, officially, and while Xb one might sell better than PS4, it's not going to be a Japan situation in reverse. For itself China might help Xb one to sell better over its lifetime than what it's looking like now, but to do that in any substantial way they realistically need permission to sell at least 10 million units during the course of the generation. Sony, on the other hand could completely ignore China and still look to cruise in to 100 million for the generation, wither Wii U and Xb one both eating dust.

That is the whole sad thing, i;ve seen 3 xbox fans today basically turning to china now as ther enext battleground as ps4 is killing x1 everywhere else....When ps4 launches in china it will outsell x1 there as well.

iamdamessiah said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Meh, things are looking good in China at least.

China is not going to be much of a market...they have not done anything more for china then thay have japan/

It's a growing market and that could benefit the Xbox One. I'm not saying it's going to sell gangbusters in China but it'll sell pretty solidly 

platformmaster918 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Its japan, not surprising

look at the 360 number then tell me that.  This is bad even for MS in Japan.

they should have launched a lot earlier, they where not ready.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Goatseye said:
Let Japan crumble under it's stubbornness to vary their taste or support Western games.
I mean how can a whole nation have a common taste for the same genre? Nintendo platformers, JRPGs and dating sims.

Resident Evil, GTA V, Gran Turismo, Hot shots golf, Yakuza, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, CoD, PES. All with an attach rate on PS3 of over 5%. Globally, in the globe a 5% PS3 attach rate is a game that sells over 4 million. So proportionally all those games have done well in Japan, and none of them fit in your condescending list.

Sure my condescending list. Congratulations on finding 2 Western games (GTA and COD) that are kind of exception to the rule.

Max COD has reached salewise in Japan is 0.55 mil, if that is successful to you, ok then.

Goatseye said:
pokoko said:

You might want to edit out that "or" in your first sentence or else your reply looks kind of silly.  You also seemed to imply that Japan is only interested in the three genres you listed, which is obviously far from true.  I was pointing that out for you.

As far as a whole nation having a common interest in the same genre, you know about FPS games, right?  I understand that Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Destiny do pretty well in many western countries.

Look, honestly, it really just seems that you're angry at Japan for not liking the Xbox One.  Don't you think that's a bit silly?  There are several western IP that do sell quite well in Japan--on Playstation.  It seems pretty logical to me that the console that has the most Japanese and western games combined would be the more popular. 

Oh, I'm foaming right now. I have stocks on MS and they depend on X1 performance in Japan.

Spare me of this man. I just don't want to see my favorite publishers and devs from Japan suffer because of the receeding console market in there.

I want to see Platinum Games make Vanquish 2 and Sega publish more Foot. Manager and Virtua Fighter. Oh and Namco publish a proper Ace Combat.

They will.  It just won't be released on the One. 

thismeintiel said:
Goatseye said:

Oh, I'm foaming right now. I have stocks on MS and they depend on X1 performance in Japan.

Spare me of this man. I just don't want to see my favorite publishers and devs from Japan suffer because of the receeding console market in there.

I want to see Platinum Games make Vanquish 2 and Sega publish more Foot. Manager and Virtua Fighter. Oh and Namco publish a proper Ace Combat.

They will.  It just won't be released on the One. 

PG has a different mindset and they don't mind making money.

As for Seg, Virtua Fighter is the only console title I want from them at this moment.

Namco I damn know that if they publish a proper AC it will be on Xbox like Ace Combat 6. The last good one.

All eyes are now in China. Nintendo and Sony are probably perplexed with the Xbox One sales there, more than 100k pre-orders.
These companies are probably rethinking their whole strategy on China, what a game changer that market will be for all three consoles, it can probably be the 4th or 5th biggest gaming market till the end of 2015.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Goatseye said:
binary solo said:
Goatseye said:

Sure my condescending list. Congratulations on finding 2 Western games (GTA and COD) that are kind of exception to the rule.

Max COD has reached salewise in Japan is 0.55 mil, if that is successful to you, ok then.

Nice shift of the goalposts there.

That's 9 games which do not fit in your " Nintendo platformers, JRPGs and dating sims" list. And isn't a >5% attach rate, for a genre that is not particularly popular in Japan, successful? Tell me why selling the equivalent of 4.5 million globally isn't successful? Based on attach rate, CoD's 0.55 million is more succesful on PS3 in Japan than these games on PS3 globally: AC: revelations, Batman AA, GT5P, GT6, Every Madden game, Fifa 9 and 10, Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6, Every Battlefield except BF3 and several hundred other games. So yes, 0.55 million in Japan is successful by any reasonable measure.

Jimi Hendrix