By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Destiny makes $500 million Day One

Just to clarify some people's assumptions, Activision did not earn $500 million in income. That is the total retail value. Activision's share is probably half of that ($250 million), with the rest going to retail stores, platform royalties, shipping costs, etc. However, that is still probably enough to cover the initial development costs, marketing, and future DLC development.

Assuming that 10% of people bought the $100 Guardian edition, or bought the $35 Season Pass in addition to the game, the sales for day one are about 7.15 million copies.

In my opinion, the sell through for day 1 would have been about 6.4 million. I expect week one to be about 9.6 million (1.5 x day 1 sales).

My prediction for the platform breakdown for day 1 is as follows:
PS4 - 3.0 million
XB1 - 1.8 million
360 - 1.0 million
PS3 - 0.6 million

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
mornelithe said:

"That number has been widely misinterpreted as a production number for the first game," Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg explained in an interview today at Gamescom. "That number is an all-inclusive number that's several years worth of investment, including marketing and several games, and a lot of up front investment in things like engines and tools that will be able to be used for years to come."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/13/destiny-500-million/

Well damn.  Bungie sure got the short end of the stick then didn't they.

What do you mean?  They basically got the bulk of their marketing and engine costs paid for by Activision for the next 10 years/4ip, that's pretty much a win-win for both companies.  Acti's got a new blockbuster franchise to pimp, and Bungie's got financial flexibility for years to come.  

DM235 said:
Just to clarify some people's assumptions, Activision did not earn $500 million in income. That is the total retail value. Activision's share is probably half of that ($250 million), with the rest going to retail stores, platform royalties, shipping costs, etc. However, that is still probably enough to cover the initial development costs, marketing, and future DLC development.

Assuming that 10% of people bought the $100 Guardian edition, or bought the $35 Season Pass in addition to the game, the sales for day one are about 7.15 million copies.

In my opinion, the sell through for day 1 would have been about 6.4 million. I expect week one to be about 9.6 million (1.5 x day 1 sales).

My prediction for the platform breakdown for day 1 is as follows:
PS4 - 3.0 million
XB1 - 1.8 million
360 - 1.0 million
PS3 - 0.6 million

I agree with most of what you've said, except that they probably aren't talking retail price.  If they're talking wholesale, or the price at which Activision sold to market, then the price per unit would be lower, as it wouldn't include retail mark-up.  Throwing digital sales into the mix makes trying to reverse-engineer the math even harder.

Well...., good for them, but for me this is another huge disappointment like Watch Dogs was. I must admit that I only played the first 5-10h but until now...., this game is BORING, boring storyline, boring gameplay, boring characters, boring scenary. I know I should wait to play more, but the same thing I said to me with Watch Dogs and the game never got better for me.

As a huge fan of Halo (I played Halo 1 and 2 on PC) that couldn't play most of those games because I had no Xbox, I was expecting some "Halo magic" and awesomeness from Destiny but this game only borrows ideas from other games (Diablo, Borderlands, Mass Effect, Halo,...) doing nothing better than those games and without bringing anything new to the table.

This is another game inflated with hype, and nothing more, and I'm just as guilty to cooperate in this like anyone who bought this game at launch. In the past, the best selling games used to sell good because they were good, people knew it and spread the word to others, now they only need huge advertisment, good trailers, just a few glimpses of gameplay (because let's face it ,we knew little about the game even with a Beta) with some brand recognition and there you have it.

I really wish the game gets better with time and this rant looks silly in a few days but...., I really doubt it.

And now we get to see the legs

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
And now we get to see the legs

Provided the actual game itself doesn't suck, you should see an effect similar to what occurred when the Alpha and Beta's went live.  Ergo, word of mouth advertising just went through the roof.  Should do well for the foreseeable future, if initial reactions are positive.

Um, does this mean Destiny did about 7 million in sales in less than 24 hours? I wonder how many of those were white PS4s.

even though i have no interest in the game, im happy seeing this because you can tell that the guys at Bungie were in love with this project and i am glad they are getting the attention they deserve.

mornelithe said:
kupomogli said:
mornelithe said:

"That number has been widely misinterpreted as a production number for the first game," Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg explained in an interview today at Gamescom. "That number is an all-inclusive number that's several years worth of investment, including marketing and several games, and a lot of up front investment in things like engines and tools that will be able to be used for years to come."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/13/destiny-500-million/

Well damn.  Bungie sure got the short end of the stick then didn't they.

What do you mean?  They basically got the bulk of their marketing and engine costs paid for by Activision for the next 10 years/4ip, that's pretty much a win-win for both companies.  Acti's got a new blockbuster franchise to pimp, and Bungie's got financial flexibility for years to come.  

Bungie  only made $500 million off the deal, while Activision gets the next big franchise.  In the next eight years, we're guaranteed to see atleast four more Destiny titles and Bungie is going to only be paid regular development costs, so we'll say 50 million per year, while Activision profits billions per game.

Now I do agree it's Activision that took the risk as there's the possibility that Destiny wouldn't become the next big thing.  In that case it would have been Bungie that won out.  I just feel that Bungie's probably wishing they asked for more.

Just a little anecdotal evidence for you from my supermarket here in the UK. We sold more copies on X1 than PS4. 37% more.

Watch Dogs also sold about double the amount of units we sold day one. Well check back at the end of the week.