By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

The article everyone is going to see by the morning.

“I’m a big fan of Minecraft”, said Spencer, “and I wish we had a game like that. We’ve started some, and we’ve looked at them. But we don’t have one today of that quality. This partnership is an opportunity.”

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat…

Around the Network
poklane said:
true_fan said:
Maybe I'm incredibly mistaken, but I see the same people saying the same things. Did everyone just all of a sudden forget Microsoft Studios announced 6, SIX, SECHS, SEIS internal studios less than 1 month ago. Does that not count as investing internally. I guess MSFT isn't allowed to make acquisitions.

We don't even know what type of studios they are. I didn't even see Microsoft themselves make a big deal out of it, so I'm assuming they are pretty small teams.

Also another complaint here that this could lead to people who don't own a Microsoft device to lose an IP (similar to the game Rise of the Tomb Raider), while others normally acquire studios which are already exclusive.

How far back are you guys going to move back the goal posts. What I can say accoring to job listins is that LXP and Platform Next are AAA studiuos and 3 of the remaining studios are smaller.

Oh I get it MSFT is supposed to worry about everyone else while the competition only has to worry about themselves.

jnemesh said:
Yeah, I won't be too happy if this goes through. People are asking in other threads why people "bash" other consoles...maybe, just maybe, it's because of corporations doing bullshit like this and RUINING beloved games. Seriously, screw MS and their moneyhatting. I guess no one who works there could come up with a better investment for $2 BILLION? Maybe like founding a NEW studio?

They HAVE bought new studios. This is just like any other acquisition. What is wrong with this?

episteme said:
I won't believe it until there's a better source...
And why are they worth $2 billion?

Acquisitions are not usually based on "worth". You have to overpay to get a company. 

DerNebel said:

Ok let me treat this as more than a rumor (which is all I think it is for now) for a second. I have 2 questions

1. Mojang made $129 million in profit last year, how in the world is that studio worth even close to $2 billion?

2. How greedy would taking this offer make Mojang? They have a still uber successful product, they are independent and they've already made more money than they could ever spend, what would they need those $2 billion for?

THe brand of Minecraft is worth 2 Billion, Mojang is small company that doesn't fully use the brand.... Minecraft is extremely popular with younger crowd ...  

Around the Network

I've surpassed my daily tolerance for idiocy just reading the first few pages of this thread.

As for OT: This would be a colossal waste of money if it were true which it probably isn't because if the wanted exclusivity it would be cheaper to buy the franchise. If Minecraft was expected to make more money then the 2bill MS would supposedly make off of it, Mojang wouldn't be selling it. 

Plus its to late to keep it off the PS4, regardless of if they buy it now. So this articleheadline is obviously clickbait at best.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I've surpassed my daily tolerance for idiocy just reading the first few pages of this thread.

As for OT: This would be a colossal waste of money if it were true which it probably isn't because if the wanted exclusivity it would be cheaper to buy the franchise. If Minecraft was expected to make more money then the 2bill MS would supposedly make off of it, Mojang wouldn't be selling it. 

Plus its to late to keep it off the PS4, regardless of if they buy it now. So this articleheadline is obviously clickbait at best.

Minecraft 2, future Minecraft content, Minecraft Kart Racing, Minecraft Fighter, and in movie theaters Minecraft: The Movie (hey if they can make a movie about LEGO they can make a movie about anything). 

I tend to think CNBC and the Wallstreet Journal are more plugged in than gaming sites to be honest anyway. 

Besides there's no law that says MS couldn't yank Minecraft from PSN (PS3, PS4) if they really felt like it. 

Part of the perks of buying something for $2 billion is that you can do whatever the f*ck you want with it. 

true_fan said:

How far back are you guys going to move back the goal posts. What I can say accoring to job listins is that LXP and Platform Next are AAA studiuos and 3 of the remaining studios are smaller.

Oh I get it MSFT is supposed to worry about everyone else while the competition only has to worry about themselves.

You seem pretty defensive for some reason. Most here(even a majority of the XB fans) think this is a waste of money because that is just what it seems like....period. People are saying they should put more money into investing in New IPs because everyone knows that si where MS was lacking. Why waste $2B of minecraft? They could have went after GTA or something bigger. Although I would prefer that they just make new IPS like they are doing with QB and SO.

No hidden agendas just calling a bad move in a lot of our eyes what it is a bad move....your "of course most would say it is bad" comment is silly because youa re basing it off of something silly like PS vs MS or something. Nothing like that here even if Sony made this purchase it would still be a waste of money...period.

But hey maybe MS sees some potential we do not.....time will tell

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
true_fan said:

You seem pretty defensive for some reason. Most here(even a majority of the XB fans) think this is a waste of money because that is just what it seems like....period. People are saying they should put more money into investing in New IPs because everyone knows that si where MS was lacking. Why waste $2B of minecraft? They could have went after GTA or something bigger. Although I would prefer that they just make new IPS like they are doing with QB and SO.

No hidden agendas just calling a bad move in a lot of our eyes what it is a bad move....your "of course most would say it is bad" comment is silly because youa re basing it off of something silly like PS vs MS or something. Nothing like that here even if Sony made this purchase it would still be a waste of money...period.

But hey maybe MS sees some potential we do not.....time will tell

Minecraft isn't just a huge gaming console franchise ... it's a huge app (iOS/Android) franchise too ... something GTA is not. 

Maybe MS would buy GTA too if they could, but Take 2 is a publicly traded company as I understand it making such a deal very complicated. Mojang is a private company with one owner (notch) ... wooing him individually with $2 billion is a lot easier. 

yvanjean said:
DerNebel said:

Ok let me treat this as more than a rumor (which is all I think it is for now) for a second. I have 2 questions

1. Mojang made $129 million in profit last year, how in the world is that studio worth even close to $2 billion?

2. How greedy would taking this offer make Mojang? They have a still uber successful product, they are independent and they've already made more money than they could ever spend, what would they need those $2 billion for?

THe brand of Minecraft is worth 2 Billion, Mojang is small company that doesn't fully use the brand.... Minecraft is extremely popular with younger crowd ...  

Mojang turned a profit of $128million in 2013 and a revenue of $322million, they are not even close to being worth $2billion.