By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Slade6alpha said:
Damn.. would love to see the reaction of this thread is Sony was the ones buying it :(

Still a waste

Around the Network
BreedinBull said:
They could literally give that to Rockstar/2k and have GTA 6 be a perma-exclusive for the X1. Nobodys gonna turn down 2B.

GTA doesn't have the value to MS ... we have to remember not only is Minecraft one of the biggest home console IPs ... it's also the biggest mobile app (paid) out there today, the latter of which is probably a lot more impressive to MS. 

Yeah, I won't be too happy if this goes through. People are asking in other threads why people "bash" other consoles...maybe, just maybe, it's because of corporations doing bullshit like this and RUINING beloved games. Seriously, screw MS and their moneyhatting. I guess no one who works there could come up with a better investment for $2 BILLION? Maybe like founding a NEW studio?

Take-two who owns Rockstar and the GTA franchise has a market cap/share of $2 billion. that should put things into perspective.

So why and how can minecraft be worth 2 billion?
It's name. Minecraft is MEGA popular and the value is in its name. From Merchandising to events is where MC makes a lot of its money.
Employees? Good visionary brains I assume they could potentially make another big hit or Minecraft could be a 1hitwonder.

To Microsoft:
Can move a potential HUGE base to its devices windows/mobile/xbox with a Sequal.

I have never played Minecraft and I don't understand why so many people are addicted to it so this news doesn't really affect me. I'm not the kind of video gamer that Minecraft is marketed to anyway.

Around the Network

Hopefully Notch/Mojang will make the right decision and won't sell Minecraft unless it's another 3rd party studio.

I don't see it, not only are the articles on the major sites very poorly written, it would go against what Notch has said about things like Facebook/Occulus.

If MS do do it, then for me it's a total waste of cash, they would be better off buying Take2, which has tons of very important IP... though after what they did to their PC division I wouldn't hold out hope for how they would handle it.

Buying Minecraft, well it's a cash cow thats for certain, but whats the point, the game is available on PS4/PS3 right now, they could cancel it, but whats the point, its already in the wild/distributed etc. So they would have to make a Minecraft 2 to be more successful, and one thing is for certain, just cause it's making money today, doesn't mean it will make money tomorrow.... as Runescape will attest to.

Personally I don't believe it.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Ok let me treat this as more than a rumor (which is all I think it is for now) for a second. I have 2 questions

1. Mojang made $129 million in profit last year, how in the world is that studio worth even close to $2 billion?

2. How greedy would taking this offer make Mojang? They have a still uber successful product, they are independent and they've already made more money than they could ever spend, what would they need those $2 billion for?

Maybe I'm incredibly mistaken, but I see the same people saying the same things. Did everyone just all of a sudden forget Microsoft Studios announced 6, SIX, SECHS, SEIS internal studios less than 1 month ago. Does that not count as investing internally. I guess MSFT isn't allowed to make acquisitions.

This is... I just... there is so MUCH wrong with this situation (regardless of whether Sony or Microsoft did it) I literally cannot express it on my little iPod screen. When I get home though, there will be SUCH a reckoning. >

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.