By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation Portable doomed?

What? Gameboy beat PS2? Are you sure? I think the sales combined Gameboy with Gameboy Color. Doesn't look right.

Around the Network

That's combined GB and GB Color.  Which I think counts because old GB's could play the Color games, just not in color.  Doesn't matter anyway 'cause PS2 will pass it easily this quarter.

PS:  PSP is definitely looking to do better this year than last year, which IMO just sucked for them as the DSL took over the market.  Now that the DSL is no longer brand new the PSP can get some of the attention back.  I still think it'll taper off after this holiday though, we'll see.  It's a great little system but it does too much crap that I don't want to pay for so it's not worth it to me right now (just like the PS3 really).

a.l.e.x59 said:
LOL, Genesis beat Xbox and Gamecube. That's embarassing.

um... how old are you?

Genesis was Sega's most successful system ever, almost on par with the SNES in the west.

well psp isnt a failure it has sold 20 mill plus worldwide best competition  nintendo has EVER had for handhelds

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

ermmm, sony have started targeting teens with the PSP now. So if that's an "older demographic" then I suppose they must havebeen targeting kids before that. Sorry, but the PSP is going after a younger demographic than the DS is now, how ironic.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
Gballzack said:

God, not another one...

1. His point was poorly delivered and your summation of it seems to imply you didn't even bother reading beyond my reply.

2. Since he made the positive claim, burden of proof relied on him, not I. It was a simple request and if you can so easily provide the numbers I fail to see what was so outlandish to ask the same of him. Also, see point 3 for further illustration of why this is a moot point to begin with.

3. He said that the PSP had surpassed the sales of any Nintendo handheld that wasn't redone a million times, not all handhelds in general. You know, maybe you should try bother reading the post that the person was responding to before puting in your own two cents. And again I have to point out the pointlessness of comparing a handheld to consoles in a debate that is now comparing two handhelds in their bid for that market. The PSP isn't directly competing with consoles so comparing it to them is about as pertinent as comparing 360 sales to the sales of a JVC DVD player.

4. That's not the point, he was claiming the PSP was prefered by adults and the DS wasn't, I was arguing against this assumption. And you saying, "DUR, IS IT A SURPRISE MORE KIDS PLAY HANDHELDS?" is not only irrelevant to the debate but an asinine contribution to a discussion you obviously didn't bother reading beyond my reply.

5. Good for you, you're using your PSP for everything other than a direct UMD gaming system and saving battery life, if only we all used it was everything other than its primary purpose than we too could be free from the limits of battery life. Also, Sony saying its targeting an older demographic now? Oh well that obviously proves more adults prefer the PSP to the DS because Sony says so. You know Sony never spews underhanded self-serving shit like that ever. Sony also said the PS3 would dominate this generation so that obviously means that the PS3 is selling much better than the 360 and Wii right now eh?

It is a wonder how I manage to stay toe to toe with someone so seasoned in debating, god... you're obviously a master at this. If only everyone would jump haphazardly into a debate without reading beyond the last post.

1. It wasn't poorly delivered. You're just the only one who didn't get it, which isn't surprising at this point.

2.  The information has already been provided. Deal with it.

3. I said that it has already sold more than any handheld that wasn't made by Nintendo. This has already been proven, and you haven't given anything to refute it, end of story. The 360 isn't a handheld, but the If the PSP has sold 20 million in two years and is doing poorly, then the same should apply to the 360, which hasn't even sold half of that in 1.5 years. You want to compare home systems to home systems? Fine. The 360 must being doing extremely poorly because it's being outsold by the Wii and has yet to outsell the seven-year-old PS2. That's right, it can't even outsell the predecessor to its competition even after 1.5 years. The PSP, on the other hand, is outselling the wildly popular predecessor to the DS, the GBA. Damn that failing 360!

4. I said that handhelds skew towards a younger audience, and there have already been plenty of examples given to reflect this. Perhaps it's you who should read the posts you reply to.

5. Microsoft also said that 10 million 360's were going to be sold by the time the PS3 and Wii launched, but it still has yet to reach that even now. But none of that is relevant. I think Sony knows which demographic they were targeting with the PSP. No points here, really.

Seriously, just give it up. If points are going over anyone's head, it's yours. The information you asked for was provided, your posts have been directly replied to and debunked, and yet you continue to post irrelevant arguments and inane rhetoric, and I'm not even going to bother reading anymore of it, much less replying to it.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:

1. It wasn't poorly delivered. You're just the only one who didn't get it, which isn't surprising at this point.

2.  The information has already been provided. Deal with it.

3. I said that it has already sold more than any handheld that wasn't made by Nintendo. This has already been proven, and you haven't given anything to refute it, end of story. The 360 isn't a handheld, but the If the PSP has sold 20 million in two years and is doing poorly, then the same should apply to the 360, which hasn't even sold half of that in 1.5 years. You want to compare home systems to home systems? Fine. The 360 must being doing extremely poorly because it's being outsold by the Wii and has yet to outsell the seven-year-old PS2. That's right, it can't even outsell the predecessor to its competition even after 1.5 years. The PSP, on the other hand, is outselling the wildly popular predecessor to the DS, the GBA. Damn that failing 360!

4. I said that handhelds skew towards a younger audience, and there have already been plenty of examples given to reflect this. Perhaps it's you who should read the posts you reply to.

5. Microsoft also said that 10 million 360's were going to be sold by the time the PS3 and Wii launched, but it still has yet to reach that even now. But none of that is relevant. I think Sony knows which demographic they were targeting with the PSP. No points here, really.

Seriously, just give it up. If points are going over anyone's head, it's yours. The information you asked for was provided, your posts have been directly replied to and debunked, and yet you continue to post irrelevant arguments and inane rhetoric, and I'm not even going to bother reading anymore of it, much less replying to it.

1. Yet you fail to provide the slightest bit of evidence to support such.

2. That doesn't change the fact you attempted to attack my request originally, now you're trying to counter with your own volunatary supplementation of that information. Also, I proved that information doesn't prove the original point.

3. You are correct in my mistaken take on your words. But yes, the 360 could by and large be considered a failure due to is non existant sales in Japan and embarassingly slow sales. Also, Handhelds sell more than Consoles, so comparing the sales of a Console to a Handheld don't really show much in regards to either's success or failure. Comparing the two is convenient for you because you want to use it to support your theory that the PSP is a success, despite its infamous reputation in quality, poor game library and pathetic UMD format.

4. You were essentially claiming that the PSP was for adults and that the DS was for children, don't try and dodge the fact by generalizing the two. You were caught red handed there.

5. Sony was targeting the 360? Wonderful logic. Obviously the PSP wasn't competing with the DS, it was competing with the 360. Hey, if the PSP can't outsell the DS it can at least outsell the 360 right? lol. You'll take any little victory you can won't you?

I caught you in a sloppy argument, don't act like you debunked anything either than pointing out my misunderstanding of your words in regards to prior handhelds. Everything else in the arguments stands as is, you tried to childishly pair the PSP up against the 360 to dodge its defeat at the hands of the DS and then tried to make a pathetic jab at the DS by saying it did better because it was more kiddie. Perhaps you should ignore me and refocus your efforts on trying to convince yourself that your PSP is a sure thing.

davygee said:

Again, people can't help themselves.

Of course the PSP is not doomed....well in as much that it won't disappear overnight like the Dreamcast.

These Nintendo Fan Boys really are desperate to see anything other than Nintendo fail....but more so Sony...obviously couldn't handle what happened to the Gamecube and Nintendo 64.

Anyway, just enjoy the fact that you own a popular system this time round and everything is rosey in the Nintendo garden....but don't try and drag down owners of the PSP to make you feel better.

Also, as I've stated a few times in the last few days...I think there is a bit of jealousy in there....they want all the exclusives for the DS and can't bare to see games like FFVII:CC and Dissidia going to the PSP.

Very strongly agree with this. Look people -- it's one thing to say that the DS is more popular and profitable than the PSP is. That's (probably) fine. What isn't fine is saying that the DS is incredible and it wins and the PSP has no good games and it loses and anyone who bought it is an idiot. 

The PSP has done quite well for itself. It has many good games for it. You can say both of those things, and still prefer the DS, as I do.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

CrazzyMan ONE game doesnt mean sh!t..nintendogs will out sell God of war psp.. what else does psp have??? all that gta bullsh!t? ya lame

man im drunk as f#ck right now dont mind me.............

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:

CrazzyMan ONE game doesnt mean sh!t..nintendogs will out sell God of war psp.. what else does psp have??? all that gta bullsh!t? ya lame

man im drunk as f#ck right now dont mind me.............

Man, who's letting these children get drunk while playing their DS?

Anyways, Just because you don't like the PSP mean that it's doomed or that it stinks.  With over 20 million PSP's sold it does prove that it's rather popular.  Sure, it doesn't have the 40 million sold number that the DS has, and the fac tof the matter is that the DS is geared more towards children and with it being less expensive then the PSP is why all the soccer moms buy them to shut up the kids.  Would you want a minivan full of kids yelling and being annoying while you cart them in your SUV or minivan?  Sure, not all games are aimed towards children, but that is their bread and butter.  Look at many of the high sales DS games, I'm sure that the majority are considered to be games that children would like.

I got a PSP for one major reason.  The flexibility of the system.  I can put movies, mp3's and games on my memory stick.  If I'm on a plane or waiting at an airport, I don't have to lug around a portable dvd player, or a DS, and my iPod.  I don't have to carry around a laptop either and can keep myself entertained while I am sitting around waiting and can find something to do in that time.  I can play some games for a little bit, or I can just zone out and listen to some music.  Maybe I want to watch a movie I ripped to my memory stick so that I can catch up on some that i have missed watching lately.  I don't know of any DS's that can do all of that.

For me, it's simple as to why I got a PSP.  It works great for me and there are some fun games to play that I enjoy.   For others here, they choose the DS because it offers what they want, or at the least it's made by the manufacturer they prefer.   I'm not here slamming the DS or it's faults, I'm offering you a reason why some may choose a PSP instead of a DS or to go with their DS.

All I keep gathering is that this site is chock full of nintedo fanboys who say anything and everything is horrible when compared to their precious Nintendo products.  Basically they continue on ranting that because their system of choice has more sales that everything else out there sucks.  Now, lets get back to the argument about nintedo fans being children. ;)

(They sure seem to act the part of children, as a rule. Some have been reasonable and intelligent)

Sony did mess up one thing about the UMD that made it fail for movie formats.  Too expensive for the movies.  Why should I spend $15 for a movie that I could get on DVD for 5-7 less and it's not compressed at all?  Had the movies been priced at $5 each, I most likely would have bought up quite a few movies for my PSP.  It's cheaper for me to buy the DVD at $10, then rip it to the memory stick and watch it that way and have a full dvd added to my collection.

Again, the PSP is not "doomed", a failure, or anything.  It's a very strong selling handheld that just happens to be competing against another handheld that is experiencing sales that are unprecedented.  Both are popular and successes, anyone who claims either is a failure is a moron.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.