By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation Portable doomed?

Again, people can't help themselves.

Of course the PSP is not doomed....well in as much that it won't disappear overnight like the Dreamcast.

These Nintendo Fan Boys really are desperate to see anything other than Nintendo fail....but more so Sony...obviously couldn't handle what happened to the Gamecube and Nintendo 64.

Anyway, just enjoy the fact that you own a popular system this time round and everything is rosey in the Nintendo garden....but don't try and drag down owners of the PSP to make you feel better.

Also, as I've stated a few times in the last few days...I think there is a bit of jealousy in there....they want all the exclusives for the DS and can't bare to see games like FFVII:CC and Dissidia going to the PSP. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

Hey, IOI, I have a suggestion for VG Chartz. Can you add a new counter to the front page? You could put it underneath the Handheld section. It'll track the number of "PSP is DOOOOMED" threads. I think it would win the entire videogame wars.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

davygee said:

Again, people can't help themselves.

Of course the PSP is not doomed....well in as much that it won't disappear overnight like the Dreamcast.

These Nintendo Fan Boys really are desperate to see anything other than Nintendo fail....but more so Sony...obviously couldn't handle what happened to the Gamecube and Nintendo 64.

Anyway, just enjoy the fact that you own a popular system this time round and everything is rosey in the Nintendo garden....but don't try and drag down owners of the PSP to make you feel better.

Also, as I've stated a few times in the last few days...I think there is a bit of jealousy in there....they want all the exclusives for the DS and can't bare to see games like FFVII:CC and Dissidia going to the PSP.

Very nice summary of what is going on here.

If Sony dropped the price of the PSP to $129 and that GoW game was out, I'd buy one. There are a few games on it that I want to play but not enough to convince the wife that I need another game machine. I've already bought three in the past 6 months.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

umd is not doomed

Around the Network
jman8 said:
Hey, IOI, I have a suggestion for VG Chartz. Can you add a new counter to the front page? You could put it underneath the Handheld section. It'll track the number of "PSP is DOOOOMED" threads. I think it would win the entire videogame wars.

True, it would be even more impressive if include all Doomed  threads (PS3 Doomed, PSP Doomed, SE Doomed, Sony Music Doomed, Spider-Man 3 the movie Doomed, Kaz Hirai Doomed, Blu-Ray Doomed etc.).

rocketpig said:
If Sony dropped the price of the PSP to $129 and that GoW game was out, I'd buy one. There are a few games on it that I want to play but not enough to convince the wife that I need another game machine. I've already bought three in the past 6 months.

You can apparently get a PSP in the States for $169.99 and you get a $30 postal rebate with with...so effectively it's only $139.99.....only $10 more than you're level.....what a deal.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:
rocketpig said:

You can apparently get a PSP in the States for $169.99 and you get a $30 postal rebate with with...so effectively it's only $139.99.....only $10 more than you're level.....what a deal.

Do you work for Sony or something? Seriously dude...

But seriously, the PSP is a good idea that failed. Sony failed to support it. UMD is a cheap and poorly designed format that holds less and costs more. Jack Trenton has already admitted to it being a bad idea. Don't expect Sony to support the format outside of the PSP and even they've lost all second and third party support in making UMD Movies. There is even speculation Sony itself will abandon the failing UMD movie market for the PSP altogether and refocus efforts on games. Unlike the Ps2 there are not really any must have games on it for the casual gamer and most stores refuse to carry about a third of the library because many PSP games, just don't sell.

windbane said:
DKII said:
kber that was uncalled for I suggest you edit your post.

Lighten up.

@ALKO: Look, you don't like the PSP. That's fairly obvious. But the fact remains it will be more successful than any system other than Nintendo Handhelds and Sony's systems in the last 10 years. That puts it only behind the GBA, DS, PS2, and PS1. Think about that. More than the Xbox, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, and all non-Nintendo handhelds during forever. The PSP is also receiving many exclusives this year and on.

uhm...no!!

best console in last 10 years is ds...

it has best rates than ps2... 

so

at this time

best console is ds.

psp is a good console bad designed.

it's a non-console...

properly it's a media player that play also games. 

CrazzyMan said:

DOES SOMEONE STILL THINKS, THAT PSP IS DOOMED? =))

ONLY KIDS judge console/games by graphics...

gow is one of the most overrated games ever...

playing on psp will be a pity.