By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation Portable doomed?

The thread title is awful. (Then again, I guess title writing in forums is like in newspapers: If it's not catchy, nobody will be interested in reading it, so in that sense, great title, worthy of the Sun or the National Enquirer!)

Doomed, as in doomed to be relegated to second place behind the DS? Yeah, probably, if things continue the way they are.

Doomed, as in will be a failure that will be canned and axed? Not on your life.

Just take the DS out of the equation, and the PSP is doing swimmingly well.

Tennis analogy time!

The DS is a phenomenon. Kinda like Roger Federer. Federer has accumulated over double the points of Nadal in the ATP rankings.

The PSP is like Rafael Nadal. Half the number of points compared to Federer, but Nadal has over double the points haul of the number three on the ATP rankings.

Saying that Nadal is doomed for failure is quite simply ridiculous. They both are beasts at their game, and their respective console analogies are no different.

/opinion

Around the Network

Everyone agrees the title sucks...I didn't catch it in time, and it turned into a legitimate discussion, so I didn't have the heart to close it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

your mother said:

The DS is a phenomenon. Kinda like Roger Federer. Federer has accumulated over double the points of Nadal in the ATP rankings.

The PSP is like Rafael Nadal. Half the number of points compared to Federer, but Nadal has over double the points haul of the number three on the ATP rankings.

Saying that Nadal is doomed for failure is quite simply ridiculous. They both are beasts at their game, and their respective console analogies are no different.

/opinion

Well Nadal can beat Federer on a clay court, but I don't know any market where the PSP can match up to the DS sales wise. If you know of one market where the DS isn't now selling better than 2 to 1 over the PSP please let me know. To me the better comparison is Federer to Roddick. Roddick is a pretty damn good player, always competitive in the world standings, but in any match with Federer he really doesn't have a shot. His success is taken away because Federer just might be the best Tenis player in the history of the world. Until the PSP is more competitive someplace, the UK, Australia, whatever, likening it to Nadal is a little kind.