By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA have a new anti-piracy method

I wonder how much money EA has lost already....

Around the Network

Sims 4: Retro edition!

Looks like Minecraft meets Sims
1 day purchase(or pirate)

lol

nice

This is old news :P

www.gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=189693&page=1

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
I'll give it 3 months tops until someone finds a way around this lol

More like 3 hours. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

KylieDog said:
Munkeh111 said:

That's the point, this is a better form of DRM compared to whatever else they've tried. They did genuinely try and get SimCity to be require online and it did for certain things, they merely removed the option to turn of some of the regional stuff to allow you to play online...

If someone's stealing your game, it's only logcial to try and do something about it. I read about how Football Manager 2014 sold considerably less than 2013 because it took a few weeks less to pirate.

I know we hear about it a lot less, but there's still a lot of it going on and it's awful for game developers and publishers. I don't think it's quite as widespread as stealing TV shows (which is again terrible), but that's probably because there are extra complications.

Best method to reduce piracy: Make a game worth buying.

Pirates get around DRM.  Always.  It is a waste of time that only hurts paying players whenever it cocks up.

This game is missing all sorts of features from earlier games, doesn't scream value does it.  With no value it isn't worth buying, so pirate.

So are you saying people don't pirate good games? Because that's just not true

Mystro-Sama said:
I'll give it 3 months tops until someone finds a way around this lol

It's already fixed.

KylieDog said:
Munkeh111 said:

So are you saying people don't pirate good games? Because that's just not true

Bolded.   There will always be a certain amount of people who will pirate no matter what, and DRM will not stop them.  What you shouldn't do is encourage people to pirate by devaluing your games and making paid people deal with DRM.

Right, but this method doesn't harm legitimate customers. Stuff like Steam and Origin, if it works right adds more value than the damage that the DRM does. All it does is launch the game for you and keep it updated, that's fine.

But I agree, online requirements do more harm than good