By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA have a new anti-piracy method

Mr.Playstation said:
From the comments at IGN, it seems that this already has been fixed. Anyway can't EA just allow people to pirate the game. These stories just make piriting more popular.

Why would they not do something to stop it?

But yeah, I kind of wish it did worse things than this, good start EA

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
From the comments at IGN, it seems that this already has been fixed. Anyway can't EA just allow people to pirate the game. These stories just make piriting more popular.

Because it just gives a challenge to people to pirate the game. These methods never work and just end up hurting geniune players who bought the game in some way.

I thought that was a Minecraft mod, LOL

JerCotter7 said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr.Playstation said:

Because it just gives a challenge to people to pirate the game. These methods never work and just end up hurting geniune players who bought the game in some way.

How does it hurt players who buy the game?

It just makes a little bit harder for some people to pirate it and that's all they're trying

Munkeh111 said:
JerCotter7 said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr.Playstation said:

It just makes a little bit harder for some people to pirate it and that's all they're trying

According to the link Xander gave it has been affecting paying players in the form of a bug. Simcity always online DRM caused people to lose their save files numerous times. Ubisoft DRM meant that most people who bought the games at the start couldn't play them so had to pirate the games to play them.

DRM is basically shit. People find a way around them in days now so what is the point. Unless it's something like steams current DRM.

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:

Just allow people to pirate the game?

Imagine you spend over 2 years working on something and invest millions of dollars into it only to have people just make copies of it and share it for free.

Piracy and pirates are truly the worst thing that could happen to gaming or any industry for that matter. I hate pirates, though atimes I don't blame people cause I don't feel the publishers are doing everything to make things fair to consumers. I don't support pirates, but since publishers show no remores in milking and taking advantage of consumers, I guess its only fair that someone takes advantage of them too.

XanderXT said:
It's been nullified:http://www.vgamerz.com/the-sims-4-eas-supposed-anti-piracy-system-has-been-nullified/

That was easy.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Welp, that took like what? Less than a day to get fixed? All this did is give free publicity to piracy cause this actually looks kind of interesting! Free 8bit Sims mode! Wow! Thanks EA!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I have a foolproof sugegstion for EA that will eliminate ALL piracy moving forward, I mean 100%:

Stop releasing video games.

JerCotter7 said:
Munkeh111 said:

According to the link Xander gave it has been affecting paying players in the form of a bug. Simcity always online DRM caused people to lose their save files numerous times. Ubisoft DRM meant that most people who bought the games at the start couldn't play them so had to pirate the games to play them.

DRM is basically shit. People find a way around them in days now so what is the point. Unless it's something like steams current DRM.

That's the point, this is a better form of DRM compared to whatever else they've tried. They did genuinely try and get SimCity to be require online and it did for certain things, they merely removed the option to turn of some of the regional stuff to allow you to play online...

If someone's stealing your game, it's only logcial to try and do something about it. I read about how Football Manager 2014 sold considerably less than 2013 because it took a few weeks less to pirate.

I know we hear about it a lot less, but there's still a lot of it going on and it's awful for game developers and publishers. I don't think it's quite as widespread as stealing TV shows (which is again terrible), but that's probably because there are extra complications.