By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what's so special about minecraft?

The Fury said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Vikki said:

All levels apart from the tutorial are randomly generated ^^ Just exit out the tutorial and create a new world.

Ok, so I've done that and started a new world on 'survivor'. Will it randomly generate villages, caves and of course creatures? Speakiing of creatures: are there any large creatures such as dragons?

Oh, and do you know how to delete levels? I've now got three and I want to reduce it to one (now I understand it a little better)

Are you on console (360/PS3/XBONE/PS4)? You have options when creating a seed (world), things like Villages, dungeons are optional in there but default is always on. Caves always exist and creatures are randomly spawning (enemies at night). No large enemies unless in 'The End' but this isn't Monster Hunter so...

There should be an option on the level. Goto it and select 'Save Options', one of the save options is 'Delete Save' It deletes the entire world, if you like the world and want it back, make a note of the 'Seed' and you can generate it back again if you want.

EDIT: Dang it, Vikki. Beat me to it.

Thanks guys. I found the delete option and I have the generate villages ticked (I hope).

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
fireburn95 said:
Easy game with little to no challenge & easy platinum/achievments with coop = big sales

Games with challenge = Low sales

Actually, minecraft can be very challenging. Play on survival and put difficulty on hard, then try getting to the ender dragon and defeating him. It's difficult to do, I have tried. I only beat it with 5 other players on my map helping me.

It's an awesome game for online multiplayer. Being able to craft things together and discover awesome caves and beautiful landscapes, and even make traps and contraptions and getting others to fall for them is a lot of fun. 

I built a dungeon with only one exit and you have to do several tasks/challenges to get through it. 

Understanding redstone and logic gates is a plus. I continue to play the game because of the redstone. It's challenging designing your own components and redesigning others for speed or convenience. 

I did it (on ps3) wasn't hard at all to defeat the ender dragon, hell you could even die and those things you destroy will still be destroyed, and your gear

fireburn95 said:

I did it (on ps3) wasn't hard at all to defeat the ender dragon, hell you could even die and those things you destroy will still be destroyed, and your gear

I found it easy on normal and easy difficulties, I only beat it on hard with friends.  

Playing with friends is the big thing. How it spreads by word of mouth and low price as well as being available on about anything, including low range computers.

To me it is the Pokemon of this decade.

BraLoD said:

Well, Minecraft is a great game to people with creativity, 

Not necessarily true. I'm a creative person with several short novels and published works to my name, who's been making things since I was old enough to stick lego blocks together.

Minecraft holds no appeal to me whatsoever.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:
BraLoD said:

Well, Minecraft is a great game to people with creativity, 

Not necessarily true. I'm a creative person with several short novels and published works to my name, who's been making things since I was old enough to stick lego blocks together.

Minecraft holds no appeal to me whatsoever.

Of course not everyone is included, I just said that if you are creative it's a great game to you as you can express it, but you can dislike it even so indeed.

Fair enough. I can see why others like it, I just prefer to express my creativity in other ways, generally through writing.

Thats like asking whats up with flappy birds? It made 50k per day... The answer is... No one knows for sure

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I have always loved games where I can be creative. Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon were some of the first games that really captured my imagination. Though I had played the likes of platformers, racing, RPGs for years, it was around 2000 when my family got a PC and I was able to play games that really gave me a canvas to play with. Even games like Civilization I feel like I'm crafting an empire. Minecraft is a lot of fun for me. I just love to build things. I like to change things, tame the wilderness, conquer the terrain. The redstone mechanics can be a lot of fun, too. I generally prefer going at my own pace, and setting my own (often ambitious) goals. Minecraft works well as a creative outlet for me.

I still don't understand it either but I just bought the ps4 version for our five year old. We've been playing the ps3 demo the last week in split screen. (Hint you can keep playing the demo as long as you want in splitscreen, just switch to player 3 after player 1 times out) It still looks blocky in 4 player splitscreen.

It's fun to mess around together, although the mechanics are crap. Trees don't fall when you cut them down, can't drain lakes, water acts like some weird kind of gel. Terraria is better in that sense, yet he prefers a 3D world. He was playing Terraria first. After downloading the Minecraft demo he didn't want to go back.

For now it's more fun for me than playing yet another Lego scripted game together. I start nodding off during those. The only really good one (Lego city undercover) is single player, doh. And for him it's more fun than DKTF or Rayman Legends where he keeps dying all the time.

At least he's stopped asking to watch Blitzwinger's Blitzvillage videos all the time. Play > watch. Maybe he'll learn some basics from it. Won't be how to build a solid structure though. (There's legos and blocks for that with amazing physics when they fall down)

I guess I'll build our own house when we play the ps4 version together. Have him add some secret rooms etc. I'm sure he'll love that.

You got people out there that like to buy stuff and build them, then paint them and show them off. That's who minecraft is for.
To me it looks like the most borning game in the universe.