By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are games so boring now-a-days?

Cause you ain't playing a Nintendo Console thats why

Around the Network

take a break from games. I usually switch between my hobbies frequently. There are times I play  less than 1 hour of games/week.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Burning Typhoon said:

outside of kingdom hearts 2.5, the only games to interest me are The Evil Within, and Tekken 7. I've bought so many games at bargin prices through PSN's sales that I can't justify spending 60 bucks on a game anymore...

However, I did get beyond as a 2 day late birthday present for myself last year, and went on to beat the game 11 times. Five of which, I played consecutive (without playing any other game in between) Those first five times I beat it start to finish, I ignored every other game I owned and thought it was the best game ever. And, I'm a person that plays fighting games competitively, and not just mash buttons with christie and eddy.... Now, I can barely sit through Beyond for 15 minutes, if that.

But, again, Tekken I'm not bored with playing. I'm bored of it being the only game that doesn't bore me, if that makes sense.

But, it's cool. Even seeing that game (Beyond) on sale last week didn't bother me, because I got my money's worth out of that game.

Super Smash Bros. Four Wii U and/or 3DS. The 3D effect in the 3DS version is insanely soo good.

I went through a period like this when I had my first needy Girlfriend... (<_<). Before this I was a World of Warcraft junkie, playing at least 4 hours a day and once I even went on a 12 hour Binge! I played it for about 2 years from 2006-2008.

From 2008-2011 only video game I touched was Call of Duty since you can just pick up Multi-player whenever you wanted. I just didn't wanna be tied down to a game where it was mandatory to be committed to in order to finish it. That, my job and my needy GF took all of my time.

Then things went sour with the relationship, and then I played Fire Emblem: PoR and the sequel Radiant Dawn, and man I was hooked in gaming again. I kinda regretted leaving all my passed favorites for CoD games and a bad GF... :-/

Moral of the Story? You might just need to fulfill your "other needs" (wink wink) for a while, or maybe you just don't want to be tied down to a video game. Hence why you play MvC all the time to troll other gamers with Roll and Servebot. Or maybe your just one bad GF away from appreciating games again...

Since I took this break I've been trying to make up for lost time and play all the games from the series that interest me that were released during my Hiatus!

Barozi said:
oh I love gaming but I'm almost never in the mood to play something.

What helps me:

If you go through your collection, don't say "no" to the games you don't want to play. Just play them.
A couple of minutes in, you'll notice that you actually enjoy them

this is wat happens to me all the time! and when i start playin i go for hrs

Around the Network

I think we're putting to much blame on the gamer here...and not enough on developers.

When was the last time you guys played a game and said "holy shit"?

Seriously...most developers don't seem to be trying to create anything new...they're just rehashing old formulas, marrying genres, pumping money into polygon counts, and forgetting that they have an entire virtual reality at their disposal which they can bend and tweak in any direction they want. For some reason, just like in Ender's Game...they don't seem to realize that in space there is no up or down. Once they start doing this we will have mind bending, reality twisting, jaw dropping WTF moments again.

I understand gamers' fatigue as well...but it's a two way street when it comes to art. It's time we start holding the artists accountable as well.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

I went through a period like this when I had my first needy Girlfriend... (<_<). Before this I was a World of Warcraft junkie, playing at least 4 hours a day and once I even went on a 12 hour Binge! I played it for about 2 years from 2006-2008.

From 2008-2011 only video game I touched was Call of Duty since you can just pick up Multi-player whenever you wanted. I just didn't wanna be tied down to a game where it was mandatory to be committed to in order to finish it. That, my job and my needy GF took all of my time.

Then things went sour with the relationship, and then I played Fire Emblem: PoR and the sequel Radiant Dawn, and man I was hooked in gaming again. I kinda regretted leaving all my passed favorites for CoD games and a bad GF... :-/

Moral of the Story? You might just need to fulfill your "other needs" (wink wink) for a while, or maybe you just don't want to be tied down to a video game. Hence why you play MvC all the time to troll other gamers with Roll and Servebot. Or maybe your just one bad GF away from appreciating games again...

Since I took this break I've been trying to make up for lost time and play all the games from the series that interest me that were released during my Hiatus!

Servbot isn't in MvC1.. Not only that, never mentioned him.  I wouldn't dare use any team in mvc2 I can't spam the assist with.  Blackheart, Ruby Heart and Captain Commando usually get the job done.  There's more people playing MvC2 that know what they're doing, and regardless of which, servbot is never fun to use for any reason.  Especially if you're fighting cable, and the guy's only interest is tiger-kneeing hyper viper beam all day.

Roll at least has some usefulness in MvC1, and Megaman is my main character in that game anyway.  If you can't tech grabs in MvC1, fighting against an experienced megaman player is going to give you serious trouble.

But, I'm too used to how megaman plays in MvC1 to use him in MvC2 anymore.  I make far too many mistakes because of the game's set-up and me not using default controls in mvc2.  I don't even have access to grabs in MvC2 if I'm charging the Mega Buster, which isn't the case in MvC1.

Also, as far as girls are concerned, unless she has a lot going for her, I'm really not too interested.  I'll stay single before getting with someone less than spectacular.  So, the bad gf thing is never going to happen, lol.

Maybe it's easier if I post the soecs of both 3DS & Wii U:

Original 3DS:

CPU 2-core 1 GHz a core

GPU 1-core 1 GHz, underclock at 400 MHz. It does around one dozen of the different game mechanics stuff.

Vertex performence 300 million at 1 GHz, but does 120 million at 400 MHz. Its a Micro GPU.

Shader cores, more then 50

open world, Lego City Undercover, or up to 5 times more then that. This game was pure polygon graphics with vehicles traveling 100 mph.

The NEW 3DS has a way more powerful CPU & way more longer battery life with even bigger screens, and a sweet spot for the 3D effect that can be seen anywhere by anyone. And it has a way more better display for a screen, then almost all hi-end TVs to this date. Comes out this February to April in 2015 though. Price $150 for New 3DS, but somewhere from $170 to $180 for New 3DS XL.

Wii U:

CPU 3-core 3 GHz IBM POWER 7, underclock at 1.64 GHz a core on pre-install firmware

GPU, it's a HD GPGPU and it does pretty much all the work. Leaving the CPU to just do stuff like online functionality & streaming onto GamePad controller. Anyways it's clocked at 800 MHz.

Vertex Performence, more then 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) polygons

Shader cores, more then 450

Open world, it does somewhere from 5 times to 25 times more open world then Lego City Undercover with full polygon graphics and vehicles traveling at least 100 mph, maybe faster.

price $300

Hope that helps.

I should mention that the Wii U has more 3rd party exclusives then the PS4 & X1, and so does the 3DS.

I do have to make myself play sometimes. The commitment to sit down and play, knowing you'll be stuck focusing on a game for a couple of hours, is off putting.

I think this greatly affects the genres of games I choose to play. I play a lot of platformers because I feel I can just play for a few minutes then put it down; even if I end up ultimately playing for hours. Games with long involved storylines I find off putting because I feel I'm committed to play for a chunk of the story. Story heavy games are very common these days. I'm also put off finding time to watch movies and tv shows for the same reason.

Now I think about it, one of the (possibly unfair) reasons I wasn't a big fan of Zelda Skyward Sward was because picking it up with the intention of just getting to and through one dungeon was far to much of a commitment.

Just arriving at dungeon in that game felt you was battling through a dungeons worth of content add on top of that a dungeon and boss and you're making a huge time commitment. I don't like saving and taking a break mid dungeon and totally hate taking a break when I'm up to a boss.

Barozi said:
oh I love gaming but I'm almost never in the mood to play something.

What helps me:

If you go through your collection, don't say "no" to the games you don't want to play. Just play them.
A couple of minutes in, you'll notice that you actually enjoy them.

Agree! Lately I've had to force myself every time I should be playing Majora's Mask because I don't know, just didn't feel like playing it. But when I sit down with it, I'm having a great time... Just finished a 6 hour session with it, lots of pieces of hearts and stuff. I've been trying to finish it for the last five years and now I'm so close. Can't stop now. 

Yep.