By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, PS4 is Selling on Hype? So what? Doesn't Every Generation Winner Sell on Hype?

kljesta64 said:
not only on hype but also because microsoft and nintendo screwed up.

That's pretty much all that needed to be asid on the subject!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Zelhawks37 said:
Tell that to the Wii haters. Its all good though. Its because Nintendo and Microsoft screwed up.

I'm a wii hater, but I dont remember nintendo announcing half as many games as the PS3 or 360 did, and therefore it sold on the hype of the over-rated (by consumers) and under-rated (by reviewers) motion games.

This excludes 'normal' nintendo games, because from systems prior to the wii, as well as the wii U, we know they are not going to help a nintendo home system sell even close to 100m units.

Also unlike its competitors, it represented a poor power/price ratio, missed most third party games, and they were the worst version when 3rd party games did come out. Furthermore, while PS3 and 360 was making online gaming massive on consoles, it was just an afterthought on the wii.

Most its failures are exactly the same as the wii U, the only difference is the motion fad was there to save the wii. Trying to defend that against everything Sony have actually done correctly for the PS4 is just .... im not even gonna say it.

I don't get why people say things like this. It's not like Xbone is getting a lot of games recently too.

Zekkyou said:
Snoorlax said:

"PS2 is the weakest console of the bunch."

Sony fans: So what? It's not about specs and power, it's about the games! Actually it was about hype from PS1 kicking arse, which was about hype because CD player. It's not about specs, power or games.

"PS3 sold less than Wii and lost this generation"

Sony fans: So what? It's not about sales or hype, it's about specs and power! Did anyone ever actually say this? No? I didn't think so.

"PS4 is selling because of hype"

Sony fans: So what..? SO WHAT? That's what I'm saying, so he agrees right?

Aah, the selective negative generalization of a fanbase. It's almost cute when people post these.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
PS4 has got nothing on PS2 in terms of hype sales. That console was literally hype in a black box when it came out.

Actually name me a generation where any Sony console that sold well didn't sell well in the first year because of hype. I really can't think of one...

The PS1. It didn't sell off of hype (it really couldn't). It had, arguably, the best launch of any PlayStation and road a steady line-up until FFVII came out. I agree with you about the PS2, though. Just so happened to live up to its hype ten-fold (while, ironically, being my least favorite PlayStation).

I am not so sure...PS1 launch games were pretty terrible and Sony marketing hype was in top gear. U R Not (red) Let's not forget the 1995 E3 sony had where they spent more money on their booth than everyone else combined. 

But to your point, PS1 didn't start selling really well until the great games came out, and it had a price advantage. Hence it wasn't all hype...

Around the Network

not all consoles have something new about every week. ps4 so far pretty much does. xbo and wiiu cant claim that at all, the marketplace hardly ever changes and when it does, its a meh at best usually.

I think this past week demonstrates the strength of PlayStation.

Diversity.

If you like a genre then chances are PlayStation will give you options in regard to it. I honestly cannot say the same for its current competitors. If you love Japanese games, especially JRPGs, like me then Persona, Disgaea, Senran Kagura, Dragon Warrior Heroes, Ys, Fairy Fencer were major announcements and they won't be on X1 or Wii U. All these various groups add up and PlayStation has no massive hole in its library that I can see.

All the systems have their value, but I can see exactly why globally PlayStation is winning and will be winning in 2015 and 2016.

Mike_L said:
VanceIX said:
Yeah, nothing wrong with it selling on hype. It just seems people will bash you if you say it is. Almost every successful console originally sells on hype.

I didn't intend to argue about it selling on hype but rather argue about whether that hype was deserving or not. Looking at PS4's future lineup I think it is.

And where's the bashing in this thread? :S

I was agreeing with the OP, FYI.

But, to clarify, the bashing has happened in other threads wondering why the PS4 is doing so well. If you so much as mention that it might be selling on hype, the masses will bash you.

Not much going on in this thread, I agree.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:

The PS1. It didn't sell off of hype (it really couldn't). It had, arguably, the best launch of any PlayStation and road a steady line-up until FFVII came out. I agree with you about the PS2, though. Just so happened to live up to its hype ten-fold (while, ironically, being my least favorite PlayStation).

I am not so sure...PS1 launch games were pretty terrible and Sony marketing hype was in top gear. U R Not (red) Let's not forget the 1995 E3 sony had where they spent more money on their booth than everyone else combined. 

But to your point, PS1 didn't start selling really well until the great games came out, and it had a price advantage. Hence it wasn't all hype...

Ridge Racer? Extreme Games? Toshinden? Jumping Flash? To name a few. They were defninitely not terrible. Besides, I remember the marketing, but not the hype. Not for PS1. People didn't start catching on right away. It certainly had no where near the hype of either the PS2 or PS3.

Those are pretty terrible man but I agree, hype machine with PS1 wasn't what it was with other Playstation consoles. Few good launch games on Saturn/Playstatin I can think of are Astal, Rayman...err??  Infact only launch game that gen that was an instant classic and warrants system purchase day 1 was Super Mario 64. Too bad it, along with Pilotwings 64 was the only game on n64 for 3 months lol. 

fps_d0minat0r said:
Zelhawks37 said:
Tell that to the Wii haters. Its all good though. Its because Nintendo and Microsoft screwed up.

I'm a wii hater, but I dont remember nintendo announcing half as many games as the PS3 or 360 did, and therefore it sold on the hype of the over-rated (by consumers) and under-rated (by reviewers) motion games.

This excludes 'normal' nintendo games, because from systems prior to the wii, as well as the wii U, we know they are not going to help a nintendo home system sell even close to 100m units.

Also unlike its competitors, it represented a poor power/price ratio, missed most third party games, and they were the worst version when 3rd party games did come out. Furthermore, while PS3 and 360 was making online gaming massive on consoles, it was just an afterthought on the wii.

Most its failures are exactly the same as the wii U, the only difference is the motion fad was there to save the wii. Trying to defend that against everything Sony have actually done correctly for the PS4 is just .... im not even gonna say it.

I don't see that many games on the PS4 that warrant a purchase on that console over all others, in particular exclusives.

In regards to hype, you can't deny that the PS4 got a lot of it thanks to their image that they "Care about the gamer" more so than Microsoft. The price of the PS4 helped too, as did the Wii when it was popular.

I can say the same thing about the PS4, just a fad that a majority of people bought in to. Unlike the PS4, the Wii had brought in a new, curious technology that happened to work. You can't deny that that strategy worked, something that lifted the Wii to a win of last gen. Also, don't try and downplay Wii's library either. There are plenty of games in all genres for the system, despite the faulty image it gets.

In short, its okay to be sold based on hype. That's a sign of an excellent strategy that ended up working out for Sony this gen.They made all the right moves as did Nintendo last gen.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD