By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, PS4 is Selling on Hype? So what? Doesn't Every Generation Winner Sell on Hype?

ExplodingBlock said:
todd2r said:
kljesta64 said:
not only on hype but also because microsoft and nintendo screwed up.

This^  its a perfect storm for Sony. Everything has gone right. I fell for the hype and bought one in January, so +1 for Sony. I even preordered the white Destiny bundle. However, I bought an Xbox One about 2 weeks ago and have been much happier. I have since cancelled my white ps4 Destiny bundle and switched it to the white Xbox One sunset overdrive bundle. The grass isn't always greener. Anyways, I give Sony their props. They have done a great job and people are eating it up. 

Basically this is 5th gen where Nintendo & Sega messed up?

Pretty much. Great comparison actually. It definitely cant be the game lineup or the holiday lineup. I mean come on, its terrible. 

Around the Network

The PS4 will be getting all the biggest third party games plus they most likely will look better on it then they will on the competitor console, that's why it's selling so well. This gen is all about third parties

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

To be specific, PS4 is not successful on HYPE. Many pointed out Nintendo and Microsoft messed up, but gave vague details on why. Heres my take:

Nintendo completely messed out by not coming out with any games that the Tablet needed to be utilized with besides... Well ZombiU? They had an innovating idea but with no justification of why the idea was done in the first place. To this day, they're is NO GAMES that really implement why we really need a tablet for a controller. NSMb2, MK8, SM3DW, DK:TT, W101, Pikmin 3 and LoZ:WW can all be played W/O the Tablet, and those are the consoles best games. Maybe if Nintendo were to come out with games to show 3rd party developers what the Pad can be used for, they'd still have their support. Another reason is that Nintendo didn't come out guns blazing with none of its great franchises (Zelda, SSB, MK) etc.I remember buying a Wii just so I can get the CHANCE to play the Twilight Princess. Also the obvious reason is that its behind the other consoles in Specs, but IMO that's overrated because the Wii was still successful with PS3 and 360 being suprior in specs.

Microsoft first mess up was with their 360 (yes you read right). Most people that got that dreaded RROD vowed NEVER to purchase anything XBOX related again (including me), mainly because Microsoft knew they'd be screwing 30% of their launch date customers but still sold the defective consoles anyway. The fact that they initially told gamers they can't buy used games (misinterpreted, I know) that will work with the console, and they fact that it's $100 bucks more than the PS4 made them REALLY look like Greedy Company who wanted even the lint from your pockets.

PS4 on the other hand came out with a mixture of everything, 2 to 5 Exclusive games with a mixture of 2nd and 3rd party support. They sold simply an upgrade to an already great console. Forget the Gimmick Tablet Nintendo is trying to selling you, and forget Microsoft trying to pinch every last penny out of you. This console is safe. Sony will sell you the same games, which about 90% of them you can still buy on a PS3, that will look better. And the public iate it up buying upgraded games like COD: Ghosts and Last of Us :Remastered

And yes, I will buy a PS4 soon, when the price drops.

NickK said:
PS4 totally does not deserve its sales. Personally, there is nothing that I like about the console. I even wish it hadn't existed.

But let's get real, let's see how Sony gets away with its ''consoles''. (Mods do not ban me again because I do not like Sony).

1. Sony uses EXTREMELY aggressive marketing and promotion. Even like the most poor kid living in the most remote area knows about PS. (About the kid is just an example, of course I do not discriminate against anyone!!!)

2. Sony ALWAYS uses gimmicks and tricks but ''gamers'' always fall for them and applaud them as well.
-PS1 succeded only because it had CDs. I still remember that all of my friends that had PS1 came to my house to play N64 admitting N64 was a better system due to 3D fact (SM64).
-PS2 had the DVD player incorporated. If ''gamers'' are happy about PS2 sales, they must be happy when lots of people just bought PS2 because back then a DVD player was the same or even more expensive than a normal DVD player. This is how PS2 got its sales making the competition suffer. I have never been more disgusted by a move from a gaming company.
-PS3 has blu-ray. Surprisingly, it did not work this time. Nobody was or is (very) interested in Blu-Ray. I mean, come on. A blu-ray costs like 60 dollars in Australia or 40 euros in Europe!!!

3. Sony pays stores to have lots of space with consoles, games and accessories. I know that because I used to work for Media Markt one year. Not to mention, sales people are forced to promote PS.

4. Sony prides itself about having top-notch technology all the time. OMG! Give us a break!

I am not here to judge or something but these are facts, I myself am a console collector, so I own all consoles including PS4.

You're criticizing Sony for including a feature that people obviously wanted? A feature that has since become an industry standard? Heck, even Nintendo moved over to custom versions of DVD and Blu-Ray (for some reason they still refuse to allow proper disk media functionality though...).

Whatever x y z reason you want to credit to their success is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is both the PS1 and PS2 were successful not only a media devices, but as GAMING consoles. You only need to look at their software tie ratios to see that.

Even the PS3, while a financial failure, was a successful console sales wise. It even has the most critically acclaimed library of exclusives of all the the 7th gen systems, largely thanks to their 1st party efforts over the last few years.

I'm personally happy to see the PS4 doing so well. They may not directly "deserve" it at present, but when the competition is a console with almost no 3rd party support and another that has continuously shot itself in the foot, it's easy to understand why the PS4 is coming out on top. Sony being the only ones not to fuck anything up is all the justification anyone should need for the PS4's sales.

CGI-Quality said:
todd2r said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Basically this is 5th gen where Nintendo & Sega messed up?

Pretty much. Great comparison actually. It definitely cant be the game lineup or the holiday lineup. I mean come on, its terrible. 

You're saying PS4's holiday line-up is terrible?

*jumps in* I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's sure as hell not good. It (and the X1's) deserve praise for being good as far as 1st years go, but it's still ultimately pretty dull.

Overall i'd say the X1's holiday line up is slightly stronger (even account for digital titles), but it likewise has had a worse rest of the year than the PS4. Overall both have had an equally mediocre 2014.

2015 is shaping up to be pretty incredible though.

Around the Network

Tell that to the Wii haters. Its all good though. Its because Nintendo and Microsoft screwed up.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

starcraft said:
Whilst there are errors of assumption in the OP, generally I can agree that an abundance of quality games are often not the determining factor for console sales - especially early in the generation.

Sony have just launch a standard console with an incremental power improvement, a strong brand name and no major screw-ups. On the other hand, Microsoft and Nintendo have demonstrated severe marketing and public relations incompetence.

Hopefully as the generation rolls on games will play a greater role in determining sales, but they will never be the sole (or even leading) factor.

The only time I can remember software backing up sales and hype is the PS2 because the scope of exclusive AAA games was just mind boggling but even then, the PS2 wouldn't have BECOME the best selling console ever had it not been the "it" console to begin with. 

I remember going to see a movie many months before the launch of that console and seeing a trailer for it before the movie. It was at that point where I knew my Dreamcast was, sadly, about to turn to dust.

Hype... it's real.

The "Bible" for this gen.
Good job poster zero zero zero zero zero zero zero one............

Locknuts said:
Mike_L said:
Locknuts said:
Unfortunately I think the hype is dying down. I bought a PS4 during a flash sale and am trying to sell it at a profit (but still well under retail) but am not having much luck. Not sure what's going on...

I don't understand why you're selling it right before the great games start releasing. Have you seen PS4's 2015 lineup of exclusives and multiplats?

What's your price?

Well it retails for AU$549 and I'm selling it unused for $480 negotiable (I'll go to $450). I have seen the exclusives and apart from Uncharted I'm really not interested. I'm getting the multiplats on PC where they're cheaper and run at higher FPS.

The reason I'm selling now is because I thought the hype train would be chugging along stronger than ever BECAUSE of the line up and that I'd get my full asking price. It's a sleek piece of hardware with a great line up but as a PC gamer it's kind of useless apart from ND games. 

Maybe I'll get some bites after Destiny launches. I'm not interested but I'm more than willing to profit from the hype :)

Ok. That's completely understandable especially when you have a strong pc.

VanceIX said:
Yeah, nothing wrong with it selling on hype. It just seems people will bash you if you say it is. Almost every successful console originally sells on hype.

I didn't intend to argue about it selling on hype but rather argue about whether that hype was deserving or not. Looking at PS4's future lineup I think it is.

And where's the bashing in this thread? :S