By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, PS4 is Selling on Hype? So what? Doesn't Every Generation Winner Sell on Hype?

So many tears, it's delicious. Too bad we can't have them on the week chart too, haters are nowhere to be find there.

Around the Network
WebMasterFlex said:
So many tears, it's delicious.

nah its getting sad

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

CGI-Quality said:
NickK said:
PS4 totally does not deserve its sales. Personally, there is nothing that I like about the console. I even wish it hadn't existed.

I am not here to judge or something but these are facts, I myself am a console collector, so I own all consoles including PS4.

The rest of the post is pretty bad, but these contradict themselves. In regards to "facts" - most of what you posted was anything but those.

Sorry but you are talking s*^t

No, generation winners sell on games.

JazzB1987 said:

There is HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE like watchdogs level of hype and there is HYPE. Only one is deserved hype. To the average joe  tho it makes no difference because they have to swim with the stream they cant think for themselves and do what people tell them to do. They are drones of an ant-queen (PR/Media)

Some people have to swim with the stream because they can't think for themselves... and some people have to swim against it because they need to feel like the smartest guy in the world. I despise both. How do you know who just generally likes non-mainstream stuff and who's just jtrying to satisfy their superiority complex? The former doesn't whine on the internet about how everybody's a drone

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Zekkyou said:
Snoorlax said:

"PS2 is the weakest console of the bunch."

Sony fans: So what? It's not about specs and power, it's about the games! Actually it was about hype from PS1 kicking arse, which was about hype because CD player. It's not about specs, power or games. 

So you're saying PS1 sold only because people needed a cheap CD player. That means PS2 sold so well only because people needed a cheap DVD player.

"PS3 sold less than Wii and lost this generation"

Sony fans: So what? It's not about sales or hype, it's about specs and power! Did anyone ever actually say this? No? I didn't think so. 

I guess you didn't buy a PS3 back in 2006/2007, these arguments against Xbox and Wii were contradicting and hilarious.

"PS4 is selling because of hype"

Sony fans: So what..? SO WHAT? That's what I'm saying, so he agrees right? 

Yes, i agree that Sony fanboys are the worst.

Aah, the selective negative generalization of a fanbase. It's almost cute when people post these.

Hey, you can always call Nintendo fans kiddie and Xbox fans stupid but Sony fanboys are the worst.

It is what it is.

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:

The PS1. It didn't sell off of hype (it really couldn't). It had, arguably, the best launch of any PlayStation and road a steady line-up until FFVII came out. I agree with you about the PS2, though. Just so happened to live up to its hype ten-fold (while, ironically, being my least favorite PlayStation).

I am not so sure...PS1 launch games were pretty terrible and Sony marketing hype was in top gear. U R Not (red) Let's not forget the 1995 E3 sony had where they spent more money on their booth than everyone else combined. 

But to your point, PS1 didn't start selling really well until the great games came out, and it had a price advantage. Hence it wasn't all hype...

Ridge Racer? Extreme Games? Toshinden? Jumping Flash? To name a few. They were defninitely not terrible. Besides, I remember the marketing, but not the hype. Not for PS1. People didn't start catching on right away. It certainly had no where near the hype of either the PS2 or PS3.

A new to market console maker isn't going to generate hype from day 1. It takes time for the necessary hype to build. Pinpoint when sales went from competetive to dominant and that's where the hype will have kicked in.

PS4 sales were dominant from day 1 (globally in the globe of course, not globally in the USA) so the hype kicked in pre-launch.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

CGI-Quality said:
binary solo said:
CGI-Quality said:

Ridge Racer? Extreme Games? Toshinden? Jumping Flash? To name a few. They were defninitely not terrible. Besides, I remember the marketing, but not the hype. Not for PS1. People didn't start catching on right away. It certainly had no where near the hype of either the PS2 or PS3.

A new to market console maker isn't going to generate hype from day 1. It takes time for the necessary hype to build. Pinpoint when sales went from competetive to dominant and that's where the hype will have kicked in.

PS4 sales were dominant from day 1 (globally in the globe of course, not globally in the USA) so the hype kicked in pre-launch.

You know I agree with your sentiments, correct?

Must have mis-read

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix