By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: WII U Will Still be Ahead of XBOX One in 2017

padib said:

All those games are coming out on PS4. Destiny being a sci-fi online shooter has more xbox vibe to it so odds are it will do well on that console, but meanwhile the U has smash.

If MK8 was single-handedly able to double the U's baseline, I think something is severely lacking in your PoV. Or maybe you don't want SSB to do so well?

It seems most of the time opinions here are based on what people want to sell well, and not on what makes sense. SSB has never sold less than 7m lifetime, even on the cube. Why would its system-selling and game-selling strength suddenly disappear now?

It makes no sense to me.

What does Wii U from now on? MK was the biggest franchise. We now have on it:

- SSB: ~10M

- Mario 3D: ~10M

- Mario 2D: ~20M?

- Zelda: ~7M

- StarFox: ~3M

- BF: ~7M

- Elder Scrolls: ~10M

- Fifa: ~5M

- Batman: ~4M

X1 will have:

- AC: ~5M

- COD: ~8M?

- Halo: ~12M

- Gears: ~7M

- GTA: ~15M

- Metal Gear: ~5M

SSB will give it a boost, but not as good as MK. X1 has all the biggest games that will come to the gen. Most people will go to the PS4, but the ones that won't will choose mainly the X1 because the games are there. People want GTA, COD, BF, Fifa and all the games they are used to. Smash sold 7M on the GC? Ok. Halo did the same on the original XBox, so we have a draw here. And that can be a stretch, because SSB is avaiable on 3DS while Halo 5 is X1 only. Zelda? It's on the same level as Gears (saleswise). Of course SSB will do well. But it's not one or two games that make a console sell, it's a library. XBox and GC had franchises with 7M+ but PS2 still crushed them. Because all the 3rd party strength was on PS2.

If you are still confident and think Wii U can hold the advantage until 2017, let's take a bet. I don't even want it to be until 2017, X1 will start 2016 ahead on LT sales. Gamers want 3rd party games +  a few exclusives. No 3rd parties, no buy. X360 and PS3 had a similar value to the consumer, so we got a 50/50. PS4 presented a better value (I'm not saying it's better, I'm saying the market had this opinion created by a combination of the early price advantage and more powerful specs) so it's getting a bigger slice of the market. Let's say it gets 65/35. Right now, gamers are choosing between these two machines.

I don't think we have a real system seller. Probably Wii Sports is the closest we have for it, but still it was more like the chosen showcase for motion controls. As I said, high selling franchises didn't saved the N64, XBox or GC of its competitors. You need to have all the 3rd party games and some exclusives to make a diff and that will build your library.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Scizor_99 said:

I`m not entirely sure, but what I do know is that MIcrosoft has been having the most trouble selling through their units. The PS4 is selling well, and the Wii U has less stock being ordered due to lower demand. The Xbox One has many big titles coming, so it`s better to overship should demand increase dramatically over the holidays than not meet demand and lose a competitive edge. 

Unfortunaly that is not how things works.

Overshipping is a wast of money, time and resources.

Companies spend money trying to predict how the sales will behave and how to have a safe margin of units. Off corse they could be wrong. Microsoft had this kind of problem with the first Surface and had to writgh down a 900mi loss in that quarter. 

But I think it´s hard to be wrong for 3 quarters in a row, without severe consequences. Even Nintendo predicting almost 3x more WiiU sales last year they end up shipping a volume close to the final demand.

This whole discossion over the WiiU and XOne sales is basic based on number we don´t know for sure. Other than shippment number we only have USA and Japan markets (and some times a glimps of major European market).

I´m realy interested in knowing why the WiiU (and the PS4 even) is doing so well in Europe and the XOne doing so bad. When the situation in the USA and Japan are clearly defined: USA price, Japan lack of games.

I`m no business expert, but isn`t it possible that that they could simply be shipping ahead of time as a precautionary measure. The console market has changed dramatically in the past few years, so it can be hard to read. Shipping costs could simply be deducted from future budgets, recovering profit in the mid-term. Significant overshipment should not happen again once we`re further into the Xbox One`s lifecycle as a clearer trend will have developed. In any case, it`s not as if the Xbox division is large enough to point that mistakes will severely affect the company.

I`m think the Wii U has been a fair bit overtracked these past few weeks in Europe, but I think it would make sense that the Wii U is above the Xbox One. The PS3 had a siginificant adavantage over its competitor in Europe and this advantage has strengthened with the PS4. With the PS4 being pitted primarily against the Xbox One, I don`t think it`s too difficult to believe that the PS4 could be eating out of Xbox One sales to the point where they`re lower than that of the Wii U

It seems like it won't matter if the Wii U retains its lead throughout the holiday season. Seece will simply cite the numbers as being over tracked...

I guess the real wager would be: do we all think that the Xbox is going to sell 2 million more units than the Wii U does this last quarter? Results of that magnitude would be easily visible when the sales figures hit for the holidays in early January.

My personal opinion: The Xbox will outsell the Wii U eventually - the U.S. is too large of a market, and I don't see Nintendo outpacing Microsoft on American soil anytime soon. That being said, I think it's unlikely that the Xbone will move not only more units than the U, but trample it with an additional 2m sold over whatever the U sells through this fall/winter.

Even a die hard X-boxer has to admit that the Wii U's numbers have been better since Mario Kart 8, and that Smash Bros. always moves consoles - it's a game that has traditionally pulled in players from across the aisle (Sony/Microsoft customers). Add to that Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and Captain Toad launches on the horizon, plus a back-library including Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Zelda: Wind Waker HD, with Nintendoland/3D World and Nintendoland/Mario Kart bundles to boot...

In light of what's on the table, it's hard to imagine that the Wii U will sell short of last holiday season. Beyond that, we gamers tend to think of elements such as amiibo as a non-factors. Are we really going to pretend that kids (and nerdy adults, myself included) aren't going to gobble those things up? I think it's safe to assume that Nintendo will have a decent autumn and holiday season this year.

I'm going to conservatively predict 10 million Wii U's sold through Jan 1st, 2015. Even if the Wii U had steady (current level) sales into November and then only matched last years holiday numbers (with only 3D World to bank on at the time), we're still looking at over 9 million - bottom barrel, with none of Nintendo's new offerings having any impact whatsoever.

Keeping in mind that its total lifetime sales are at 5.0 million...Will the Xbone sell over 5 million additional units in the next four months?

Honest answer: No it won't.

As I stated before, I believe the Xbox one will eventually pass the Wii U in sales. Additionally, I think that may happen as early as next summer. In all honesty, though, I just don't see it happening by the end of December. If the Wii U does as well as some are predicting and doubles last year's holiday sales, bagging ~11 by Jan. 1st, then it may be even longer before the Xb1 overtakes the U.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
It seems like it won't matter if the Wii U retains its lead throughout the holiday season. Seece will simply cite the numbers as being over tracked...

I guess the real wager would be: do we all think that the Xbox is going to sell 2 million more units than the Wii U does this last quarter? Results of that magnitude would be easily visible when the sales figures hit for the holidays in early January.

My personal opinion: The Xbox will outsell the Wii U eventually - the U.S. is too large of a market, and I don't see Nintendo outpacing Microsoft on American soil anytime soon. That being said, I think it's unlikely that the Xbone will move not only more units than the U, but trample it with an additional 2m sold over whatever the U sells through this fall/winter.

Even a die hard X-boxer has to admit that the Wii U's numbers have been better since Mario Kart 8, and that Smash Bros. always moves consoles - it's a game that has traditionally pulled in players from across the aisle (Sony/Microsoft customers). Add to that Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and Captain Toad launches on the horizon, plus a back-library including Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Zelda: Wind Waker HD, with Nintendoland/3D World and Nintendoland/Mario Kart bundles to boot...

In light of what's on the table, it's hard to imagine that the Wii U will sell short of last holiday season. Beyond that, we gamers tend to think of elements such as amiibo as a non-factors. Are we really going to pretend that kids (and nerdy adults, myself included) aren't going to gobble those things up? I think it's safe to assume that Nintendo will have a decent autumn and holiday season this year.

I'm going to conservatively predict 10 million Wii U's sold through Jan 1st, 2015. Even if the Wii U had steady (current level) sales into November and then only matched last years holiday numbers (with only 3D World to bank on at the time), we're still looking at over 9 million - bottom barrel, with none of Nintendo's new offerings having any impact whatsoever.

Keeping in mind that its total lifetime sales are at 5.0 million...Will the Xbone sell over 5 million additional units in the next four months?

Honest answer: No it won't.

As I stated before, I believe the Xbox one will eventually pass the Wii U in sales. Additionally, I think that may happen as early as next summer. In all honesty, though, I just don't see it happening by the end of December. If the Wii U does as well as some are predicting and doubles last year's holiday sales, bagging ~11 by Jan. 1st, then it may be even longer before the Xb1 overtakes the U.

Sales follow shipments soon after, and they will be on par end of September, let alone end of December.

2014 is impossible.
2015 is impossible.
2016.................. impossible.
2017..................................................maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.
I think in 2018-2019.

Around the Network
Seece said:
padib said:
Seece said:

I already answered, several times. It's not realistic. That's my response.

I went through every post in this thread. For all those related to tracking, here is the summary:

- It's not possible.

- It's discontinued console level ship vs sales.

The only possibly valid argument you've made TO defend those ideas was that there was no report of shortages. Of which I have not been able to verify the claim and to which I've already provided a counter-scenario that you refuse to address.

I hope you understand now why you're not getting favorable attitudes here because it boils down to it's true because I say so.

That's not how people get convinced.

You missed the fact that 20k on shelves with it doing 50k~ the immediate following weeks? Why are you either bothering with this tiresome and obvious argument? If you want to believe 20k on shelves is logical (it isn't, it amounts to (10k) to 190 WiiU's per American State) go right ahead. I won't and most here that have been here for years and know how the system works don't agree with you either.

So seeing as how MK is a big ip for nintendo and where expecting to move consoles, would it be unthinkable to asume that a shipment arrived just in time for MK and dint make it to the quaterly report?It could be true that as of june 30th there where only 20k, but what if by july 1st a new shipment arrived and tht dint make the finacial report? Does the nintendo financial report say when the shipments where made? If not, then you could bee seeing a close gap due to it being a while since the last shipment was made and retailers dint want to order many so they had few to beging with.

Like it matters, like it was said before, nintendo could anounce that it can be 7.5m tomorrow and you still would not belive them, but is MS anounces 10m you would say I new it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Seece said:
padib said:
Seece said:

I already answered, several times. It's not realistic. That's my response.

I went through every post in this thread. For all those related to tracking, here is the summary:

- It's not possible.

- It's discontinued console level ship vs sales.

The only possibly valid argument you've made TO defend those ideas was that there was no report of shortages. Of which I have not been able to verify the claim and to which I've already provided a counter-scenario that you refuse to address.

I hope you understand now why you're not getting favorable attitudes here because it boils down to it's true because I say so.

That's not how people get convinced.

You missed the fact that 20k on shelves with it doing 50k~ the immediate following weeks? Why are you either bothering with this tiresome and obvious argument? If you want to believe 20k on shelves is logical (it isn't, it amounts to (10k) to 190 WiiU's per American State) go right ahead. I won't and most here that have been here for years and know how the system works don't agree with you either.

So seeing as how MK is a big ip for nintendo and where expecting to move consoles, would it be unthinkable to asume that a shipment arrived just in time for MK and dint make it to the quaterly report?It could be true that as of june 30th there where only 20k, but what if by july 1st a new shipment arrived and tht dint make the finacial report? Does the nintendo financial report say when the shipments where made? If not, then you could bee seeing a close gap due to it being a while since the last shipment was made and retailers dint want to order many so they had few to beging with.

Like it matters, like it was said before, nintendo could anounce that it can be 7.5m tomorrow and you still would not belive them, but is MS anounces 10m you would say I new it.

There was a 5 week gap between MK and the new Q. Sales would not have been as they are displayed here if there were any sort of shortages.

Would I? Since when have I ever disputed solid numbers given out by any of the companies? Give over, don't portray that BS on me just because you don't agree with my opinions. If Nintendo announced 7.5m shipped tomorrow I would take them at their word. In fact, the only figures I am using in this argument as a solid basis IS Nintendos own.

Seece said:
padib said:
Seece said:

Oh I look at what is being said and I can't even begin to agree that 20k in the channel across Europe and NA is possible, like I said that's discontinued system numbers, not something that is selling 50k a week. You can jump through as many hoops as you like to get to whatever excuse you want to use, but it will not make sense.

What do you do about this question, which people raised often and you haven't adequately answered yet:

Retailers were reported to be disgruntled about the sales of the U before MK8 was released. The hypothesis is that retailers stopped backordering WiiU's because they were already having trouble evacuating their current stock and were possibly losing money.

Do you still want to hold on to the that it is a number only reserved for discontinued systems, or are you willing to consider this other case, where the system was selling so poorly before MK8 that retailers will be slow to renew the backorder stream?

We did not hear about mass shortages (just MK bundle shortages which where sent out that Q) it's just a pipe dream and I'm not even going to entertain it anymore. Adjustments will eventually happen because 20k on shelves outside of Japan is not logical in this situation.

Is this the same argument from logicmaster? When did I say the wii u had a shortage? I said retailers dint have many on shelves because they dint want them, because consumers where not buying them, because the stock they had was already gathering dust from people not even looking at them at that time.  Why would they order a console that at the time was selling under 30k WW, under 20k at some point. I think is impossible to not see the diference, Like padlib already said, you get all the arguments being presented to you, but you are unwilling to accept them as aposibility simply because you dont want to.

I know tht you think that if the wii u is actually selling that then that means the x1 is selling worst. But get over it. The wii u and x1 dont share the same audience, so despite how well the wii u does be it 100k a week or 10k a week, the x1 will do the same. So you trying your hardest to dowplay the wiiu will not do a thing. And I know you get tired of this kind of threads poping up, but thats because of people like you that keep making opsite threads, like the many that where made during titanfall. Like the one you made that got necrobumped. If the xbox fans let this kind of things die, then the nintendo fans will probably do the same.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Seece said:
padib said:
Seece said:

Oh I look at what is being said and I can't even begin to agree that 20k in the channel across Europe and NA is possible, like I said that's discontinued system numbers, not something that is selling 50k a week. You can jump through as many hoops as you like to get to whatever excuse you want to use, but it will not make sense.

What do you do about this question, which people raised often and you haven't adequately answered yet:

Retailers were reported to be disgruntled about the sales of the U before MK8 was released. The hypothesis is that retailers stopped backordering WiiU's because they were already having trouble evacuating their current stock and were possibly losing money.

Do you still want to hold on to the that it is a number only reserved for discontinued systems, or are you willing to consider this other case, where the system was selling so poorly before MK8 that retailers will be slow to renew the backorder stream?

We did not hear about mass shortages (just MK bundle shortages which where sent out that Q) it's just a pipe dream and I'm not even going to entertain it anymore. Adjustments will eventually happen because 20k on shelves outside of Japan is not logical in this situation.

Is this the same argument from logicmaster? When did I say the wii u had a shortage? I said retailers dint have many on shelves because they dint want them, because consumers where not buying them, because the stock they had was already gathering dust from people not even looking at them at that time.  Why would they order a console that at the time was selling under 30k WW, under 20k at some point. I think is impossible to not see the diference, Like padlib already said, you get all the arguments being presented to you, but you are unwilling to accept them as aposibility simply because you dont want to.

I know tht you think that if the wii u is actually selling that then that means the x1 is selling worst. But get over it. The wii u and x1 dont share the same audience, so despite how well the wii u does be it 100k a week or 10k a week, the x1 will do the same. So you trying your hardest to dowplay the wiiu will not do a thing. And I know you get tired of this kind of threads poping up, but thats because of people like you that keep making opsite threads, like the many that where made during titanfall. Like the one you made that got necrobumped. If the xbox fans let this kind of things die, then the nintendo fans will probably do the same.

Selling 50k a week either side of the end of June but only have 20k in the channel = shortages.

This holiday will have Smash Bros for Wii U, which will move units, and Halo: MCC, which will also. We'll see how reasonable claims like that are after the holidays.

The same thing is true about next year for Halo 5 for Xbox One. Star Fox and Zelda will help the Wii U seem to have more major games that people care about.

The real question is how many people that seek these core games that have long been guaranteed already have the system. Nobody bought an Xbox One not knowing that Halo would come to it, and the same thing is true for major Nintendo games on the Wii U.

I think Xbox One has some advantages in that it has online games that will draw people's friends in and keep people playing for long periods of time. Even with Smash, many people that want to play will just go to play against their friend at their house and not buy a copy or system of their own, since playing together is key to the game's target audience. Xbox One also has some lingering Xbox 360 loyalty and more media features and apps.

It's not impossible for the Wii U to sell better though, especially if Smash does amazingly this holiday season. I somewhat expect them to stay relatively close at least until 2015 holidays.