By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would you have named the new 3DS?

3DSi

3DS+

3DSz

etc etc

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

I'd prefer Super Nintendo 3DS, but Nintendo 3DS Advance is also a really good name.

Now I need to make one for the 3DS Advance...

EDIT: Made it.

3DSU

NintendoSupporter<3 said:
NextGen_Gamer said:
NintendoSupporter<3 said:

I see a lot of people complaining about the name, but when you think about it.....there's no other way you can name it. It's not the next gen of Nintendo's handheld so it can't be called "4DS". I saw some say it should have been called 3DSi or 3DS U, those are horrible names. 

Like I said in another thread, I think the remodeled 3DS will be Nintendo's last handheld. The Nintendo Fusion will be Nintendo's next thing. They just needed to bring more like to the 3DS because it really is showing it's age.

But what do you guys think?

edit: Well you guys proved me wrong quickly lol. 3DS+ should have been the name.

You say the "new" 3DS is not Nintendo's next-gen handheld, but let me ask you something - would you consider the Wii U to be a new console compard to the Wii? Because hardware-wise, the differences between "new" 3DS and original 3DS are only slightly less than what Nintendo did with the Wii to Wii U jump. For "new" 3DS, Nintendo apparently tripled the CPU clockspeed, doubled the GPU clockspeed, and doubled both the main memory and graphics VRAM on it. Then you add in the new buttons and C-Stick, and by most standards, the "new" 3DS is absolutely a new handheld system.

My biggest concern is this: because the "new" 3DS is more powerful and has a different control layout, they are already annoucned games that completely exclusive to it; games that will ONLY run on the "new" 3DS and not original. Now just imagine how many parents are going to be confused when they buy a game (which still use the same catridges), bring it home to their kid, only to find out their kid's 3DS isn't the "new" one lol. You would have thought Nintendo would have learned from such disasters after the Wii U, but I guess not.

So far, my favorite name on here is the Nintendo 3DS+ - simple, gets the point across, and I think would avoid a lot of confusion at retail.

Whoa slow down there....where did you get this information from about the GPU?

On the day of the announcement, first rumors said double the CPU & GPU clockspeed, and double the main RAM and VRAM in it. Now, the rumors are somewhat contradicting those first ones: they say Nintendo tripled the CPU clockspeed, doubled the RAM clockspeed (but left the amount of memory the same) and added in an L2 cache. But the GPU and its VRAM were unchanged.

However, when I watch the Xeonblade Chronicles trailer, the only exclusive built-for-"new" 3DS game, it doesn't add-up to me. Just adding in more CPU power wouldn't suddenly allow you to up the graphics quality like that. I think Nintendo did do some enhancement to the GPU itself to allow something like Xeonblade Chronicles to run on it.

Doubling the GPU clockspeed is something that should be EASY right now for them to do. If you assume the current PICA200 GPU from DMP is still being built on whatever its original process was (90-nm??? I can't recall right now), just bringing it down to 32-nm or 28-nm would give Nintendo the ability to double the clockspeed, and still have a chip like one-quarter of the original size and probably less than the half the power consumption too . This also plays into the better battery life the "new" 3DS has, despite having bigger & better LCD screens to power.

StarDoor said:

I'd prefer Super Nintendo 3DS, but Nintendo 3DS Advance is also a really good name.

Those are some sick logos man; you got talent. I actually didn't like the suggested Super Nintendo 3DS name that much, but when I see your logo for it, it makes me want to like it haha

Around the Network
StarDoor said:

That looks sweet. Too bad Nintendo lost their ability to name consoles over time.

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

StarDoor said:

Wow looks awesome

1DS

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

S3DS (super 3DS),
3DSA (3DS Advance)
3DS+

at least something to represent that it is a more powerful 3DS

3DS: Remastered