By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would you have named the new 3DS?

NintendoSupporter<3 said:

I see a lot of people complaining about the name, but when you think about it.....there's no other way you can name it. It's not the next gen of Nintendo's handheld so it can't be called "4DS". I saw some say it should have been called 3DSi or 3DS U, those are horrible names. 

Like I said in another thread, I think the remodeled 3DS will be Nintendo's last handheld. The Nintendo Fusion will be Nintendo's next thing. They just needed to bring more like to the 3DS because it really is showing it's age.

But what do you guys think?

edit: Well you guys proved me wrong quickly lol. 3DS+ should have been the name.

You say the "new" 3DS is not Nintendo's next-gen handheld, but let me ask you something - would you consider the Wii U to be a new console compard to the Wii? Because hardware-wise, the differences between "new" 3DS and original 3DS are only slightly less than what Nintendo did with the Wii to Wii U jump. For "new" 3DS, Nintendo apparently tripled the CPU clockspeed, doubled the GPU clockspeed, and doubled both the main memory and graphics VRAM on it. Then you add in the new buttons and C-Stick, and by most standards, the "new" 3DS is absolutely a new handheld system.

My biggest concern is this: because the "new" 3DS is more powerful and has a different control layout, they are already annoucned games that completely exclusive to it; games that will ONLY run on the "new" 3DS and not original. Now just imagine how many parents are going to be confused when they buy a game (which still use the same catridges), bring it home to their kid, only to find out their kid's 3DS isn't the "new" one lol. You would have thought Nintendo would have learned from such disasters after the Wii U, but I guess not.

So far, my favorite name on here is the Nintendo 3DS+ - simple, gets the point across, and I think would avoid a lot of confusion at retail.

Around the Network
NextGen_Gamer said:

You say the "new" 3DS is not Nintendo's next-gen handheld, but let me ask you something - would you consider the Wii U to be a new console compard to the Wii? Because hardware-wise, the differences between "new" 3DS and original 3DS are only slightly less than what Nintendo did with the Wii to Wii U jump. For "new" 3DS, Nintendo apparently tripled the CPU clockspeed, doubled the GPU clockspeed, and doubled both the main memory and graphics VRAM on it. Then you add in the new buttons and C-Stick, and by most standards, the "new" 3DS is absolutely a new handheld system.

My biggest concern is this: because the "new" 3DS is more powerful and has a different control layout, they are already annoucned games that completely exclusive to it; games that will ONLY run on the "new" 3DS and not original. Now just imagine how many parents are going to be confused when they buy a game (which still use the same catridges), bring it home to their kid, only to find out their kid's 3DS isn't the "new" one lol. You would have thought Nintendo would have learned from such disasters after the Wii U, but I guess not.

So far, my favorite name on here is the Nintendo 3DS+ - simple, gets the point across, and I think would avoid a lot of confusion at retail.

Please stop, the CPU, GPU and software environment of the wii and wiiu are completely different, additional hardware specifically for the controller stream functions been added, a blu ray drive instead of dvd, internal memory.

new 3ds has a slightly improved paralax barrier screen, an NFC reader and higher clock speed cpu, just like how the dsi has a faster clockspeed than the ds/dslite.

NextGen_Gamer said:

Nintendo apparently tripled the CPU clockspeed, doubled the GPU clockspeed, and doubled both the main memory and graphics VRAM on it.

Would you like to show a realiable source for this information? because by Nintendo's own words, only the CPU has been upgraded, other news outlets have mentioned "improved 3d performance" which would be a direct result of a cpu speed boost.

Other outlets have taken Nintendo saying "the 3D functionality has been improved" which is a REFERENCE TO THE PARALAX LCD, as being related to the GPU, which it is not - if you're reffering to the gameranx article, they pulled the numbers out of their backside, but even then, they state that the gpu and vram are the same as the old one.

The difference between the 3ds and new 3ds is minimal, the difference between wii and wiiu is massive.

3DS Vita

I saw specs just today; dozens of articles talking about how the "new" 3DS specs were leaked. Keep in mind however, Nintendo never officially publishes hardware specs for any of their systems, console or handheld. So no one will know for sure what has really improved in the "new" 3DS until it releases next month in Japan, and someone can tinker with it and tear it apart. Judging by the Xenoblade trailer though, I am going to assume the memory was upgraded; just upping the CPU clockspeed would have no effect on the graphics quality, but giving the developer more RAM to fit it higher quality textures and models would.

3DS Advanced

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network

3DS Upgrade. Anything is better than new.

See, I don't think any part of the 3ds name would be a great idea. They went from 'GameCube' to 'Wii', big success (and BC with GC lol). And GBA to DS, big success. The new handheld should get a unique name, it would prompt more devs to push the new hugely boosted specs, and the backwards comparability would just be a bonus. Naming it 3ds anything is a weak move destined to fail.

3DSi? I dunno

nice

NextGen_Gamer said:
NintendoSupporter<3 said:

I see a lot of people complaining about the name, but when you think about it.....there's no other way you can name it. It's not the next gen of Nintendo's handheld so it can't be called "4DS". I saw some say it should have been called 3DSi or 3DS U, those are horrible names. 

Like I said in another thread, I think the remodeled 3DS will be Nintendo's last handheld. The Nintendo Fusion will be Nintendo's next thing. They just needed to bring more like to the 3DS because it really is showing it's age.

But what do you guys think?

edit: Well you guys proved me wrong quickly lol. 3DS+ should have been the name.

Whoa slow down there....where did you get this information from about the GPU?

3DS lite. Kappa