By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 "stumbles where it counts"

Rêveur said:
Yeah, every preview I've read of this game has been rather negative. This person is far from being the only or the first person to say the game doesn't feel fun. Of course, people are going to defend saying it's just a demo and you can't judge a whole game based on that, yet isn't that what demos are supposed to do - give you a feel for what the final game will be? If the demo is disappointing, how likely is it the final game is going to be any better? I'm certainly not holding my breath.

I'd never been particularly interested in this game and all these negative reviews just confirm that it's not a game worth looking out for. I'd expect a pretty poor metacritic score, probably in the 70s.

How is that a pretty poor metacritic score?

Around the Network
Burek said:
CGI-Quality said:

Give you glimpses of the other side. Make of it what you will, but I wouldn't take some negative previews as the final word:

http://bgr.com/2014/06/11/the-order-1886-e3-preview/

http://www.gameskinny.com/7k9zh/the-order-1886-has-a-legitimate-shot-at-game-of-the-year

http://kotaku.com/playing-the-order-1886-feels-like-shooting-through-an-o-1605980750

http://gamingbolt.com/15-reasons-why-all-the-criticism-towards-the-order-1886-is-unjustified/15

Just a few of the previews that paint a very different picture (again, not posted on the site while I've seen plenty of negatives for it). Not saying that the game will be great based on positive previews, but the same is certainly in "Order" on the flip-side.

With thanks to the OP for choosing to bring us a negative review, I guess I'll just choose to accept more positive ones.

I have made up my mind to buy the game a long time ago anyway.

Am I supposed to post month old articles or ones that are posted on the same day? I saw the article from a big site so I posted it. Same as anyone else here. Also, its a fact that its getting mixed views from different outlets, don't get offensive because a negative one happened to be up today.

CGI-Quality said:
Teeqoz said:
Rêveur said:
-snip

How is that a pretty poor metacritic score?

The key was to read where he said: "I'd never been particularly interested in this game". Then he says all he reads are negative previews. Put 2 and 2 together. 

Huh? I asked him how a metacritic in the seventies is a pretty poor score. A lot of games that I enjoyed thoroughly got a score in the seventies.

It's pretty disappointing to hear that impressions have been mixed. Having said that, they have a few months to work out any kinks and make tweaks so I'm still hopeful.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I don't understand the complaint honestly. Gears of war had many many moments just like that and I loved those games. He played a demo and gave his impressions caught blame him just don't see anything wrong when he does.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Burek said:

With thanks to the OP for choosing to bring us a negative review, I guess I'll just choose to accept more positive ones.

I have made up my mind to buy the game a long time ago anyway.

Am I supposed to post month old articles or ones that are posted on the same day? I saw the article from a big site so I posted it. Same as anyone else here. Also, its a fact that its getting mixed views from different outlets, don't get offensive because a negative one happened to be up today.

Is this the way the world functions today? You thank someone, and they get offended? Why the hell do you believe I got offensive just because I thanked you for bringing us a negative review?

How unclear was I?

Again: Thank you for finding a negative review and posting it here. I am, however, very excited for this game, and what I've read and seen so far has only strengthened my intent to purchase the game. Hence, I will be more inclined, now and in the future, to focus on positive reviews, and I choose to dismiss the negative ones. Even though I acknowledge that they do exist, and that not all people can have exact same tastes in games and other forms of entertainment.

Is that precise enough of a clear thank you, or am I still being offensive? Should everyone in the future write a 2 page essay on thanking, just so that it can be understood as such?

I can forgive average gameplay as long as the game's settings and characters still hold up. It's a third person shooter. We know this. They've been done a thousand times before. If you're expecting the answer to the universe, or are just bitching because the gameplay isn't some super cool new original concept, then shut up and go make your own game. I think the setting is brilliant, and it's definitely not something that we've seen a whole lot from games. The whole concept of the order of knights in a conflict that has spanned thousands of years has so much potential. I can't wait for this game, and I don't care if I'm in the minority on that.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

MB1025 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

seems like he is complaining about how bad he is at playing the demo, and blaming the demo for it.

and what other type of weird guns do you hope to find in the late 1800s?

can't use that excuse while supernatural creatures are running around. Last I checked those didn't exist either.

Bit of a dumb comparison. They have demons and dragons in Dragon Age origins, so does that mean they should also have heavy machine guns, battle tanks and lasers?

Aside from the fact that RAD has said they designed weapons around where science was at at the time.

What is a worry is that hype can't be generated for the game if the demos at the various cons aren't compelling. And if you can't make compelling demos out of parts that aren't major spoilers then the game as a whole may not be so great.

If course hype alone doesn't sell games, and we can all think of games that were very hyped and should have sold 10 million if they lived up to the hype, but have not come close.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I will still buy this game, maybe not a day one purchase though. I love the steampunk setting of the world.

Also, im not sure if others listen to any IGN podcast but the PS podcast Beyond! Colin is widely known as the Fanboy for everything Sony, he continues to champion the Vita. For him to downplay a first party game seems odd. He does not like the Demon Souls games, but he does like Bloodborne because it's faster paced, which he see's as a plus.

Gameplay for this game is going to turn some people off. I've had hands on time with it already and will have quite a bit of hands on time with the game again next week.

Its beautiful, but anyone downplaying those who have played it you really shouldn't be. Overall I expect from what I've played a solid 80s Metacritic so nothing bad at all, but there will be people who don't enjoy this game.