By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade (port?) _exclusive_ for new 3ds (no "old" 3ds)

zero129 said:
Dont understand how this is a problem :-/ Apple does this every year with a device that costs €500+ .

I don't understand how this is a problem simply because it doesn't affect current 3DS owners.

Nintendo isn't holding back games that could have been released on original 3DS. They're making a new system that can play different games. If you don't want to play Xenoblade on the train, don't buy a New 3DS. If you do want to play Xenoblade on the train, you will have to accept that you cannot do that with your current 3DS model, as it is incapable of running the game.

If the new model peeves you, don't buy it. You will still receive support for your system. Maybe in a year or two or three you will see some value to the new model, and then you may buy it -- or there may by then be a newer model that is backwards-compatible with all 3DS titles and has new exclusives of its own.

Trust me, this is coming from a huge Xenoblade fan who now has to decide between the ability to play one of my favorite games wherever I want and the ability to play the sequel to one of my favorite games -- provided I don't want to spend $500 on Nintendo hardware within a six month period, which I absolutely do not. This is not an easy decision to make, but the knowledge that (should I decide on the Wii U) portable Xenoblade will be waiting for me when I'm ready for it makes me salivate with anticipation. This is my choice to make, and I don't blame Nintendo for offering me this opportunity.

Around the Network
celador said:
If that is exclusive to the new sku that is pretty shitty. I shouldn't have to buy the a third version of the same console to play a game

Yeah... cool that they are making the port but it kinda sucks if it's exlusive to the new model.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

the_dengle said:
zero129 said:
Dont understand how this is a problem :-/ Apple does this every year with a device that costs €500+ .

I don't understand how this is a problem simply because it doesn't affect current 3DS owners.

Nintendo isn't holding back games that could have been released on original 3DS. They're making a new system that can play different games. If you don't want to play Xenoblade on the train, don't buy a New 3DS. If you do want to play Xenoblade on the train, you will have to accept that you cannot do that with your current 3DS model, as it is incapable of running the game.

If the new model peeves you, don't buy it. You will still receive support for your system. Maybe in a year or two or three you will see some value to the new model, and then you may buy it -- or there may by then be a newer model that is backwards-compatible with all 3DS titles and has new exclusives of its own.

Trust me, this is coming from a huge Xenoblade fan who now has to decide between the ability to play one of my favorite games wherever I want and the ability to play the sequel to one of my favorite games -- provided I don't want to spend $500 on Nintendo hardware within a six month period, which I absolutely do not. This is not an easy decision to make, but the knowledge that (should I decide on the Wii U) portable Xenoblade will be waiting for me when I'm ready for it makes me salivate with anticipation. This is my choice to make, and I don't blame Nintendo for offering me this opportunity.

They're using manpower that could've been used to make normal 3DS games. Therefore it affects current 3DS owners.

Well that's weird.

Teeqoz said:
the_dengle said:
zero129 said:

They're using manpower that could've been used to make normal 3DS games. Therefore it affects current 3DS owners.

How much manpower? This is a port of a Wii game. Who do you think made it, Grezzo? Monolith Soft Kyoto?

Nintendo is also using manpower to make Wii U games, does the existence of the Wii U and Nintendo's promise to support it with exclusive software bother you as a 3DS owner?

Again, I own a 3DS and I doubt I will be able to upgrade to a New 3DS immediately no matter how much I need portable Xenoblade. When I look at the New 3DS and its software, I see games I will be playing in the future and that excites me. You can skip the New 3DS entirely and will most likely still be able to play those games because Nintendo has this nice habit of making their consoles backwards-compatible.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Teeqoz said:
the_dengle said:
zero129 said:

How much manpower? This is a port of a Wii game. Who do you think made it, Grezzo? Monolith Soft Kyoto?

Nintendo is also using manpower to make Wii U games, does the existence of the Wii U and Nintendo's promise to support it with exclusive software bother you as a 3DS owner?

Again, I own a 3DS and I doubt I will be able to upgrade to a New 3DS immediately no matter how much I need portable Xenoblade. When I look at the New 3DS and its software, I see games I will be playing in the future and that excites me. You can skip the New 3DS entirely and will most likely still be able to play those games because Nintendo has this nice habit of making their consoles backwards-compatible.

If you paid attention you would see that they "have multiple projects that will be exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS". Combined that'll become a fair amount of man-power (take in consideration that Super Mario 3D Land had a dev team of only 60 guys). Let's say several means five, and those five teams consist og seven guys each. That's 35 devs = more than half of a 3d handheld Mario.

By the way, I'm skimming the old 2DS reveal thread, and it's pretty entertaining. These two consoles are pretty much exact opposites.

There are some interesting posts in retrospect. I don't want to single anyone out.

Teeqoz said:

If you paid attention you would see that they "have multiple projects that will be exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS". Combined that'll become a fair amount of man-power (take in consideration that Super Mario 3D Land had a dev team of only 60 guys). Let's say several means five, and those five teams consist og seven guys each. That's 35 devs = more than half of a 3d handheld Mario.

I don't know what you're trying to prove. I would happily trade the ability to play half a game now for the ability to play five full games in the near future. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I am fully aware that Nintendo has multiple projects in the pipeline, but at the moment the only one we know about is Xenoblade. We don't know a single thing about the other exclusives. They might not even be made by Nintendo -- they could easily be third-party. Would you object to Monster Hunter 5 being New 3DS exclusive, given the series has possibly gone as far as it can go on vanilla 3DS, and we have already received two generations of installments on the console?

Yeah! Nintendo pisses me off with these upgrades! Why the fuck can't I play this game on my Gameboy?!?!??!? Dumb greedy company!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.