By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - inFamous Second Son at 1.5 million! People want a Sequel!

Tagged games:

Do these numbers guarantee a sequel

Yes, and I want one 87 53.05%

Yes, but I don't necessarily want one 21 12.80%

No, but I want one 30 18.29%

No, I don't recognize a ... 12 7.32%

Don't know 14 8.54%

Total:164
Dadrik said:
Teeqoz said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I think SP should give it a break for now and make a new IP, preferably sticking to their super power expertise.

They also have platforming expertise. Honestly I think SP is one of those studios that can excel at a lot of different genres.

I'd totally buy a platformer from these guys

Then go and buy Sly collection.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Why should I assume it didn't do well? You made a claim that it "only sold well because of a lack of titles on the system". I guess that you have data and info that I don't, but I'm glad we agree that the layoff talk was meaningless.

In short, you the made claims, here. Me, I recall the devs, themselves, talking about a sequel. I mean, I highly doubt we have just received a standalone DLC for an unsuccessful game.

That really doesnt mean anything. Castlevania Lords of shadow 2 had DLC and wasnt sucessful. Theres plenty of examples i'm sure.

Infamous 2nd son was a next-gen title that had very atractive graphics. I can only assume that for it to break even without DLC it would have to sell 2 or 3 millions. Since it didnt hit those numbers, i question if it was sucessful enough to warrant a sequal. 

Though its quite possible that Sony was willing to take losses on it to sell PS4's, Shu has admited that they dont make a profit on most titles. Anyways its my opinion, i can tell that this back and forth wont lead anywhere. :)

Teeqoz said:
Dadrik said:

Oh come on ! I missed so many games, dammit !

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Dadrik said:
Teeqoz said:
Dadrik said:

Now that you're at it, why don't you buy Ratchet and Clank collection as well (unless you have it). But did you not know that Sucker Punch made Sly o_O

Teeqoz said:
Dadrik said:

Now that you're at it, why don't you buy Ratchet and Clank collection as well (unless you have it). But did you not know that Sucker Punch made Sly o_O

I'll buy it towards the end of the year I think (Ratchet & Clank)

And yes, I actually knew they made it, but I kinda forgot, sorry !

Around the Network
Nem said:
CGI-Quality said:
Nem said:

How do you know? Did Sony say something? There were layoff's at sucker punch so i would assume quite the contrary, that the game failed to meet expectations.

Layoffs at Sucker Punch mean zilch without context. Do you know the amount of workers laid off? What if it was 2-5? They're a big company. We have no indication that the game didn't meet expectations, thus expecting a "Resistance-esque" future for the franchise makes no sense at all.

I assume you dont have a reason to say it did well for them then? It was an actual question.

Layoff's and sales numbers are the only info i have.

Well Naughty Dog got some layoffs lately but how come they increased in size. Sony Santa Monica layed off a lot of people just to hire a new team. A lot of the times when a project is finished there'll be a lot of people leaving the company and fresh meat gets hired. But in this internet world a dozen layoffs mean DOOM and FLOP and FAIL for some reason. Currently Naughty Dog (22) , Sucker Punch (2), Guerilla Games (30), Santa Monica Studios (7), Polyphony (6), REady at Dawn (15) and many more are still looking for new employees. 

Now let's use our brain for a second. 

As you can see Guerilla Games is looking for the most people. Guerilla Games new game moved from pre-production to production which means that they have figured that they need a certain amount of extra people (perhaps with different skillsets) to work on their new game. If they'll use the same engine as Killzone SF which I'm nearly sure off this would mean that they are not in need of that many engine programmers so some of them will get fire or their contract ends and move on to another project (perhaps at SWS or somewhere else). Seeing how Killzone ended Guerilla Games probably figured out that they'll need more gamedesigners and artists to bring their new game to life. 

The reason that Sucker Punch only has 2 open sports probably means that their next project has lifted off or they'll need fewer people to do the Job. They have never been big in the first place and usually range around 100 employees. 

Ready at Dawn and Naughty Dog have a game mid-production that will release within a year. So they'll probably still look for people for their current games and future games. ND has 3 games in development currently.

Evolution Studios has no job offerings currently, why hire people if the project is nearing it's end and pre-production of the next game is still in progress? I bet people will write doomscenarios that they got hit with layoffs after a few months when DriveClub releases when this is something common in every industry. 

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Nem said:

That really doesnt mean anything. Castlevania Lords of shadow 2 had DLC and wasnt sucessful. Theres plenty of examples i'm sure.

Infamous 2nd son was a next-gen title that had very atractive graphics. I can only assume that for it to break even without DLC it would have to sell 2 or 3 millions. Since it didnt hit those numbers, i question if it was sucessful enough to warrant a sequal. 

Though its quite possible that Sony was willing to take losses on it to sell PS4's, Shu has admited that they dont make a profit on most titles. Anyways its my opinion, i can tell that this back and forth wont lead anywhere. :)

It's only been like 5 months, yet you say it will sell bad? It has almost already passed the sales of it's predeccesor, and in only a tenth of the time, fer cryin out loud! It'll be close to, and maybe pass, 2 million by the end of the year. Assuming Sony earns 30 dollars (which is low-balling as they are both the platform holder and the publisher) that means 60 million dollars earned. I'm pretty sure that covers the dev-cost of this game.

Teeqoz said:
Nem said:

It's only been like 5 months, yet you say it will sell bad? It has almost already passed the sales of it's predeccesor, and in only a tenth of the time, fer cryin out loud! It'll be close to, and maybe pass, 2 million by the end of the year. Assuming Sony earns 30 dollars (which is low-balling as they are both the platform holder and the publisher) that means 60 million dollars earned. I'm pretty sure that covers the dev-cost of this game.

Also, 1.5M units sold (retail only, probably around 1.8M with digital) in 5 months on the current PS4 install base is not a bad thing at all.

That's 15% of the PS4 owners owning the game as well. So yeah, Second Son is doing pretty good, no matter what he says.

Dadrik said:

And after that you must get the Future Trilogy if you don't have it already (Ratchet and Clank)

You said you would totally buy a platformer from these guys, so I'll hold you to that statement, you will totally buy Sly!

Teeqoz said:
Dadrik said:

And after that you must get the Future Trilogy if you don't have it already (Ratchet and Clank)

You said you would totally buy a platformer from these guys, so I'll hold you to that statement, you will totally buy Sly!

I didn't say when :P But yeah, I'll probably look into it ! They look like a lot of fun.

It will depend on how much I liked the first trilogy of R&C games I think, but well, it's not like we're getting a lot of high quality platformers lately, on consoles...

I would love SP and/or ND to make a new big budget platformer. Because yeah, Knack isn't THAT bad and all, but it's not exactly good either...