By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why isn't the media covering the killing of an unarmed white youth by a black police officer?

Seece said:
mjk45 said:
Because there isn't a riot attached to it , also it doesn't come with a community feeling it's being targeted because of race.

So every black victim is caused because of race? Whereas every white man deserves it?

I think what he is trying to say, it isn't black and white issue(no pun attended).

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Smear-Gel said:
DonFerrari said:

Never saw any group complaining of the special attention and rights they get like early retirement, special lines, easier access to university, etc. People just complain about trying to get more rights and less obligations.

Both black and white people spend more time ignoring thier advantages over the other race and would rather play guilt olympics. Is this a surprise at all?

Heck, it's frustrating how nowadays, the general response to racism from many people (this thread included) is "forget about that and pay attention to MY RACE!"

I won't play the guilty game. But if you want to compare the allegdely advantage life gives by been while compared to inconstitutional class benefits (constitution states everyone is equal in law) it's your choice. I don't care about race I just find ridiculous the demand for special rights. Everyone is equal in law but by saying black, women and others need special leverage to compete that would be an understatement they are inferior.

Alleged? Are you kidding? The race debate is just people getting the standard politics statements out of the way rather than attempting to understand history, context, or other viewpoints. Those "inconstitutional class benifits" arent about raising one race above another, but more about allowing a race (that had a much lower chance of getting far in school due to a number of reasons) to have a more EQUAL opportunity. There can be debate on how necessary that is right now, but they were a very fair idea when they were implemented.

Being equal in the law means literally nothing. Racism has a lot to do with laws, but even more to do with mentalities and views of the population. Views that may end up in say, a person getting suspected of being a criminal more readily because of thier race.

mjk45 said:
Because there isn't a riot attached to it , also it doesn't come with a community feeling it's being targeted because of race.

Other shootings that were covered did not have a riot attached to them.

Soundwave said:
The Michael Brown situation really isn't even about Michael Brown. It's about the frustration that black communities have with police officers including the shooting/killings of multiple black men.

There was that black guy who got choked out in NYC for basically doing nothing and died, that didn't get much media attention either. But once in a while something happens that just pisses people off to the nth degree.

I'm white and I get that.

There was a black guy that got assaulted by the police and then charged for destruction of property because he bled on thier uniforms. I'm honestly disappointed people cant see the bigger picture in all this.

Question: What does getting far in school have to do with race?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

The opportunities presented to someone would be different for different races. A large number of african american, hispanic and other minorities were/are in lower income communities and have a harder time to afford education. They were/are also in a position where it would be easier for them to have to drop out to support thier families with low paying jobs or turning to crime, etc. There's more to talk about but that's the gist of it.

You're not gonna see a scholarship like that around say, beverly hills. Because everyone can afford school.

Because one is an everyday occurrence, and the other only happens every once in a while. Don't pretend you don't have privilege by being born white. I'm not saying you or I should feel guilty about it, but you should at least acknowledge it.

Smear-Gel said:
Lawlight said:

The opportunities presented to someone would be different for different races. A large number of african american, hispanic and other minorities were/are in lower income communities and have a harder time to afford education. They were/are also in a position where it would be easier for them to have to drop out to support thier families with low paying jobs or turning to crime, etc. There's more to talk about but that's the gist of it.

You're not gonna see a scholarship like that around say, beverly hills. Because everyone can afford school.

But that isnt a racial issue, it is an income issue.  The two get confused way too often.  The white people in the same situation doesnt deserve or need relief as well?  It is ok for them to drop out, get low paying jobs and turn to crime?

discrimination based on race is a racial issue.  Dropping out of school to pay the bills is an income issue...

Lawlight said:

It shouldn't have anything to do with race, but it does. White people in the US on average have 20 times more wealth than black people, and 13 times more than hispanics. This isn't because white people are "more driven." There's no connection between race and intelligence that's been discover. It's because of institutionalized racism, which does still exist, although not nearly as bad as it used to. White people in the US DO have better opportunities than black people do. It's getting better every generation, but it's still there. Pretending white privilege doesn't exist doesn't make it not exist. 

gergroy said:
Smear-Gel said:
Lawlight said:

But that isnt a racial issue, it is an income issue.  The two get confused way too often.  The white people in the same situation doesnt deserve or need relief as well?  It is ok for them to drop out, get low paying jobs and turn to crime?

discrimination based on race is a racial issue.  Dropping out of school to pay the bills is an income issue...

People dont realise that income issues and racial issues are very often intertwined. Like I said, lower income communities often have a significant number of people from minority groups. Do you think that's a coincidence?

Another annoying thing is that people seem to think these scolarships suddenly make regular scholarships dont exist that white people who are poor can access. Or that zero white people get scholarships now. If these scolarships set out to perform a specific thing, who cares? Plently of other scholarships for other people. Many of which wont likely go to minorities because, you guessed it, prejiduice and racism.