By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why isn't the media covering the killing of an unarmed white youth by a black police officer?

gergroy said:

I see what you are saying, but i think the thinking is flawed.  Just because there is a disproportionate percentage of minorities in the lower income bracket, doesnt mean that they should handicap the white portion of the lower income population.  This is where the confusion of racial and income issues resides.  

If they want to improve access to lower income people, they should, and not confuse it with race.  The higher income population are the ones that need to be handicapped, not the lower income white population.  I actually see a lot of scholarships awarded to very rich families, because they can pay to better educate or train their kids so they are often better academically and in extracurriculars.  That scholarship often turns into play money as their parents pay their way through school.  

You see, that is where the system is broken.

Yep. I agree. Education is broken. I'll never forget something my geography teacher said: "Education has become a commodity, to be bought and sold, rather than a service that should be available to everyone."

Rich people get scholarships for the reasons you listed way too much, and also because so many schools just love money now and like when rich parents give it to them.

And with that, this post has become completely off topic. Though I at least dont regret actually returning to this thread, which must mean something positive.

Also, forgot to make a comment earlier, some schools and jobs probably have minority percentages because given the choice, many places probably just wouldnt hire any minorities at all.

Around the Network

Reverse racism is the new thing

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

They should just make it so that black policemen are allowed to only shoot blacks, and white policemen shoot whites, and the problem is solved...
...because obviously nobody thinks that the problem is policemen shooting people at will in any situation...

Burek said:
They should just make it so that black policemen are allowed to only shoot blacks, and white policemen shoot whites, and the problem is solved...
...because obviously nobody thinks that the problem is policemen shooting people at will in any situation...

Dont be silly, racism is the answer for every question.

How do you think I passed my math final?

Smear-Gel said:
Lawlight said:
Smear-Gel said:
Lawlight said:
Question: What does getting far in school have to do with race?

The opportunities presented to someone would be different for different races. A large number of african american, hispanic and other minorities were/are in lower income communities and have a harder time to afford education. They were/are also in a position where it would be easier for them to have to drop out to support thier families with low paying jobs or turning to crime, etc. There's more to talk about but that's the gist of it.

You're not gonna see a scholarship like that around say, beverly hills. Because everyone can afford school.

A lot of students take student loans to pay for their studies. Is that not available in the US?

I dont live in the US. But I thought loans are avoided as much as possible because paying them back is hell.

Know what is hell to pay back? A mortgage. Student loans are nothing compared to that. Or as the other poster said, get a job and pay for your further studies.

Around the Network

Why don't police (wo)men learn to shoot arms and legs btw? Always killing people when they suspiciously move, easy to say it was necessary.
I get that in the US shooting and guns are alright to defend yourself but, really, tone it down a bit. Mistakes happen but nobody should be shot to death instantly.
I don't really care about who gets shot or where or what they've done. If you really are in danger, disarm or k.o. the suspect. Having the gun at hand is a great advantage compared to "suspicious" movements that are necessary for the suspect to grab a weapon and attack first. Just shouting "police! stand still or I'll shoot!" (if at all) doesn't work. People might even move and look suspicious because they panic when hearing words like that or looking at the police and guns. Why kill them right away instead of aiming at extremeties when they could be innocent? When I think about it I could end up thinking it's because you don't want to pay for their lives when it turns out they were innocent and you made them be handicapped or prisons are too full/expensive..

Baalzamon said:
It has everything to do with race, and nothing to do with the community, the riots, or anything else like that.

All shootings are bad, period, but when a white cop shoots a black kid, it is a perfect time for equal rights groups to pounce on it. Other than a few quick stories, there is nothing to be pounced on when a black shoots a white, however. It just isn't really any more significant than any shooting, which generally gets no more than a few minutes on the news.

100% this ^

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

tag for later

Smear-Gel said:
DonFerrari said:
Smear-Gel said:

Both black and white people spend more time ignoring thier advantages over the other race and would rather play guilt olympics. Is this a surprise at all?

Heck, it's frustrating how nowadays, the general response to racism from many people (this thread included) is "forget about that and pay attention to MY RACE!"

I won't play the guilty game. But if you want to compare the allegdely advantage life gives by been while compared to inconstitutional class benefits (constitution states everyone is equal in law) it's your choice. I don't care about race I just find ridiculous the demand for special rights. Everyone is equal in law but by saying black, women and others need special leverage to compete that would be an understatement they are inferior.

Alleged? Are you kidding? The race debate is just people getting the standard politics statements out of the way rather than attempting to understand history, context, or other viewpoints. Those "inconstitutional class benifits" arent about raising one race above another, but more about allowing a race (that had a much lower chance of getting far in school due to a number of reasons) to have a more EQUAL opportunity. There can be debate on how necessary that is right now, but they were a very fair idea when they were implemented.

Being equal in the law means literally nothing. Racism has a lot to do with laws, but even more to do with mentalities and views of the population. Views that may end up in say, a person getting suspected of being a criminal more readily because of thier race.

You basically answered yourself with prejudice. I have no problem with policies that Help poor people achieve better competition for opportunities against rich guys. But that have nothing to do with race, why should a rich black have access to these privileges and a poor white don't? Are swe saying a poor white have better chances and opportunities than a rich black?

And you ignored I wasn't singling black civil rights fighters, but feminists, gayzists, atheists, etc.

I am aware of profilling and that black officers also profile black, is he racist against himself? Most cases I see in profilling is towards attire and attitude (gangsta and hip hop kind) than pure color. I never saw no one profilling a black guy in suit going to work or church. Usually the profilling comes from black guy being in a majorly white neighborhood and whites on black.

But yes, let's reduce all towards race and hate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Because a mob of white people didn't riot because white people in the United States don't see themselves as being a singular group, but rather as a stratified group defined by economic status.

Unless that unarmed, white youth came from a wealthy, well-to-do family of high enough social stature, there's not going to be any backlash if he's shot by a law enforcement officer, regardless of whether said LEO was white, black, asian, hispanic or other.

Also because the shooting was in all probability, not racially motivated. There is no profiling of white people by black law enforcement officers of any note.