By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why isn't the media covering the killing of an unarmed white youth by a black police officer?

Dyarwolf said:
Sagemode87 said:
As a Black guy, I hate this double standard with the media. The media likes to make Blacks think it's the 1950s. People have been brainwashed to thinking it is. Racism isn't a one way street. The media agenda is to cause separatism and I'm sick of it.

I think many informed Americans feel this way. Although I don't believer there is much racism such as this at all, the media blows it up and all those who are misinformed make the situation worse. It's stupid that the media is dividing the country

Misinformation is the key word here. As shown in this thread a lot of people are just misinformed, they don't know or just ignore history and come up to strange conclusions.

I don't like the double standards at all and I don't like privileges given to a certain group over the other either. But I understand why there are privileges and why some events will shock some groups more than others. Education is still key in these debate and I'm not talking about some degree at university, I'm talking about education about being a human being. Man, woman, whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, arabs, gays, hetero, dwarfs etc should all be equals and being judged on even grounds. Until people stop being misinformed and start to educate themselves through history we'll have these weird debates.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
gergroy said:

But that isnt a racial issue, it is an income issue.  The two get confused way too often.  The white people in the same situation doesnt deserve or need relief as well?  It is ok for them to drop out, get low paying jobs and turn to crime?

discrimination based on race is a racial issue.  Dropping out of school to pay the bills is an income issue...

People dont realise that income issues and racial issues are very often intertwined. Like I said, lower income communities often have a significant number of people from minority groups. Do you think that's a coincidence?

Another annoying thing is that people seem to think these scolarships suddenly make regular scholarships dont exist that white people who are poor can access. Or that zero white people get scholarships now. If these scolarships set out to perform a specific thing, who cares? Plently of other scholarships for other people. Many of which wont likely go to minorities because, you guessed it, prejiduice and racism.

Im sorry, but that is just plain bull crap.  I am a freaking teacher and I teach an adjunct course for my local college.  I have a very good idea of how the education system works and how scholarships are awarded.  EVERYTHING about enrollment and scholarship applications are designed to favor minorities.  In fact, a lot of scholarships are mandated to have a certain percentage of minorities in it, so if there isnt enough minorities that apply, they will actually turn white students away, even though there is still money available to be given out.  There is way way way  way more prejudice against a white lower income student on college scholarships than a minority student.

Probably because there isn't a very long history of black police officers profiling, harassing, and brutalizing us white people.

Smear-Gel said:
Lawlight said:
Question: What does getting far in school have to do with race?

The opportunities presented to someone would be different for different races. A large number of african american, hispanic and other minorities were/are in lower income communities and have a harder time to afford education. They were/are also in a position where it would be easier for them to have to drop out to support thier families with low paying jobs or turning to crime, etc. There's more to talk about but that's the gist of it.

You're not gonna see a scholarship like that around say, beverly hills. Because everyone can afford school.

A lot of students take student loans to pay for their studies. Is that not available in the US?

Lawlight said:
Smear-Gel said:
Lawlight said:
Question: What does getting far in school have to do with race?

The opportunities presented to someone would be different for different races. A large number of african american, hispanic and other minorities were/are in lower income communities and have a harder time to afford education. They were/are also in a position where it would be easier for them to have to drop out to support thier families with low paying jobs or turning to crime, etc. There's more to talk about but that's the gist of it.

You're not gonna see a scholarship like that around say, beverly hills. Because everyone can afford school.

A lot of students take student loans to pay for their studies. Is that not available in the US?

I dont live in the US. But I thought loans are avoided as much as possible because paying them back is hell.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Smear-Gel said:

It certainly is!  Students could also get a job and pay for it out of their own pocket like i did.  I worked crappy minimum wage jobs full time for six years while also going to school full time! I got no help from my parents, the government, or any scholarships and I was able to pay for everything just fine without going into debt at all!

Caucasian Americans are way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to lazy to riot, look what happened during the crash of 2008 not a single riot, only a bunch of potheads camping on wall street. You guys need to step your rioting game up.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

gergroy said:
Smear-Gel said:
gergroy said:

But that isnt a racial issue, it is an income issue.  The two get confused way too often.  The white people in the same situation doesnt deserve or need relief as well?  It is ok for them to drop out, get low paying jobs and turn to crime?

discrimination based on race is a racial issue.  Dropping out of school to pay the bills is an income issue...

People dont realise that income issues and racial issues are very often intertwined. Like I said, lower income communities often have a significant number of people from minority groups. Do you think that's a coincidence?

Another annoying thing is that people seem to think these scolarships suddenly make regular scholarships dont exist that white people who are poor can access. Or that zero white people get scholarships now. If these scolarships set out to perform a specific thing, who cares? Plently of other scholarships for other people. Many of which wont likely go to minorities because, you guessed it, prejiduice and racism.

Im sorry, but that is just plain bull crap.  I am a freaking teacher and I teach an adjunct course for my local college.  I have a very good idea of how the education system works and how scholarships are awarded.  EVERYTHING about enrollment and scholarship applications are designed to favor minorities.  In fact, a lot of scholarships are mandated to have a certain percentage of minorities in it, so if there isnt enough minorities that apply, they will actually turn white students away, even though there is still money available to be given out.  There is way way way  way more prejudice against a white lower income student on college scholarships than a minority student.

And I would say that the scholarships favour the minorities because, like I said twice, there is some relation between race and income levels, and so they know that a minority would have a harder time getting into higher education than a white person.

As for the other stuff, I'm not saying this is perfect. Very often, good intendtions get excecuted in really stupid ways. No doubt about it, turning away students when there's still money available is just stupid. And due to the growing wealth gap, many people whould be considered the "majority" (ie, white) are now falling into the lower income bracket now. This needs to be addressed more, yes.

But that's not to say the existence of these practices are INHERENTLY bad, just excecuted poorly. But pretty much everything is done poorly now. Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

chapset said:
Caucasian Americans are way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to lazy to riot, look what happened during the crash of 2008 not a single riot, only a bunch of potheads camping on wall street. You guys need to step your rioting game up.

Lol, I cant even imagine people rioting here.  This is the headquarters of the mormon church, like 60% of the population is mormon...

Smear-Gel said:
gergroy said:
Smear-Gel said:

And I would say that the scholarships favour the minorities because, like I said twice, there is some relation between race and income levels, and so they know that a minority would have a harder time getting into higher education than a white person.

As for the other stuff, I'm not saying this is perfect. Very often, good intendtions get excecuted in really stupid ways. No doubt about it, turning away students when there's still money available is just stupid. And due to the growing wealth gap, many people whould be considered the "majority" (ie, white) are now falling into the lower income bracket now. This needs to be addressed more, yes.

But that's not to say the existence of these practices are INHERENTLY bad, just excecuted poorly. But pretty much everything is done poorly now. Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

I see what you are saying, but i think the thinking is flawed.  Just because there is a disproportionate percentage of minorities in the lower income bracket, doesnt mean that they should handicap the white portion of the lower income population.  This is where the confusion of racial and income issues resides.  

If they want to improve access to lower income people, they should, and not confuse it with race.  The higher income population are the ones that need to be handicapped, not the lower income white population.  I actually see a lot of scholarships awarded to very rich families, because they can pay to better educate or train their kids so they are often better academically and in extracurriculars.  That scholarship often turns into play money as their parents pay their way through school.  

You see, that is where the system is broken.