By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1st time

Tagged games:

I just finally beat Ocarina of Time for the first time on the 3DS, and I, to this day, still feel that game is quite possibly one of the most overrated games ever.

Is it good? Yeah, damn good.

Is it great? it's tugging at the cusp of greatness.

Is it the best of all time? Fuck no, not with as many issues as it had. While I am fully aware that many of its shortcomings and issues stemmed from the transition from 2D to 3D, that's no excuse for sloppy controls, ugly graphics, and broken gameplay.

While it was certainly a grand leap in the right direction, they still fell on their face.

I honestly think Egoraptor's sequelitis episode explained in fairly grand detail my thoughts on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOC3vixnj_0

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:

Dont expect to much because you were hearing so much praise (it will make you just see little flaws easier)

and dont forget its "old". It lacks hand holding compared to modern games.

Also think about the year it came out and always think stuff like (first real 3D 360° adventure game. Day night cicles were not common. First game with Z-targeting (enemy targeting) that works like in most modern games etc etc.) Know about the things this game did for gaming.

Keep those 3 things in mind and you will have a great time.

Revisionist history much? Tomb Raider says hello.

Runa216 said:
 sloppy controls, ugly graphics, and broken gameplay.

you can not be serious..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

kljesta64 said:
Runa216 said:

you can not be serious..

Maybe he missed a disclaimer, *by todays standards?

He could be serious.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

kljesta64 said:
Runa216 said:

you can not be serious..

Hey listen! If we're talking about the original, I must agree with him about the first two points.

Controls always felt very sloppy to me, and the graphics were really muddy. Then you have the frame rate that made your eyes bleed. 
The adventure was really good though. One of the best in the series. But technically, that game was a mess. It would have benefitted greatly from the memory extension pack.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
Runa216 said:

you can not be serious..

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

BraLoD said:

Yup, that's exactly what you just read, I just started to play the so called best game in history by a considerable amount of people, over 15 years after the actual release for the Nintendo 64.

I always loved the 2D old Zelda games on NES, SNES, GB, GBA, but I really never did a play through any of the consoles 3D games, so I decided to start playing it now, and I also plan to play Majoras Mask after it. (possibly Wind Waker and Twilight Princess too, specially Wind Waker).

I haven't seen you answer this question yet, so I am going to quote you to try and get your attention here.

What are you playing the game on?  N64?  3DS?  Something else?

What system do you plan on playing those other games?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

3 words:

Best. Game. Evaaaah!

theRepublic said:
BraLoD said:

Yup, that's exactly what you just read, I just started to play the so called best game in history by a considerable amount of people, over 15 years after the actual release for the Nintendo 64.

I always loved the 2D old Zelda games on NES, SNES, GB, GBA, but I really never did a play through any of the consoles 3D games, so I decided to start playing it now, and I also plan to play Majoras Mask after it. (possibly Wind Waker and Twilight Princess too, specially Wind Waker).

I haven't seen you answer this question yet, so I am going to quote you to try and get your attention here.

What are you playing the game on?  N64?  3DS?  Something else?

What system do you plan on playing those other games?

in his previous he said N64

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

BraLoD said:
Sorry for letting the thread without updates, but I am really having almost no time to play it since I started it, so I'm really at the first part of the game with not much to say yet.

But to people worried with the graphics aging badly, I'm finding them amazing, I didn't played it in 1998 but I have played a lot of games even older than this before and I know that was really good to 1998 standarts. Note: playing the N64 version.

But the main point is that the game really seems to have an amazing felling into it, I really liked it so far, and the music is too very good until now. (and Navi is really annoying ).

I don't know how long the game is, but I'll not try to rush into it, I wanna experience the fullest of it, as I always try to do with the games I play.

I'll try to give some updates when I play a little more of it, maybe I can play a little more later.

So glad you're enjoying it so far :)

What I love most about Ocarina is the way it immerses the player in the game world in such a thorough and convincing way. I've yet to play another game that transports me from the real world into a virtual space so completely.

It's a combination of a lot of things -- the size and scope of Hyrule, expert dungeon design, beautiful music, amazing sound design, full freedom of movement, responsive and intuitive controls, coherent and often stunning art direction, a cast of memorable characters, and, perhaps most importantly, a carefully calibrated mixture of combat, exploration, and problem solving. The end result is an action-adventure game quite unlike any other, built around a captivating fantasy world filled with gorgeous sights and sounds and plenty of challenges designed to test players mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Sorry to ramble on. I just really love Ocarina of Time :)

I hope you continue to enjoy it!