By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS4 reach 10 million sold? - ioi comments on undertracking

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
starcraft said:

Digital.

Digital...Console sales?

How???

How long does it take to download a PS4?!

It takes some time but you can already start playing with it before it's completely downloaded.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
overman1 said:
starcraft said:

Digital.

regardless, this site fall behind on sales and is almost always undertracking...

I guess I see it like this.

I've been on this site 6 years. The tracking is a HELL of a lot better than it was back then.

In those six years, I have no doubt spent dozens or perhaps hundreds of hours on the site. This has come from bursts of large amount of time and periods where I log in once every three months.

For all this entertainment, information and sales speculation, I have paid ioi precisely $0.00. Sure, I have likely generated some ad traffic, but I frankly dont think that entitles me to have a mad bitch about the sales figures, their inherent flaws and strengths, and whether or not obscure PS3 game &*$% from the year 2007 has been properly updated with the correct sales announced by the developer at the end of an investor teleconference 7 years on.

I think we've even less right to bitch since VGChartz started offering a paid service that no doubt full lists all the strengths and limitations of the data to an extent far greater than is required or can reasonably be expected by free users. And ultimately, in this glorious free economy, if you feel you can do better, you have every right to go and start your own sales tracking website - where most people will promptly end up with a reputation equivelant to Insiderp.

Anyway, thats directed at others in this thread more than you. I find the constant complaining boring at this point.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I'm not an expert on this site, but do you guys post your WW numbers by country?

Blood_Tears said:
starcraft said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

A wild IoI appears. VGchartz poster uses logic, its ineffective...

Er...what logic? ioi asked for for resources and research to bolster numbers, and the poster responded with #nahbutIsaidsosochangeitrightnowloser

wow Starcraft, that's pretty embarrasing. Posters have been banned in the past for generalizing and rewording another's post. Aerys made a good point about Germany's official numbers at that time and he did not say "#nahbutIsaidsosochangeitrightnowloser"

I might be misreading it but he didn't link to any official numbers at all? But I agree the hashtag was unnecessary.

starcraft said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
starcraft said:

Digital.

Digital...Console sales?

How???

How long does it take to download a PS4?!

Look at the post you quoted again buddy.

i'm totally being facetious

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
starcraft said:

Look at the post you quoted again buddy.

i'm totally being facetious

I am currently writing a paper about breastfeeding.

Your adult humour went straight over my head

So has chartz officially stopped pretending to be a professional market analyst firm?

overman1 said:
ioi said:
Just to add a little more transparency - one method we have used with PS3 / 360 to estimate sales in regions we don't directly track is via XBL and PSN accounts. So if, for example, we randomly pick 10,000 XBL accounts we can find what proportion of users are from each region - it might be 45.3% USA, 5.1% Canada and so on. Using the tracked data we have, we can then extrapolate to form an estimate of how many units may have been sold in the various MEAA regions.

What we can't do, is track say 75m units in the regions we cover then just say "oh there must have been another 7m sold somewhere" just because a manufacturer announces a figure (which may or may not be sold-through). I don't like the idea of just having a catch-all number like that - we need to be able to account for every unit sold either directly or via a measured and logical extrapolation.

Well that method seems to be lacking severely. 

Not every Xbox One or PS4 owners have PSN or XBL accounts. In countries were the internet connection is very bad or non existent. How can you track a console sale using this method?

I agree, this is by far the worst possible method of estimating anything.

Especially since every even remotely knowledgable user outside the US creates a US account to have access to cheaper games.

This can be the reason why ROW is undertracked, as, since you have US numbers, attribute a disproportionate percentage of consoles to the US accounts, thus underestimating EMEA primarily.

As an example, I live in Croatia, and on my console I have 1 Croatian and 13 US accounts which I used to buy games. Hundreds of others do the same, as well as numerous others across Europe and Asia. 

If this is the method you use to estimate sales data, no wonder you are missing 600k consoles...

cycycychris said:
For all we know, Sony could have assumed the number.

The only chance this would happen is if their entire marketing department is run by a bunch of chimps with a bad case of diarrhea. This would have to be failure of embarassing proportions from the sales dept, to the legal dept. all the way to the marketing communication dept. Possible, but highly unlikely.

Man, if I was ioi I would be swinging the perma-ban hammer left and right. So much emotion over a mostly free service.

Also, having been here so long I had already guessed they did not know where the consoles had been sold. i thought it rather obvious.