By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS4 reach 10 million sold? - ioi comments on undertracking

Baalzamon said:
I seriously don't get the huge fuss. Do people have no clue how estimating with statistics works? It will never, ever be 100% accurate. I've pretty much always assumed a 5% margin of error with #'s on this site. Some will be less, some will be more. So a 7% error is a little on the high side, but is by no means unreasonable.

ioi has made it perfectly clear they aren't just going to plug numbers in, which is really only reasonable, as that would make some numbers off by considerably more yet.

Just give it a little time, I'm sure it will be fixed appropriately.

Again, this is not a 7% "tracking" error, since he gets NPD every month and updates from Sony every month too (last was 7m). Even with those updates and the following adjustments he was still off almost 30% when looking at the April-August time frame.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
I can't believe what I've read so far in this thread. Could we get a link on the front page of VGChartz to the policy on hardware numbers and how they're calculated? The ignorance amongst members here is astounding.

If they just create numbers 'because Sony said so', there goes their credibility and consistency. Sony's numbers would be estimates too.

As others have said, I also can't believe how polite the mods have been. VGChartz have their methods. If you don't like them, then that's your problem, not theirs.

Except they have so much more info their "estimates" can be in the 99.99 % right, while vg over the last 4 months and last adjustment undertracked by what 30% or something.  It is their problem casue their methods are fialing them this gen, we bitch about free shit but its given free so its in out right.  But they charge people for info, info thats 30% of the markt.  Tahts ah hell of a probelm if your running a pay service for anything.  I doubt they are happy being of and wrong so constatly.  

Sonys numbers are the most precise legit best acounted for best estimated best backed by info out in the market, they have access to all the trackers in the world.  They have shipment and production numbers.  They have sell through form retailers and reorders for more stock.  And Access to how many PS4 log online.  Any one arguing agianst that and pro 30% of numbers in hilarious.  

but we know for a long time that numbers are not accurate, how many times do game sell almost the same on different platforms? Like 21K for COD on Xbox and 20k on PS or the other way... the problem is the countries we don't have any information from..

Baalzamon said:
I seriously don't get the huge fuss. Do people have no clue how estimating with statistics works? It will never, ever be 100% accurate. I've pretty much always assumed a 5% margin of error with #'s on this site. Some will be less, some will be more. So a 7% error is a little on the high side, but is by no means unreasonable.

ioi has made it perfectly clear they aren't just going to plug numbers in, which is really only reasonable, as that would make some numbers off by considerably more yet.

Just give it a little time, I'm sure it will be fixed appropriately.

More like 30% error since last adjustemnt.

How is it resonable when they have adjusted numebrs on the fly before, they almost go by what Ninty announces for Europe and adjusted 360 2 days after MS announced numbers as some already said.  Fix is easy, add it to others since they know all the other markets.  Theres a clear anti sony sentiment on here.

GamechaserBE said:
So much talk still not one user who can not tell where those 600k numbers went and just attacks ioi.... ioi or other users are not saying sony is lying but must be a good idea where those 600k has been sold... ioi can't just put 600k sold to Luxembourgh...

Screw logic! Let's just go and attack the site's owner!!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
So much talk still not one user who can not tell where those 600k numbers went and just attacks ioi.... ioi or other users are not saying sony is lying but must be a good idea where those 600k has been sold... ioi can't just put 600k sold to Luxembourgh...

Others.

Since we know US Japan and most major Euro ones as they leak enough and are more trackabale.

Its only a basic process of elimination where its sold those extra units.  

rather simple.  

BeElite said:

Except they have so much more info their "estimates" can be in the 99.99 % right, while vg over the last 4 months and last adjustment undertracked by what 30% or something.  It is their problem casue their methods are fialing them this gen, we bitch about free shit but its given free so its in out right.  But they charge people for info, info thats 30% of the markt.  Tahts ah hell of a probelm if your running a pay service for anything.  I doubt they are happy being of and wrong so constatly.  

Sonys numbers are the most precise legit best acounted for best estimated best backed by info out in the market, they have access to all the trackers in the world.  They have shipment and production numbers.  They have sell through form retailers and reorders for more stock.  And Access to how many PS4 log online.  Any one arguing agianst that and pro 30% of numbers in hilarious.  

Sony does not have the exact amount of consoles sold. Period. Much of their information would be the exact same info VgChartz is using, as Sony has no clue if a store has sold their PS4 or not. A reorder from a store is not indicative of whether the store has sold all of their PS4s. It simply means the store wants to purchase more of them, as it sees continuing demand in the future. Or perhaps stores have begun stocking more at a time because they were having supply issues and running out before.

There is no certainty in whether or not VgChartz is accurate with their #'s right now, but your 100% belief in the sales figures provided by Sony is rather amusing.

You should google companies lying about their sales figures. It actually happens quite often. But you keep believing what the companies say their sales are, because they clearly have all the information and cannot possibly be wrong.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I'm genuinely curious when the 1m sales adjustment occurred for the 360. Was it when it only had 9m in total sales, or was it when it had about 50m in total sales, and only represented about a 2% adjustment?

There is a big difference between doing a 1-2% adjustment in 2 days to doing a 7% adjustment in 2 days.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

AZWification said:
GamechaserBE said:

Screw logic! Let's just go and attack the site's owner!!

Plenty of logic has been presented in the thread. Just too bad that the owner and his "defenders" decide to ignore most of it.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Baalzamon said:

I'm genuinely curious when the 1m sales adjustment occurred for the 360. Was it when it only had 9m in total sales, or was it when it had about 50m in total sales, and only represented about a 2% adjustment?

There is a big difference between doing a 1-2% adjustment in 2 days to doing a 7% adjustment in 2 days.

You're still not using the percentages correctly. You can't just look at the lifetime sales and use that as the base when we're talking about a sales website that basically bases most of its numbers on monthly or yearly numbers from other trackers (and roughly estimates the rest) or from official numbers (like the 4.2m, 7m and 10m from Sony).

The One and Only

VizionEck.com