By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fez: A masterpiece, one of the best game of this generation, but WHY? [Spoiler]

Everybody knows or is talking about Fez. Microsoft paid for its exlusivity on X360. Humble Bundle made it a huge success with its launch on PC, then Steam promoted it. Sony paid to have it on Playstation+. I'm pretty sure Apple is trying to bring it to the iPad seeing how they promoted an inspired game called Monument Valley...

But why do most people seem to either claim its genius or instead don't understand it's popularity?

Because Fez encompasses what games as an art is, and what an art piece is: it defies the standards of your average indie or AAA title, and goes way beyond new concept and pleasing aestethic: there's a completely occult sense behind it.

[SPOILER]

Fez, as the title indicates it, is inspired by occult circles like oriental Freemasonry and Kabbalah, inspired by Suffism. While Kabalah, as judaïsm mystic is originally a practice of words, numbers and systems, freemasonry a practice of symbols, philosophy and nature, Suffisim is born in Middle-East as the crossroad of these different occult circles during the golden age of Islam. An era during which all the money, work and prestige was put on science, art, ressearch, and some scholar started delving on the then forgotten Ancient Greek and Egyptian books, specifically that of Euclide, which is as much responsible as Hindu math for the muslims creating Algebra.

That's why some freemasons, kabbalist were a typically oriental hat, especially in Turkey, then called the Ottoman Empire which success to the Islamic and Persian Empires: a Fez. A Fez is a decoration in Suffism like toge are a grading ornement given on certain initiation.
This theme is also present in Monument Valley where you have probably noticed the islamic type or architecture.

That's because one of suffism great invention, before it was reaapropriated by kabbalist, was gematria: the sacred geometry.

[SPOILER BIS]

Fez is about a futuristic world (compared to that of human time), starting in a small and remote village where people with rectangle (understand small) heads believe that the world is in 2D, and cubes are an evil myth. Fez then get's illuminated by a Cube entity: Metatron. Metatron is in many religious and occult accounts, an angel who served as a scribe of God, holder of knowledge of the whole.

Fez then goes on a travel to discover the world: in his village, in the Mayor's mansion, you can see a hidden painting of him and several members with Fez, which is displayed like they belong to an hidden freemasson circle. In the classroom there is very limited research on some cryptic language.

- The first door you visit, turns out to be ancient, monolithic ruins with one dimensionnal inscription inside, recounting the visit from strange being in this world: this is the classical Nitzchean plot developed in Thus Spoke Zarathustra which inspired 2001 Space Odysee or Prometheus, no less: their world was visited by advanced alien antities which gaves them the possibility of evolution and development. YUP, this is what Fez is about, and nothing is obvious, but rather cryptic and only thos play until the end or have the minimum of curiosity will get it.

- The second city you visit, which makes you understand why it's set in the future, is a modern, abandonned, collapsed city where the Owl seem to be erected as model. The owl is typically a messenger but also a reported of human deeds and gods will. But when the messenger get's erected as a false idol or a god when it is only a messenger, that's when the message gets corrupted both ways and humanity collapses...

- The third city, aka "big head" city, is an advanced civilization in which people have accepted and explored the 3rd dimension, understand and speak the sacred language, and are searching for their creators. But it turns out you will be the only one to reach these creators in an ancient start gate situated under an hidden pyramid.

------------

There you go. This is WHAT Fez is about and why it is a masterpiece, and why Phil Fish is so delusional and pretentious. When you finished collecting cubes, the games becomes likes any cryptic piece of art with it's own hidden language and occult piece. Even the soundtrack countains hidden spectrographed images.

Around the Network

It was alright.

fez was amazing. so glad i finally got to play it when it launched on ps4. really hope fish is actually working on a sequel despite his public statement of cancelling the project,.. or at least something else.  i'd take a new IP from him as well.

kitler53 said:

fez was amazing. so glad i finally got to play it when it launched on ps4. really hope fish is actually working on a sequel despite his public statement of cancelling the project,.. or at least something else.  i'd take a new IP from him as well.

I think he won't. Judging by his latest tweets, he despises gamers and wants them to stop asking for Fez 2.

It was a great game that was made by cunt that fueled his cuntyness even more

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Fez being called a "game of the generation" speaks volumes about the lack of quality games this gen.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to teleport to the main central area without going through a bunch of stages for the end level teleport. Its annoying me

Mr_No said:
kitler53 said:

I think he won't. Judging by his latest tweets, he despises gamers and wants them to stop asking for Fez 2.

i mean, no he probably won't.    ..but i wish he would.   he made what will be one of the best games ever made and will be in (at least) the top 100 best games ever list for generations to come.   he might not want to make games anymore but i sure wish he would. 

Ehh.. Fez was a good indie game, but I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece".. This word is used for games like Resi 4 and Mario Galaxy!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

It was decent, nothing particularly special to me.