By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on Final Fantasy IX?

I loved how each continent played a part in the story and weren't just there to flesh out the game needlessly! I personally spend hours and hours on the chocobo and moogle side-quests as they were so addictive!! Damn you guys are making me want to replay this game again now

Around the Network
Squall_Leonhart said:
I loved how each continent played a part in the story and weren't just there to flesh out the game needlessly! I personally spend hours and hours on the chocobo and moogle side-quests as they were so addictive!! Damn you guys are making me want to replay this game again now

Do it! Come on, you won't regret it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

Like my gaming backlog isn't bad enough with sinking 100+ hours into FF IX again lol!!

Squall_Leonhart said:
AZWification said:

Like my gaming backlog isn't bad enough with sinking 100+ hours into FF IX again lol!!

The other games can wait! FFIX is more important!

I really need to go back and replay this game. When I played it I was much more into sci-fi than fantasy so it felt like a step back from the previous three games.

Nowadays I love fantasy settings as much as sci-fi so I think I'd appreciate it a lot more than I did back then. Dammit, way too much on my backlog!

Around the Network
AZWification said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
AZWification said:

I shall replay it once I have finished Persona 4 Golden and TLoU: Remastered

Squall_Leonhart said:
AZWification said:

Ok, then! Everything will be fine as long as you replay it!

AZWification said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
AZWification said:

Don't worry, I shall do

I liked FF IX a lot, but I had some problems with it.

The story is good, for the most part, with some strong character-building, but the third act really drags it down for me. The ending eventually redeemed it, but before that it can get pretty painful.

The gameplay, on the other hand, suffers from almost the opposite problem. The combat gets pretty good later on, but for the first half or so it's excruciating. The standard battle speed is far too slow, the inability to control the Trances makes them practically useless, and simple things, such as running away from battle, can sometimes be a huge hassle.

The skill system is actually pretty good. My only complaint is that it makes the equipment itself pretty secondary to the skills.

Overall, it's a decent game, and one which holds up pretty well, but a few choices brought the experience down for me. I'd rank it just below FF VII, and well above every other Final Fantasy I've played.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Squall_Leonhart said:
AZWification said:

Don't worry, I shall do

Very good then! I hope you don't disappoint me!