By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Publishing & Funding Tomb Raider, Similar to Dead Rising 3 Deal

JayWood2010 said:
Slade6alpha said:
JGarret said:

Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC maybe? 

Didn't other games get published by MS though, but then later go on to PS? 

Mass Effect is the only one i can think of and that took like 6 years or something like that.  Might be others, not sure

I suppose Minecraft aswell.

Around the Network

So it'll come to PC after their timed deal is over.

I don't give two fucks on whether it comes to PC or nah. I just want it on PS4.

Callum_Alexander said:

It amazes me how easily people fall for Microsoft's PR talk. The game is a timed exclusive and it is coming to PlayStation 4 and PC after "Holiday 2015", which means it could be released as soon as January 2016 for the other platforms. I'm not sure how Americans define "holiday". Is it Winter or is it just Christmas?

Dead Rising was used as an example as Ryse can no longer be seen as a "Microsoft exclusive" after Crytek's recent comments regarding the possibility of it coming to other platforms due to them owning the ip. I imagine the same could be said of Dead Rising, but Capcom haven't revealed any intention of taking the property elsewhere. Then "similar" was used instead of "same", with full knowledge that people would not bother to distinguish the difference between the two words. As an example, Sunset Overdrive is not the same as Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, however it could be said that they are similar. Microsoft's deal with Square is similar in that they are handing over a lot of money, but it is not the same as the game will not be exclusive to their platform for any meaningful period of time.

Phil Spencer has literally said this. I don't know why people on GAF are freaking out or why anyone here would be confused. He literally said the deal had a duration and they did not buy the IP.

Dead Rising 3 is the best game on Xbox One, good for MS.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

So it might not come to PS4 then? If MS is helping fund the game then I don't see how it could come to PS4.

The real issue isn't that MS gave them money for timed exclusivity, it's that MS deliberately gave the impression that it was completely exclusive to the XB1.

The PS5 Exists. 

they Partner with SE and cd to publish the game
so there is a Chance for tr to be on ps3/4. but i would not bet on it

pc is a save bet, imho

NobleTeam360 said:
So it might not come to PS4 then? If MS is helping fund the game then I don't see how it could come to PS4.

This is exactly what you are meant to think, and exactly what Microsoft wants you to think. They are funding the title, but in an extremely indirect way i.e. they are paying for an exclusivity period to keep the game off other platforms, meaning they have handed over "X" amount to Square Enix. The money they have paid Square will be used to fund the title and/or market it, but Microsoft are not actively funding the title, the decision to use the cash for this purpose is solely Square's. Microsoft have no rights beyond the timed exclusivity contract that they originally bought.

JGarret said:
Wait, I thought SE was publishing...all this story has been very confusing and it should be simple.Is it exclusive...timed exclusive?..console exclusive?..no one is giving a straight answer and only now the scenario seems to be more clear, so if MS is indeed publishing it, I guess that rules out a PS4 version.

You mean like how MS published Mass Effect and it never came to PS3? Oh wait it did come to PS3.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix