By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Industry Needs More and Better Ways to Make Money, Microsoft Says

MoHasanie said:
BeElite said:
Or make better products that by the virtue of not being mediocre sale better.

theirs always that.

Sony's games have the same problem too you know. 

Ka-pi96 said:

it seems we think alike. I'm quite surprised games don't already do this. Especially games with long loading times, or it could even be done during matchmaking in multiplayer!

Yeah. I'm surprised how slow the gaming industry has been to adapt. There's so much money to be made from these sorts of things. 

Remember these:

7up

McDonalds

http://treasurebin.blogspot.se/2012/03/five-video-games-that-were-marketing.html

It was even two good games, in Mick & Mack you could do cool sounds, almost as a song.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
bubblegamer said:
So more DLC, transactions or closed systems like how they wanted the X1 to be? Or kinda like mobile gaming with the freemium crap? No, Microsoft, Gaming is doing fine. We don't need you or the likes of you to fuck it up further. The whole online subscription model was also something they "invented'' thanks a bunch.

No it isn't. Development and marketing costs are very high now. Why do you think more studios are going out of business more than ever before? 

Developement costs are not as high as they were in the beginning of last gen and for every studio that goes out of business 2 are opening in it's place. The industry is bigger than ever.

can't really disagree with this,but it's pretty obvious.

Ka-pi96 said:
MoHasanie said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Product placement! Do it!

Micro transactions are bad, but I would have no problem using Pepsi's or something in games as healing item instead of generic stuff like 'potions'.

That's a great idea! They do it a little now but there is still potential for so much more. Another thing to do is to put adverts instead of loading screens. 

it seems we think alike. I'm quite surprised games don't already do this. Especially games with long loading times, or it could even be done during matchmaking in multiplayer!

http://kotaku.com/5328983/wipeout-hd-gets-loading-screen-ads-adds-user-fury And it was removed.

Stick it in free to play games sure, You don't know Jack: the net show already did this 18 years ago. Keep it out of full price games.

If they could just find a way to throw other popular things like TV and sports into the mix. They should also try to come up with some new innovative ways to play games, like without a controller or someting.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Holy shit. We aren't taking enough money directly out of the consumer's pockets. We need to think of more creative ways to charge more for the same games.

Hey guys here's a novel idea what if you don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars making shit, what if you instead spend tens of millions of dollars making good games, I bet you'll make back your investment pretty fast.

Just goes to show MS has no feeling for this industry, they just don't get it.

Maybe publishers should not employ so many full time staff and work more on a contract basis, while I know it's been done before and rarely works well. What I have not seen so often is a publisher have it's own creative director oversee an independent development studio, like Nintendo are doing with smash bro's. This to me should be the norm.

Posting ad in dashboard?

Sports games are perfect for ads, especially if you can stream them. Hey, you'll want to recreate the feel of the actual game, so why not take it up a notch?

Or, you can do what certain Japanese companies do and license your IPs for quality toys, comics/manga and you know, actual shows?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3