By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2014 NPD Thread! PS4: 187k, XBO: 131k, Wii U: 81k

TheSource said:

So...that quote about X1 & PS4 being up 80% compared to X360 & PS3 in their first 9 months? Based on X1 and PS4 totals in months 1-8, and X360 & PS3 totals in months 1-9, we can say that PS4 & X1 combined to sell around 338,000 in July 2014, which is down from June in line with the transition from a five week month to a four week month. 

My guess: PS4 - 213,000

X1 - 125,000

Even if you don't agree with him, you have to admit that he is a good writer. Plus, he uses alot of numbers/facts which I like a lot. 

I realy miss your articles on the Home page.

Around the Network
Aerys said:
83k for Wii U is good no ? Near from X1 in US ! It could really sell more with Europe and Japan

It's "good" in a way that earning $10,000 annual salary is good ... if you only earned $5000 the previous year. 

You're still poor as hell though, lol. 

This year honestly is kind of more disheartening. At least last year you could say "well there's no games!" and that was literally true, the Wii U had NSMBU, Zombi U, and Nintendo Land in Nov 2012 and then literally nothing but LEGO City until Pikmin 3 the following August. 

But this year it has Mario 3D World, Zelda: WWHD, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, a better/cheap bundle, DKC: TF, AND Mario Kart 8 and the baseline looks like its headed back down to a mediocre 65-70k for a normal month (way below the GameCube). 

It's sad to say, but I think it's pretty much over for the Wii U. It'll get its token bounce from Smash and then ride off to its deathbed as 2015 goes along. A shame because at E3 2014 I finally saw some fight from Nintendo and some legit good games like Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon are likely to sell nowhere what they deserve. 

gooch_destroyer said:
PS4 wins; PSV loses(Again)

Stop hating, bro

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Soundwave said:
Aerys said:
83k for Wii U is good no ? Near from X1 in US ! It could really sell more with Europe and Japan

It's "good" in a way that earning $10,000 annual salary is good ... if you only earned $5000 the previous year. 

You're still poor as hell though, lol. 

This year honestly is kind of more disheartening. At least last year you could say "well there's no games!" and that was literally true, the Wii U had NSMBU, Zombi U, and Nintendo Land in Nov 2012 and then literally nothing but LEGO City until Pikmin 3 the following August. 

But this year it has Mario 3D World, Zelda: WWHD, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, a better/cheap bundle, DKC: TF, AND Mario Kart 8 and the baseline looks like its headed back down to a mediocre 65-70k for a normal month (way below the GameCube). 

It's sad to say, but I think it's pretty much over for the Wii U. It'll get its token bounce from Smash and then ride off to its deathbed as 2015 goes along. A shame because at E3 2014 I finally saw some fight from Nintendo and some legit good games like Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon are likely to sell nowhere what they deserve. 

PREDICTION: In 2015 Wii U will sell always more than 100K for NPD.

DonFerrari said:
steverhcp02 said:
DonFerrari said:
steverhcp02 said:

But it is a fact that it did. One game sold so much that it inflated the sales of a single console. This can't be ignored when youre talking about comparing software sales across multiple consoles. The fact it is a single title, remaster is irrelavent to the discussion. One title vastly sold a lot of copies and is only on one console, it will skew the numbers for the month dramatically. that is all. I don't understand what is being argued here.

What is being argued is that TLOUR didn't sold by itself the same as Mk8 and all other SKU in MS and Ninty portfolio... it probably weighted for like 10% of sales, maybe 20%.. but that doesn't make all others dwarves or Sony 50% marketshare in SW irrelevant.

So you agree. But I imagine everyone arguing with me is somehow offended I didnt do a dance and taunt people passive aggressively or something? I never used the word irrelevent either. Why does every discussion have to be this dramatic all-or-nothing with us or against us battle here?

I didn't take any offense... and I agree with you that the month is slow? Yes, but that is no reason to discredit 50% marketshare... but yes you don't need to parade.

I'm not discrediting it. I'm rationally observing it. VGC has most likely, as evidenced by the 10 million sold, undertracked hardware for PS4 comparatively for WiiU and One. PS4 has probably sold 50% hardware wise this month when combined, again, with a boost most likely due to TLOU:R. This months 50% software is right in line with that. Its damned impressive all around but again, in line with hardware for the month combined with TLOU:R.

I mean it is what it is. The user I originally quoted was trying to bait people in a nonconstructive way regarding the software sales. 

July is most likely 2:1 PS4 to WiiU and One or close to it.

So you add a single big release to July to elevate software combined with hardware domination.

TLOU:R sold roughly 300k in July according to VGC compared to 150k for both WiiU and One games the final week. Which means over the previous 3 weeks the PS4 simply had to sell 50k less software than the two other consoles combined to make TLOU:R single handidly cause the 50% software shift. This is not even considering for the month of July the PS4 most likely sold 2:1 comparatively (more impressive than the software, imo). Again, impressive but to act like its routine, normal, or the new norm is absurd. Which is what my comment originally was pointing out. It is a slow month and the PS4 received the only boost of the month in terms of both software and hardware to go along with already beastly sales.

Around the Network
drake_tolu said:

What does it have for summer?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Considering how well TLOU:R has sold, what other games do you want to see remade? I know GTAV will do well also.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Uncharted Trilogy, Skyrim+Oblivion, Fallout 3+NV, Demon's/Dark Souls 1+ 2, RDR, Gears Trilogy. Maybe even ME Trilogy as well.

NewGuy said:
Considering how well TLOU:R has sold, what other games do you want to see remade? I know GTAV will do well also.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Uncharted Trilogy, Skyrim+Oblivion, Fallout 3+NV, Demon's/Dark Souls 1+ 2, RDR, Gears Trilogy. Maybe even ME Trilogy as well.

I'de like a Souls Collection. And Sony would probably be smart to do a God Of War and Uncharted Collection as they would sell well. These numbers will encourage some developers, but not every remaster will sell well.

vivster said:
drake_tolu said:

I don't know, but Wii U sell more than 20,000 now in USA.

Probabily next year will increase by other 5,000 if not more, and 25,000x4= always more than 100K!

vivster said:
drake_tolu said:

well theres rumors of xenoblade x and splatoon for summer :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3