By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Polygon: Tomb Raider's Xbox exclusivity likely means more sales, higher profits

MoHasanie said:
DonFerrari said:

Well the points are okay (but since they don't know what happened it is pure speculation). But looking at X1 userbase and how much crossgen are selling on older gen and how much of the total was on ms platforms I disagree with you. For Square to lose about 1+M in sales (they certainly won't hit the same sales of the previous title) then the check will need to be substancial. I actually think that anything bellow 100M deal would probably harm the bottomline of SE.

We'll never know how much MS paid them. MS will probably market the game heavily though like they do with every exclusive so that will save SE a lot of money. I doubt MS paid them $100m though since its just timed, so maybe you're right about it being a bad deal for SE. 

The 100M I said isn't about money changing hands. But all the points of the article... Smaller royalty fee, marketing, ms engineers, money to develope, etc. Because there isn't only the lost sales for this game but also some image tarnishing that could damper sequels or even other games from SE. Fanboys can be bitter.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Seriously, how many people, this early in a generation, owns BOTH the XBone AND the PS4?! It has to be a small percent, and keep in mind that with a total sale of 15m units between both systems... that's not a lot of people. I mean, they have almost exactly the same games on them, their BIG exclusive titles haven't hit the stores yet.

Polygon is trying to sell this deal to us through a thin coat of "logic". That's a BS article. Stupid as fuck

Stupid as fuck is an understatement. i mean when articles are that mindless you really have to start wondering about the site that puts them up and what their real motices are. There are just so many obvious things wrong with that article and I didnt even read all of it.

Whats funny is that at no point did the site point out the obvious. Tomb raider has always sold better on sony platforms and more importantly, right now the PS4 has a 2:1 global lead on the XB1 long before even going into the holiday season. By the time this game is out, if the PS4 keeps itslead, we could have over  25M PS4s to the XB1s 14M. 

I mean the best explanation, and I doubt no one will fault it; is that it makes no sense for TR to release around the same month with Uncharted 4. So a delay on PS4 will do them some good. Thats all polygon had to say but they give this Bs article and somehow suggest that 50% of all gamers have both consoles???????!! That basically means that everyone that owns an XB1 right now also ons a PS4 lol.

Intrinsic said:
DanneSandin said:
Seriously, how many people, this early in a generation, owns BOTH the XBone AND the PS4?! It has to be a small percent, and keep in mind that with a total sale of 15m units between both systems... that's not a lot of people. I mean, they have almost exactly the same games on them, their BIG exclusive titles haven't hit the stores yet.

Polygon is trying to sell this deal to us through a thin coat of "logic". That's a BS article. Stupid as fuck

Stupid as fuck is an understatement. i mean when articles are that mindless you really have to start wondering about the site that puts them up and what their real motices are. There are just so many obvious things wrong with that article and I didnt even read all of it.

Whats funny is that at no point did the site point out the obvious. Tomb raider has always sold better on sony platforms and more importantly, right now the PS4 has a 2:1 global lead on the XB1 long before even going into the holiday season. By the time this game is out, if the PS4 keeps itslead, we could have over  25M PS4s to the XB1s 14M. 

I mean the best explanation, and I doubt no one will fault it; is that it makes no sense for TR to release around the same month with Uncharted 4. So a delay on PS4 will do them some good. Thats all polygon had to say but they give this Bs article and somehow suggest that 50% of all gamers have both consoles???????!! That basically means that everyone that owns an XB1 right now also ons a PS4 lol.

While I think the article brings up some good points (SE wants PROFIT, not units sold, although more often than not that's the same thing) but it comes across as a despicable defensive article that no one should be taking it seriously. Who the fuck wrote this and who the fuck thought it was a good idea to publish it? If I was the one responsible I would have re-written it, so that it didn't sound like ass licking

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I think I understand what the author is trying to say, but did so poorly honestly. Also the articles of late targeting a player base is ridiculous and very unprofessional. Personally, I couldn't care less about tomb raider. That being said MS promoting the game will increase sales on that system rather than no deal and the game not being pushed in PR for that console. Marketing should increase sales(derrr).... However, they are obviously cutting out at least 5 million potential customers. Sure they aren't cutting out the whole 10 million, but what is the percent that actually have both at this point? I'd wager less than 25% of ps4 owners have an xbox one currently

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Ninsect said:
Let's assume a market of 100 people, because the math is easy. Maybe 25 people will only own the Xbox One. Maybe 25 people will only own the PS4. It's also very possible that 50 of those people own both consoles. "So it's not that they're cutting off half their market; they may only be cutting off 25 percent," Zatkin said.

There are no words..

I would be curious to actual data, but my sense is owning multiple systems is very rare early on and becomes more common toward the end of a generation when price drops and libraries make it easier to justify.

No, onto his data the major issue with these numbers is the X1 and PS4 are not selling 1:1, it is actually closer to 2:1 for the PS4.  So, of 100 owners of the systems, 66 own a PS4 and 34 own an X1.  As to the overlap I'd be very surprised if 25% right now own both.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Here's what's hard for gaming fans to do: We need to stop looking at these deals purely through the lens of someone who wants to play the game. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics are companies that pay its employees and stay in business by making profits on video games. They don't necessarily think about success as units sold. They have to think of it in terms of profit.

I stopped reading there...... 

So they are basically telling "gamers" to stop thinking about the games.... or of the games that are basically made for them and we should instead think about how much profit the publishers want to make? Like are the fucking serious?

I really want to know if they actually believe the nonsense they ae saying. MS has a timed exclusive, its a stupid idea considering how well the PS4 is selling now and that the PS4 could very well be over 22M sold to the XB1's 12M by the time this game gets released. They should just let it rest and lets move on... this kinda PR spinning is simply insulting to say the least.

You need to appreciate that gaming "journalists" are hired by publishers to sell games, rather than hired by gamers to review and recommend games. Gamers don't pay the rent, so Polygon sees the industry through the lens of the guy who pays the bills.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Absolutely fucking idiotic. Although, Polygon got to Polygon.

The difference between this article and the entire "Mario Kart 1.2 Million because userbase!" thing just highlights exactly what is wrong with that website. Horrible place.

The math, it burns! Seriously though, how is it even going to be possible to sell more than Tomb Raider 2013 (~5 million in its first year) on the XBOne?

a little off topic but didnt microsoft pay rockstar $50 million for timed exclusive GTA4 DLC. so if they paid $50 million just for timed dlc, i think they probably paid more for an entire game.

so although this will crush the sales of the game, it will likely still make more money because of this deal. but just speculation, this may harm the longterm outlook of this franchise, making it less popular and profitable in the long run.