By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spencer confirms: Tomb Raider deal "has a duration" (also cross gen)

I like this guy, he's a great head for Xbox.

As for the game, I'm still probably not going to get it, but it is good news for fans of the series.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Interesting to see what he means by that. He was ambiguous in his discussion of the franchise. Will the franchise come back to other platforms...or will this game come to other platforms.

The deal has a duration. Unless you expect the deal to last for ~2 years or more, the game will release on PS4 and PC

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Good, i'll buy it used.

Not surprising at all and I called it as soon as it was announced

KylieDog said:
Fusioncode said:
This why I like you Phil. No PR bullshit, just straight answers.

There is nothing straight about his wording.

Agreed, its funny that people are ok with it because they think it validates their assumptions. Hes still danced around the question at hand as far as Im concerned, this "duration" could be multiple games for all hes said.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Interesting but what makes me wonder now is 'Why bother?' Unless it is a SE decision because of Uncharted. PS4 gamers will be buying Uncharted not this Tomb Raider but just after Christmas they may be done with Uncahrted so release TR and boom, more money. And MS are the one's paying for this.

Well done, SquEnix, well done.

I am glad im not the only who realized this.  It is actually a really smart move to keep the games from getting overshadowed on PS by Uncharted,  and MS is paying the tab.  From a business standpoint it is a win, win, win.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

you guys do know MS isn't obligated to tell you details about the deal between them and Square with you right? It's for a limited duration that's all you really need to know.

Blob said:
KylieDog said:
Fusioncode said:
This why I like you Phil. No PR bullshit, just straight answers.

There is nothing straight about his wording.

Agreed, its funny that people are ok with it because they think it validates their assumptions. Hes still danced around the question at hand as far as Im concerned, this "duration" could be multiple games for all hes said.

Why would he disclose duration.  Just because people want something doesn't mean its smart.  Hell, Phil wants to beat the PS4 doesn't mean its going to happen.  He doesn't dance around the duration he stated he isn't going to disclose that information because its part of the business deal.  For MS, it would be absolutly stupid to disclose such business details.  There is absolutly nothing MS wold gain in releasing that information and if he was dumb enough to give it, I would think the Xbox division really is in trouble.  

Sounds good to me, at least the whiners can now get the game 6-12 months later...

For those who would have actually been interested in the game, they will get it when its available on XB1 if it really mattered to them. If they don't, they can get it later on whatever platform.

Problem solved...

It is near the end of the end....

KylieDog said:
""When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have.""

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes."

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and them. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Very wormy guy, he in no way implies RotTR will be on anything but Xbox, when he talks of other platforms he refers to the franchise or the IP.

Interesting enough, I also noticed the same thing in his statement.  Phil never states that this Tomb Raidar will ever see the light of day on any other console besides MS.  There is nothing wormy about what he says. Phil clearly states he has no control of the IP or the franchase and what CD or SE will do with it.  He only have control on the deal for this game which is very clear from his words.  

The crazy part is that this Tomb Raider might not come to PC or PS4 which would be kind of funny in a lot of ways based on some huge threads here and other places.