By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - All this publicity could be great for Rise of the Tomb Raider

It will get a boost on the XO in comparison to the XO sales if it was multiplat, but the boost won't even come close to what it would sell on PS4. All in all, it will do better on XO, but won't do better than it would if it was multiplat. PS4 is too much of a monster to get away ignoring it.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
leyendax69 said:
VanceIX said:

It actually depends. If Microsoft is paying for the development, publishing, and advertisement of the game SE might actually be seeing more money than they would if it were multiplatform. You can't underestimate the juggernaut that is Microsoft's advertising reach. It actually helped make Titanfall (a mediocre game by most standards) a decently big success. 

That's true I'm probably underestimating Microsoft, but more than the game or Crystal Dinamics I am afraid for Square Enix's future

Oh I agree. SE is in major trouble right now in the console scene. Thief flopped hard, and Tomb Raider reboot was only a moderate success. They are going to need KH3 and FFXV to be massive hits, but both titles are potentially years away...

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Avro1958 said:
How did the publicity around the XB1 reveal help MS? Pretty sure bad publicity is bad publicity sometimes. Square Enix is making terrible decisions lately and are a shadow of there former self.

The XB1 did pretty damn well the first few weeks after it was released, actually. It dipped after that though, for a myriad of issues (Kinect, price-point, etc) that would have been there regardless of publicity.

The thing about that is, MOST products will do very well during the initial launch. The PS4 did very well during the initial launch in Japan, before sales dropped off a cliff; the original Kinect did very well (something about the fastest selling consumer something or other,) buuuut apparently not well enough for Microsoft to feel comfortable initially making its successor optional. I think even the PS3 did pretty well during its initial launch. When you have an install base for the prior generation in the tens of millions, you're pretty much guaranteed to sell like hotcakes at first, especially during the busiest time of the year. (Keep in mind, this was released during the holiday season.) The most enthusiastic and dedicated people will be all aboard early on, ready to get on with the new generation.

Sustainability, on the other hand, is something else entirely. Consider the post-June dropping of the Kinect. If price and Kinect had been the sole reasons holding the Xbox One back, then there should have been people lined up from Day One (new Day One, rather) to purchase it. Instead, for a five-week NPD, it didn't do that well objectively. (Sure, it more than doubled May's sales, but those sales were in the toooilet. x.x Meanwhile, the PS4 is basically blasting along despite having, many would argue, a comparatively weak lineup.)

That's PR. That's a comparatively stellar reputation trumping pretty much everything else. Especially in gaming, which is filled with people who closely monitor the industry, like you or I, and people who RELY on said people (be they friends or family,) for information down the road, the last thing any game, any company, wants to hear is "So and so REALLY sucks balls, Goddamnit complete tripe, they can go to hell..." Indie games that have tried, for example, Content ID blocks on negative reviews have OFTEN found their sales tanking shortly after, because while there might be come buying it 'Out Of Curiosity,' many more won't even bother, especially when they can just Youtube footage. =P

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

We'll talk when Square Enix axes the franchise.

Raziel123 said:

If you say so.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
leyendax69 said:

I don't think the average consumer will jump into Xbox One for this game, at least won't be something really noticeable, it will get almost the same as if it were on PS4  too. What do you mean by better than expected? expected by who?

Unless everyone has the same opinion then that question can't really be answered.

Raziel123 said:

By axe off do you mean sell it? I hope MS buys it

I just realised... SE put TR on PS+ so fast to allow as many PlayStation gamers as possible to try it out and hopefully get interested in the franchise. That was a decent investment, considering they did it before the PS4/XO versions came out and it could have somewhat hurt these sales. Now, after making that investment they are ignoring the PS gamers and putting the next TR on XO, when we know for a fact that a PS3 -> XO gamer transfer in pretty much non existant. Good job SE, good job. Nothing like a smart, long-term policy!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

It'll definitely move some consoles. The first game had a lot of fans.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

VanceIX said:

There's a saying that goes all publicity is good publicity. There is no such thing as bad.

I honestly think that the amount of publicity raised because of the exclucitivity will only help TR sales. People will wonder why there was such a big reaction over one game, and will purchase it to see. The game will then do better than expected. 

The backlash may actually help the game succeed in the long run

Outside of core gamers barely anyone will know or care...it will struggle to sell 1 million on x1, get overshadowed by uncharted and be on ps4 in 6 months after max.