By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - All this publicity could be great for Rise of the Tomb Raider

Being an exclusive will help the game as well. Tomb Raider won't sell as well as it would if it's multiconsole, but people are more likely to give an exclusive a benefit of the doubt they wouldn't otherwise have given it, especially with it being advertised and published by the console manufacturer.  It won't do as poorly as some think.

Around the Network

The backlash isn't going to move Xbox consoles, so I don't see how it'll help.

wary-wallaroo said:
The backlash isn't going to move Xbox consoles, so I don't see how it'll help.

I never said it was going to be good for the console. It'll be great for the game. People who already own the console will probably be much more interested in it now.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

How did the publicity around the XB1 reveal help MS? Pretty sure bad publicity is bad publicity sometimes. Square Enix is making terrible decisions lately and are a shadow of there former self.

VanceIX said:

There's a saying that goes all publicity is good publicity. There is no such thing as bad.

People who say it usually don't know what they're talking about. You know which game got a lot of (bad) publicity?

Lair.

Wanna know another one?

Wonderbook.

How about a third one?

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal.

Do you see a pattern here? All big games with bad publicity. Usually the saying makes sense when it's someone that no ones has heard of like Rebecca Black and "Friday", not like Lady Gaga and "Artpop". It can also work with movies like Sharknado.

So, no. It most certainly won't be good for TR's sales. But let's wait and see and feel free to quote me when it sells well enough to be considered a commercial success.

Around the Network

Hopefully it's great like the last one

VanceIX said:

I don't mean it'll be good for the Xbox One, I mean it'll be good for the game. Existing owners of the Xbox One will probably be much more interested in it now that it isn't just another multiplat. The publicity will help people learn about the game.

And better than expected by a lot of the people who are determined that the game will crash and burn due to being exclusive. 

Yes you are right, exclusivity is a big plus but again, I don't think will be that big of a difference if the game were on PS3/4/360 etc. I'm not one of those who want it to flop tbh but still think is a stab in the back for playstation fans by Square's part.

More than that, is a stupid decision since I'm pretty sure they would make more money being multiplatform an this just benefit them in the short-term.  But oh well, while I have my fucking kh3 on ps4 I don't care :^)

Avro1958 said:
How did the publicity around the XB1 reveal help MS? Pretty sure bad publicity is bad publicity sometimes. Square Enix is making terrible decisions lately and are a shadow of there former self.

The XB1 did pretty damn well the first few weeks after it was released, actually. It dipped after that though, for a myriad of issues (Kinect, price-point, etc) that would have been there regardless of publicity.

leyendax69 said:
VanceIX said:

I don't mean it'll be good for the Xbox One, I mean it'll be good for the game. Existing owners of the Xbox One will probably be much more interested in it now that it isn't just another multiplat. The publicity will help people learn about the game.

And better than expected by a lot of the people who are determined that the game will crash and burn due to being exclusive. 

Yes you are right, exclusivity is a big plus but again, I don't think will be that big of a difference if the game were on PS3/4/360 etc. I'm not one of those who want it to flop tbh but still think is a stab in the back for playstation fans by Square's part.

More than that, is a stupid decision since I'm pretty sure they would make more money being multiplatform an this just benefit them in the short-term.  But oh well, while I have my fucking kh3 on ps4 I don't care :^)

It actually depends. If Microsoft is paying for the development, publishing, and advertisement of the game SE might actually be seeing more money than they would if it were multiplatform. You can't underestimate the juggernaut that is Microsoft's advertising reach. It actually helped make Titanfall (a mediocre game by most standards) a decently big success. 

VanceIX said:

It actually depends. If Microsoft is paying for the development, publishing, and advertisement of the game SE might actually be seeing more money than they would if it were multiplatform. You can't underestimate the juggernaut that is Microsoft's advertising reach. It actually helped make Titanfall (a mediocre game by most standards) a decently big success. 

That's true I'm probably underestimating Microsoft, but more than the game or Crystal Dinamics I am afraid for Square Enix's future