By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider Timed Exclusive for Xbox

I am extremely disappointed in this, as I've always been a massive TR fan and also really liked the reboot. Wasn't planning on getting the One until it was much cheaper, don't know what to do now!

Around the Network
sully1311 said:

I don't think you realise how many people only buy/have enough money for one console

I don't think you realise I've spent a whole generation with only one console. Having to rely on my mom's Wii or my friend's Ps3s to play some exclusives. But I did.

Heck, I even own Yakuza 4 and I don't even have a Ps3.

I want to purchase a Ps3, but I just don't have the money, nor the space to put it in my room.

Maybe I'm just a patient man.

walsufnir said:
It's funny to read here, especially when I remember the time the TR reboot was revealed people (not generalizing but many from Sony side did it) hated on it, looking like Uncharted and uninspired. When it was released many of these people said it was ok but nothing ground breaking and where criticizing it for not being their beloved TR anymore.
Now it is moving on to another platform where a lot of people (including me, having played 1-4 of the old TRs) liked it the way it is.
Sometimes it seems people just search for opportunities to hate on MS. This topic will stay for weeks, months and the moneyhatting itself for years. I guess this will be the top spot on N4G for days to come.

You're generalising. I liked TR 2013 a lot more than any of the Uncharted games. Pretty sure i already said that at least once here in vgchartz

Though i played it on PC first and would do the same with this one

walsufnir said:
Ninsect said:
walsufnir said:
It's funny to read here, especially when I remember the time the TR reboot was revealed people (not generalizing but many from Sony side did it) hated on it, looking like Uncharted and uninspired. When it was released many of these people said it was ok but nothing ground breaking and where criticizing it for not being their beloved TR anymore.
Now it is moving on to another platform where a lot of people (including me, having played 1-4 of the old TRs) liked it the way it is.
Sometimes it seems people just search for opportunities to hate on MS. This topic will stay for weeks, months and the moneyhatting itself for years. I guess this will be the top spot on N4G for days to come.

I don't see how you can even defend this (well, I can because I know you). It's a shit move that deserves the shit it's getting thrown back at it.

You  don't know me as I don't know you and it's better this way. I am not defending it in any way as I hate any moneyhatting - this includes Sony as well. I don't know why you are slightly attacking me but usually people get personal if they don't have any good arguments left...

What huge AAA 3rd party games have Sony moneyhatted?

Cannot wait for the Definitive version comin 2016! :)

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network

Microsoft must have paid a mint for this. They are really not messing around this time. That is encouraging. it shows they are dedicated to gaming but it shouldn't be for a title like this. Don't just buy exclusive rights to existing series. Create new ones. That is what I like about Sony, they create brand new IPs as exclusives, MS would rather take a short cut and buy out exclusives that are already well established because they don't like risking failure. Really unfair to the people who played the first one on PS systems.

walsufnir said:
Ninsect said:
walsufnir said:

I don't see how you can even defend this (well, I can because I know you). It's a shit move that deserves the shit it's getting thrown back at it.

You  don't know me as I don't know you and it's better this way. I am not defending it in any way as I hate any moneyhatting - this includes Sony as well. I don't know why you are slightly attacking me but usually people get personal if they don't have any good arguments left...

Oh but I do know you, and you know me.

You didn't respond to my arguments. Pretty much the whole internet is against this with a few console warriors defending a cancellation of Playstation and PC versions. They are doing you absolutely ZERO favors by cancelling those versions and yet here you are seemingly happy with the decision.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

kitler53 said:
Wright said:

I don't see why people get salty with this. Just get an Xbox One and you're all set guys :)

no.  just no.  i will not reward assholery.   i was considering a second console for the living room eventually to replace my ps3.  i mostly use that for netflix but the ps3's OS is soo slow i'd like to upgrade to something better at some point.  any chance that i would have gotten an xbox died today. 

Was still wondering for buy Xbox one down on road, but i can say i am with you and wont buy ever, and i can even say i won't buy anymore m$ product if i can avoid this and Square Enix too, i just cancelled temple of osiris HS game from them.

wolfofthepack said:
teigaga said:
As much as I feel like this is especially bad practice, the game wont flop like some are saying (I think 2.5m in 2015) and it should sell quite a lot of Xbox Ones alongside Halo 5 next holiday.

They could have sold a lot more on PS4 though

u really think it will do 2.5m when on the xbox 360 with a much LARGER user bases didnt do those numbers ?

Yep! Cant directly comapre the two as the scenarios are completely different, but just a few things I took into consideration...

Larger user base doesnt equate to more active userbase. Check Xbox One vs 360 sales of Titanfall, Watchdogs, Theif etc. End of gen software sales are negatively effected by a saturated market and user fatigue. Also exclusives automatically recieve more attention of owners of that respective console in my experience, so new Tomb raider will recieve more attention on XO then Origins it did on 360. When its released in the same season as Halo it will benefit off that hype, I imagine a fair amount of people would probably pick it up as a secondary game (I know I would!), they are different enough to not cannabalise each others sales. The fact that its an exclusive means it will probably be heavily bundled which too will help.

I just think people are niave if they think all the casual Tomb Raider fans are automatically gonna pass up on this game simply because its exclusive to Xbox One. People think the masses have the same bias that we do on here, but they do not. Its the beginning of the gen, the vast majority of people have not yet upgraded to either system and stuff like this will be hugely influential. The masses will go to where the games they want are, history has proven this. So it will inevitably steal some of sales that would have otherwise been given to the PS4. Not neccessarily a ton, but enough to make a noticable difference.

That's my problem with Microsoft in general right now. Halo was awesome, but has had diminishing returns with each additional title in the series, and they're still banking on that as their main franchise. The same goes for Gears of War, awesome originally, played out now.

So they get exclusive rights to a franchise that is 10 deep, that is very much their style. I have to assume Microsoft paid a lot, since if this is 100% exclusive, they just bought an entire franchise and future titles.