By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why you should support the Wii U this generation.

Nintendo has to earn my support and just offering free online won't cut it for that. I mean what good is it that I would theoretically not have to pay for online on the Wii U, if at the same time I would also have no access to any of the games I want to play online?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
burninmylight said:

Also, ads are inconvenience on 360. Even with an Xbox Live paid membership, ads clutter the display, and make finding your games and apps harder to get to. Why shouldn't MS be more like Nintendo and have an ad-free OS, especially since you're already paying for its services? Why can't I use a third party HDD as well?

Vita memory cards are proprietary. Why isn't it more convenient like the 3DS, where you can use an SD card from any manufacturer? That would be so much less of a hassle. And why are there mandatory game installs on PS3 and PS4? If I don't want to purchase extra storage space or want to jump straight into a game, that is such a pain.

All very good points. While I don't really mind the mandatory installs, they are so quick you barely even notice on PS4, I can agree with everything else you said there.

Well what about the fact tha-

Hold on, what? Someone on the Internet agreeing with me and acknowledging that I may have a point?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT YOU'RE TRYING TO PULL HERE?

burninmylight said:
oniyide said:

yes it is a fact, because every other console right now. Xbone not withstanding is doing better than WIi U. So that right there tells you people dont really mind paying a fee. So way to miss the point. If it was a big as a deal as you are making it out to be and the OP is PS4 and Xbone would not have had better sales in their first year than Wii U did, so explain that away.

As for the rest I have a 3ds, will get a Wii u, but lets use some common sense. The OP saying support the Wii U meaning dont get the other consoles because they charge for online. Isnt that the point of the thread? Cause if i buy ps4 or xone anyway it defeats the ops purpose. I am getting 4 and U eventually myself.

That's a roundabout way of saying only the PS4 is doing better than the Wii U in terms of home consoles, which kinda doesn't prove a whole lot. Add the 3DS if you include handhelds. And that has free online services too.

its not a round about way. Im SAYING PS4 is doing better than Wii U in terms of consoles (and in some weeks even 3ds). What doesnt it prove? if having to pay for online was such a big deal like the OP wants to believe it is. PS4 wouldnt be doing anywhere near as well as it is. Certainly wouldnt be number 1 and Wii U would be doing much better. 3ds? its a portable. why are we coming it to a home console?

Fact is the market has spoken, people will pay for something they see value in. Thats the way its always been. 

Mr.Playstation with a Halo display picture telling us to support Wii U. You must share the console love!
On a serious note: I'd have a problem with PS Plus if I didn't have a PS3 and PS Vita to make use of the free games since the PS4 offerings aren't really that great atm (but that's expected)

burninmylight said:
Ka-pi96 said:
burninmylight said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That's..... not really much different. Don't you have to like phone Nintendo up to get your account switched to a different console? That isn't the kind of things that should be needed in the present.

No, you don't.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8983/p/431

That's not all that good still. One of the most important reasons to transfer an accound is if something goes wrong with your console. If my PS or Xbox goes wrong I just type in my password on a new one and redownload stuff easily. If my Wii U goes wrong then what? Yeah I know Nintendo consoles are incredibly reliable and it probably won't happen, but what if?

Then you acquire a new one, spend a few minutes of your precious time on the phone with an agent, get your NNID on your new system and download your games. Unless you're The Donald, where every minute of your time is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and shifts the stock market, I don't think that's asking too much.

EDIT: I don't mean to come across as brash toward you specifically. I'm just tired of everyone who either doesn't own a Nintendo console or hasn't dealt with Nintendo customer service claiming your games are lost if the system is broken or stolen, or acting like dealing with customer service is trying to find a cure for cancer. It could be more convenient, but not nearly as bad as 90 percent of the Internet is making it out to be.

maybe those complaining should try playing there xbox live marketplace games on their new shiney xbox one system since there so happy it's tied to the account.....

The PS4/ps3 isn't much better but Vita(it's Sony's handheld system if your not familiar with it) helps to bridge the infrustrucer.      

Around the Network

Support Wii U because of no online restrictions? Why? Its online services are horrible in comparison to the competition. Very limited third party support for multiplayer games. No games with gold or ps+. XBO and PS4 will continue to progress as the gen goes on. Wii U will basically never change and just play the new games that come out for it.

Squeezol said:
I agree that people should support the Wii U (duh) but if I have to be honest I don't think a free online gaming future is anywhere near possible at this point.

Nintendo Are giving you the free online gaming future (doh)

Good point, but perhaps Nintendo is simply a generation behind in charging for online service.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Mr.Playstation said:

Online gaming on consoles started way back in the sixth gen, were all four consoles (Xbox,ps2,gamecube and dreamcast) could allow a player to somewhat play games online. We all know how this gen ended, Ps2 dominated and the dreamcast and sega were never heard of after. During this gen Xbox released Xbox live which you needed to have to play online games but due to the lack of a huge marketshare which the xbox did not have, this type of online gaming  was not used by sony and nintendo on their next gen consoles.

During the seventh generation Wii was the best selling console, meanwhile the xbox 360 and ps3 at the end of the gen were at a parity. Due to a much higher marketshare which the xbox had and because  Microsoft made alot of $$$ not because of the amount of software or units sold but because of their online service ,which costed around $59.99 per year, Sony took notice.

Now at the preasent the ps4 and Xbox one both need a yearly/monthly subscription if one wants to play online games, meanwhile the wii u ,due to nintendo thinking that since they sold the most consoles last gen they were on the right track, does not require one to pay to play online.

After all of this I am here to tell you to support the wii u this gen for an free online gaming future. Please see that if you keep your console online playable for 6 years you will have spent around 300 dollars on the ps4 and 360 dollars on the xbox one excluding buying games and so on.

Please support the wii U for a no subscription online gaming future! 

I support Nintendo since I have a Wii U, but I don't like their online... so that is not the online gaming future to support.  It's like supporting the ghost of online gaming's past.

My 8th gen collection

Squeezol said:
I agree that people should support the Wii U (duh) but if I have to be honest I don't think a free online gaming future is anywhere near possible at this point.

It is completely possible. Developers and publishers just need to stop removing player hosted servers.

I can host my own server on all old PC games and still on alot of modern games. And if the devs want control over the player and remove that  then the modding community can fix that and you can still play on your own servers.

There is NO need at all for official ONLY servers. 

Proof that XBLG and PS+ are a ripoff is the simple fact that you cannot play a game with friends only for free. Keep the fee for people that want ranked games or people that play in tournaments and let everyone else play for free.

But because they want to control the consumers want to gather user statistics  want to make you move to the next installment of a series when they shut down the servers of the old one and obviously want to make money they removed the ability for players to host servers.
If you could play with your friends for free then Sony and MS would at least have a 75% drop in users that pay a fee.

My 360 was offline only and will always be. My PS4 will also be offline only. I will never pay an arbitrary fee that serves no purpose whatsoever.