By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony readying new PS4 SKU with 1TB storage for this Fall

arcane_chaos said:
Should've been 1TB to begin with, I hope Sony follows Nintendo's and enable external harddrive storage...I only got 58GB left

Yeah, I put in a 960GB Crucial M500 solid state drive on day one - I wanted to go all-digital this go-around, and I knew I would need the space. Less than 12 months since launch, and I am down to 600GB free space. At this rate, I will need to start deleting games before I even get to the 2-year mark probably - crazy, since the 250GB drive in my PS3 was enough for 8+ years lol

Also, people tend to forget how much storage space you lose to the OS. Out of the box, I believe PS4 only gives you ~400GB to use. I think with my SSD, it was something like ~840GB free on a fresh install. The OS itself can't be more than 10GB, so I think Sony is reserving a ton of extra space for both future updates and some sort of game caching (like the fetch/paging file in Windows, possibly).

Either way, 400GB does't go very far with games like Last Of Us being 50GB all by themselves ;) Just imagine how big Gran Turismo 7 will be -  first 100GB game??? hahaha

Around the Network

I was clever to wait to buy a PS4 :)

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

considering I was shocked at how quickly my 320GB PS3 filled up, this is a huge relief jumping to next gen. I went to install a demo the other night and it said "Not Enough Space on Hard Disk" I was like, "whatttttt?!?!" and I checked, sure enough it was full. Games, movies, songs and especially game installs fills up faster than you think. Soon even 1TB will be considered average.

I installed a 1TB straight away in my PS4 wasn't worth messing around, as over time on my PS3 it filled up 500gb. With games getting bigger (30-50gb installs) 500 wouldn't last long.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!