By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Something Xbox gamers are now saying

Doesn't matter. If it was at the same time as the console release you would have a point. However Microsoft I am sure see's the daily/weekly/monthly numbers for both of these titles and feels that it isn't worth it to keep it completely exclusive.

As long as it stays off a Sony platform they are more than happy. Plus Microsoft doesn't see PC as competition.

Around the Network

Microsoft may be testing the waters with a more profitable fallback position should the XB1 never really take off. The XB1 as it now exists is already a pale shadow of what they clearly wanted it to be : a massive paywall money printing press that cha-chinged every time you did anything at all in your living room.

As it now stands the console is about neutral on a per-unit basis, and they only make $$ on game and XBLG sales. That works great if you're a market leader, and not so great if you're on track to sell less than half of your last-gen global totals for the gen.

On PC however, if they can sell 2M of this, 4M of that, 10M of their various major IPs on a consistent basis, they could rake serious $$$ in.

With DX12 making PCs much more graphically efficient, and iGPU getting rapidly more powerful, PC gaming could be a cash cow for them. 100M PS4s? "That's okay, how bout 900M DX12-ready Win9 PCs.?"

Xbox as a project is still many billions in the hole. Slim profits from the tail end of 360 couldn't balance the overall numbers from the OG and RROD money pits.

In retrospect, if they had built Steam themselves, they could have really brought gaming forward and made tens of billions in profits over the same period of time by building studios and releasing top-notch games. They could even have made a lightweight gaming-centric Windows edition that was low-overhead and had the XBL frontend ready to go.

They were terrified that Sony was going to take over the living room and threaten their bottom line, a truly monumentally stupid idea. What actually happened is they got blindsided by Google and Apple, who are the new 21st century titans that threaten Microsoft as mobile continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

Ali_16x said:
kinisking said:
Idk why it matters. Most people don't have a pc to run it. If you're a console player it doesn't matter if it's on pc. Ms gets bashed whether they support pc or dont

But they aren't supporting PC with this. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse Son of Rome releasing on PC is not MS supporting PC because they don't own the games nor are they publishing it. If MS was really supporting PC they would release there owned IPs to PC but that won't happen.

Doesn't Microsoft own Fable? Caaaause I'm pretty sure Fable 3 got released on PC. o.o (Legit question, for all I know they might NOT own Fable. xP )

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Mr Puggsly said:

Hey, competition is great. I think SteamOS will encourage better video game support from MS on the PC.

However, it doesn't make much sense to switch to SteamOS simply because many games won't be ported to SteamOS. Furthermore, Windows gives me access to virtually anything on SteamOS.

If Valve decides to make games exclusively for SteamOS, well that would just piss off many Steam users.

Oh yeah, I doubt any relevant game will be Linux-exclusive. Developers are increasinlgly optomizing for the Linux platform though, since Valve themselves push the platform.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

So... who is saying this?

Around the Network

Don't a lot of these games get a Mac release too? So when people say Pc release it typically means home computer and not necessarily just Windows. Might be Windows exclusive in the case of Dry and Ryse, but still can't always be assumed to be MS exclusive.

In any case a PC release of any sort isn't doing Xbox any favours, so it's a claim for the broader MS fan rather than the more narrow Xbox fan.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think many microsoft ppl looking this wrongly, I mean microsoft make $ of window only if they buy PC for the few microsoft exclusive, you really think some ppl would not have buy them if they was not comming ? i got a pc with or without micosoft exlusive, this mean they just cut the Xboxone to me, nothing more.

So they not got 100$ extra for window, they juste got 100- 400.

Mr Puggsly said:

People seem to have the impression every noteworthy Xbox game is on PC. That's far from reality.

But that is the actual problem after all. It is not the factual number of list exclusives, but the customers' impression that all XOne games will eventually come to PC. 

It is for those people hard to justify a purchase of an inferior console which only has a few exclusives that all (in their impression) will come to PC in under a year. 

Therefore, XOne's target market remains shrunk to people who don't want to fiddle with PC gaming, and are satisfied to pay the same price for a machine that plays all the same games as competition, but worse.

As we can see, that target market was never large, and is shrinking every week.

Once Halo MCC inevitably comes to PC in the second half of 2015, that target market will shrink even further. And this has a very high posdibility of happening, as MS leadership clearly supports their software departments more than some non-core, expendable hardware products. 

Yeah, these "arguments" are new to this generation, they can just say it's console exclusive or some subset, but PCs in the end are another category of devices, and unless the games appear in the official windows store they may as be on linux as far as direct revenue goes (indirectly having a large library of software makes your OS easier to sell...

So this new thing is just trolling, they want to hold on to something?

kinisking said:
Idk why it matters. Most people don't have a pc to run it. If you're a console player it doesn't matter if it's on pc. Ms gets bashed whether they support pc or dont

LOL DR3 is easy to run.