By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the PS4 versions of multiplats really better??

dangerguy said:
jnemesh said:
dangerguy said:

I don't really have an opinion, but your answer helps my point. Look where both systems ended up in overall worldwide sales 7-8 years down the road. Both essentially neck and neck at 83 million systems each. Both hugely successful systems with different things to offer. And this despite a really rocky first 1-2 years for the PS3 and multiplats looking inferior for at least the first few years compared to 360 (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-graphics-comparison-round-5/1100-6242816/).

What's happening today with regards to PS4 vs Xbox One is completely irrelevant to the end result 5-7 years from now. From PS3's launch in 2006 and through 2007 and really for years beyond that they got their ass kicked by 360, but look where they are now. It didn't matter. Nothing is going to be decided in the first couple years.

You are forgetting one crucial difference.  Last gen, the PS3 was also a Blu-Ray movie player, which the Xbox 360 lacked.  MANY of the sales of the PS3 were due to that one feature...also, the PS3 has a FAR larger library of exclusive titles.

This gen, the console that needs to come up from behind has inferior hardware AND an inferior selection of games.  How is that going to happen, exactly?

Any perceived inferiority that may exist today or existed early this year will be gone by this fall. Destiny is 1080p on both systems, they also just announced that Diablo will release for both systems at 1080p/60fps.  That's all gone, my friend. And for the few hundred fanatics like us that scour message forums and debate this stuff, there are thousands that don't and are completely oblivious to it. Every single other friend I have that I play with often, only 1 out of about 10 of us are even on message forums and gaming websites. And I'm that one. These guys are mostly casual gamers that have no idea that there's this massive framerate/resolution battle online and they all own Xbox Ones and love them and love the games they're playing.

You do realize that developers have to do stuff like reduce graphical settings, sacrifice image quality, etc. just to get the games running in Native 1080p w/60 FPS on Xbox One, right? Turn 10 had to do that with Forza 5. The hardware on Xbox One simply isn't strong enough to run all games in Native 1080p w/60 FPS without cutting corners/using compromises.

End result: Xbox One versions of multiplat games won't exactly look as terrific as the PS4 versions of multiplat titles when you put them side by side.

Another thing, once 3rd party publishers/developers get away from cross gen development with 360 & PS3, & as future 3rd party games gets more & more demanding, guess what? Xbox One will fall further & further behind. And those two games that you mentioned? They're cross-gen titles (Diablo III came from last gen), & they aren't exactly very demanding games to begin with, especially not graphically demanding.

Around the Network

I agree with this post. graphics matter to a point,but I've never understood the technical talk. I have a simple 32 inch flatscreen sanyo,but don't have Hd. that's good enough for me.

Garland said:

End result: Xbox One versions of multiplat games won't exactly look as terrific as the PS4 versions of multiplat titles when you put them side by side.

Another thing, once 3rd party publishers/developers get away from cross gen development with 360 & PS3, & as future 3rd party games gets more & more demanding, guess what? Xbox One will fall further & further behind. And those two games that you mentioned? They're cross-gen titles (Diablo III came from last gen), & they aren't exactly very demanding games to begin with, especially not graphically demanding.

Your opinion that " Xbox One versions of multiplat games won't exactly look as terrific as the PS4 versions of multiplat titles when you put them side by side." would only be possible if you literally put 2 of the same tvs and had the same game running at the same point in the game.  On top of that, you would not be playing the game, you would be watching the game.  That is the fatal flaw iin every argument made by most commenters in this thread.  They concede that will never be the case.  Even if you know that the differences in the recent multiplats will be so small that you would have a hard time seeing them during gameplay, the end answer is the same.  If the difference can't be noticed during gameplay, why does it matter? 

The multiplats going forward will more than likely actually be very similar.  Companies releasing games have seen what happens when the XB1 version is inferior to the PS4 version by almost any real amount.  They find that the XB1 owers are less likely to buy.  They don't want to hurt sales, so they ensure Parity or close to it.  They want people to talk about how good their game is in general, not how bad the XB1 version is.

Unfortunately, the only games that will maximize the power of the PS4 will be exclusives.  Prepare to be mildly underwhelmed by the multiplats going forward...

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
Garland said:

Your opinion that " Xbox One versions of multiplat games won't exactly look as terrific as the PS4 versions of multiplat titles when you put them side by side." would only be possible if you literally put 2 of the same tvs and had the same game running at the same point in the game.  On top of that, you would not be playing the game, you would be watching the game.  That is the fatal flaw in every argument made by most commenters in this thread.  They concede that will never be the case.  Even if you know that the differences in the recent multiplats will be so small that you would have a hard time seeing them during gameplay, the end answer is the same.  If the difference can't be noticed during gameplay, why does it matter? 

The multiplats going forward will more than likely actually be very similar.  Companies releasing games have seen what happens when the XB1 version is inferior to the PS4 version by almost any real amount.  They find that the XB1 owers are less likely to buy.  They don't want to hurt sales, so they ensure Parity or close to it.  They want people to talk about how good their game is in general, not how bad the XB1 version is.

Unfortunately, the only games that will maximize the power of the PS4 will be exclusives.  Prepare to be mildly underwhelmed by the multiplats going forward...

Except that more & more people are buying multiplat games on PS4 than on Xbox One, anyways, whatever they're similar or not. Destiny & Diablo III won't be much different.

Guess what happens should PS4 gets an even higher install base later on in the future? You really think that 3rd party publishers will give a crap about parity just to appeal to a very small install base of Xbox One owners? Ha!

The simple answer yes. The PS4 is better thus the games are better.

Around the Network

lol I dont need to put my car on a race track to tell that its worse than a lamborghini gallardo.

That statement sounds a lot funnier after I realised your sig....
"DON'T CONFUSE EFFORT WITH PRODUCTIVITY"

Garland said:
Landguy said:
Garland said:

Your opinion that " Xbox One versions of multiplat games won't exactly look as terrific as the PS4 versions of multiplat titles when you put them side by side." would only be possible if you literally put 2 of the same tvs and had the same game running at the same point in the game.  On top of that, you would not be playing the game, you would be watching the game.  That is the fatal flaw in every argument made by most commenters in this thread.  They concede that will never be the case.  Even if you know that the differences in the recent multiplats will be so small that you would have a hard time seeing them during gameplay, the end answer is the same.  If the difference can't be noticed during gameplay, why does it matter? 

Except that more & more people are buying multiplat games on PS4 than on Xbox One, anyways, whatever they're similar or not. Destiny & Diablo III won't be much different.

Guess what happens should PS4 gets an even higher install base later on in the future? You really think that 3rd party publishers will give a crap about parity just to appeal to a very small install base of Xbox One owners? Ha!

You have to understand that the world adores xbox and hates playstation. So even at 10:1 they will still reach parity.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

The fact this threat topic gets posted so often speaks volumes. If the difference between the PS4 and XB1 was so inconsequential we wouldn't get these types of topics with regularity.

fps_d0minat0r said:
lol I dont need to put my car on a race track to tell that its worse than a lamborghini gallardo.

That statement sounds a lot funnier after I realised your sig....
"DON'T CONFUSE EFFORT WITH PRODUCTIVITY"

are u sure? source

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

eva01beserk said:
Garland said:

You have to understand that the world adores xbox and hates playstation. So even at 10:1 they will still reach parity.

Sure, keep thinking that. If anything, only the U.S. cares about Xbox One.